Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Jul 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #91 of 1,082
The Koss Portapro isn't so good. I  gave mine away a few weeks ago. The JVC HAS400 at around $25 is really awesome though.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #92 of 1,082
I take back what I said about no burn in. Burning this guys in, makes a difference. believe it or not, they actually can sound better than I thought they could :xf_eek:

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #93 of 1,082
They seem to cost under $60 in the US, but is that price available in Asia?

I tried amazon.com, but after shipping and import fees to Indonesia it came to over $110 USD in the checkout section.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #94 of 1,082
TBH. Thats still a great deal. These things sound better than $300 + headphones graphically and by testing how they sound by ear. You could pay $250+ and still have a decent deal....

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #95 of 1,082
Lol I'd still like to find the best deal/s in Asia first.  Umm are they made by Pioneer America or Pioneer Japan?

Are they open-air or sealed?  What's the isolation like?  Can't tell very well from the pictures I glanced at.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #96 of 1,082
I'll compare it to the hd650 and hd580 still skeptical but we will see

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #97 of 1,082
Quote:
Quote:
Are you gonna be patient and do the mod first, or rip into it like a junkie needing a fix? 
biggrin.gif

They aren't mutually exclusive! I'm gonna rip into it like a junkie to mod that bad boy!

Fair enough, I hadn't considered that.  Obvious answer is obvious. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I always try headphones stock before doing any mods but I will keep that thought in mind... I also have some L cushions on the way for my grado sr60is speaking of cheap open cans lol. 

Yup, Grado is always a reliable standby in this price range. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, kinda want to tell Beagle about this. He and I were chatting about the SE-A1000 - and the lack of interest in it - around this time last year. Boy will he be surprised to see this all of a sudden.

Yes, these were nice headphones and I was so grateful to warrenpchi for letting me know about the mod and guiding me through the process. Unfortunately, I don't own them anymore but may reacquire them at some point.

Carpe diem! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just grabbed the last two pairs from Amazon UK. OK not as cheap as in the USA, but still peanuts really. Why two? Well why have one if you can have two at twice the price? Especially this price 
biggrin.gif

Though I've never had any build quality issues with it (other than the loose fit), I'm actually thinking about picking up a back-up just in case the worst should happen.

Quote:
I take back what I said about no burn in. Burning this guys in, makes a difference. believe it or not, they actually can sound better than I thought they could :xf_eek:

Really?  TBH, it's been so long that I don't even remember what they sounded like out-of-the-box. 
confused.gif

Quote:
Umm are they made by Pioneer America or Pioneer Japan?

Dunno actually, I tossed the box away long ago. 
frown.gif

Quote:

Are they open-air or sealed?  What's the isolation like?  Can't tell very well from the pictures I glanced at.

They are definitely open, so don't count on any isolation.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #99 of 1,082
I need more ear time but man I am impressed... Seriously impressed!

Really early thoughts after 2 hours of listening:

Soundstage = pretty much amazing!
Imaging = just under pretty much amazing!
Highs = perfect! I really can't imagine better!
Mids = a lot to like here. I haven't heard much better.
Bass= has the range, has punch as regard to speed, but I feel that it's missing a little of the presence that I like. I like a little more "feel" in the bass. It's better than the grados for sure that but not as deep as some of the closed phones I have owned.
Tubes=really has made a huge difference in the sound, ive played with 4 tubes tonight with different experiences on each. With one I thought it was the best I've ever heard rodrigo y gabriela live but it left a lot to desire with rise against. One was great with Kanye ( but still felt a smidge light in the bass region) but was not the best I've heard DMB before.

I think that with the right tube or tubes this headphone could meet all my needs and I wouldn't miss any of my others. That is huge for phones under $55 bucks.

More to come over the weekend with a lot more tube rolling and ABing with my darth Beyers.

PS . I haven't modded the headband yet. When I first put it on I felt it would slide all the way down my jaw. While sitting it didn't move a millimeter and was as comfortable as any headphone I've ever worn

I will only mod the band if it loosens up any. Right now my mod priority is replacing the 20 foot cable

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #100 of 1,082
Wow! 
eek.gif
  That good eh? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #102 of 1,082
Ok seriously guys stop tempting me. I already have way too many cheapo headphones. 
speaking of these though, how would they compare to fan favorites in the budget range?
I know the takstars and somics are also toted around here. 
Also....shameless endorsement. But the 681 evos might just be better than the k701/q701.  I know at least one person who preferred these to the k702. Not sure how legitimate "insert random guy on the internet" opinion is going to be but...negative reviews are almost none existent. Main complaint is with treble but it's also extremely confusing. half say it's too bright and unnatural, the other half complain that they reduced the highs too much

I wanna see how they compete to all these, especially the pioneer.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #104 of 1,082
Quote:
I need more ear time but man I am impressed... Seriously impressed!

I think that with the right tube or tubes this headphone could meet all my needs and I wouldn't miss any of my others. That is huge for phones under $55 bucks.

wafflezz, for the people on here at the forum, on this thread. Have said this are amazing. THEY DO NOT COMPARE WITH ANYTHING UNDER $200. These phones used to cost $220. They were the flagship headphone of the Pioneer company. i.e... The HD800 of Pioneer. In all honesty , I find them to be better than the HD 650.  Also bce22 has lots of high quality phones and amps/dacs. He find thems to be capable of becoming his main phone. It is only $55. Thats all that needs to be said. If there was a phone to be end-game. I kid you not, it is up there as high contender. gooday

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #105 of 1,082
Quote:
I will only mod the band if it loosens up any. Right now my mod priority is replacing the 20 foot cable

LOL, make it balanced while you're at it! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back