Pioneer newsletter subscribers...50% off code for select headphones
Aug 31, 2010 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cam94z28

100+ Head-Fier
I don't want to give my code away in case it's a 1 time use, but there is a code contained in the newest Pioneer email Newsletter for up to 50% off, the following:

Full Size/Gaming (45-50% off)
SE-A1000, SE-MJ3, and HA-S31

Earbud (30-45% off)
SE-CLX50JH, SE-CLX50-JK, SE-CL30, SE-CL20U-X-S, SE-CL25DN, SE-CN25-X1, SE-CS22

Clip/Sports (25-30% off)
SE-E11, SE-E22-J1, SE-E33-X1, SE-E33-X2

I am extremely tempted to get the SE-A1000 (their first open cans), but they're only about $10 more at amazon after the discount. It comes up at $75 + tax after discount. SE-MJ3 comes up already discounted in the cart to $49.99, marked down to $23.52 after discount. I'd like the SE-A1000, but don't think I can pass up the MJ3 at that price.

EDIT: Both the SE-MJ3, and SE-MJ5 appear to be an open or semi-open design. Zoom in on their pix at amazon. I'm betting these will sound pretty good when I get them.

I would suggest signing up for the newsletter to anyone interested. The coupon goes till the 8th, so it's possible you'll be sent this edition of the newsletter.

EDIT: Deal over, back to regular prices. FYI, the MJ3's are not very good. 30 minutes after listening to them at a moderate level out of my Headstage Lyrix Pro amp, the Left channel is blown. It's not blown as if the cone is torn and buzzing, but it is an air farting type of sound. If the drivers could match their power handling rating, and they got rid of the V EQ curve (boosted, harsh treble), these would actually sound great. In standard form, -5db on the treble, and they were still too sibilant. They had really nice mids, light bass but it responds well to EQ.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 4
np, the MJ5's look more like the common Pioneer DJ phones, but the MJ3's seem more portable.

I'm really surprised the SE-A1000's don't have at least some kind of following here. They are their first Audiophile geared cans I've seen.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Just wanted to add, for those that don't get the newsletter, the SE-M290, and SE-M390 are a very good price at amazon. They are a ported design, and supposedly have lots of deep bass. For 30 bux, I'm in for the 390. Ok, it's time to stop buying cans for a while.

Here are frequency graphs for the SE-MJ5 (one model up from MJ3), and SE-M390 (previous model to the SE-M290), scroll down:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/se-mj5.html
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/se-m390.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back