Pink noise works wonders for burning-in!
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #211 of 382
I know people are saying that trying to "pink noise" armature drives in IEMs dont really work, but then I've just did about 24 hours on my UE-SF3s. (just for the fun of it)

It might be me "paying attention" after... or it might actually be the IEMS. When I was listening to a few songs, while i surf the internet, i started to hear MORE than what I heard before. There was more prominent mids and highs compared to before and the bass is a lot more "distinct" and less "boomy".

I will surely take my friend's pair of UE-SF3 to compare next week. (his hasnt touched pink noise or w/e at all). Then after, I'll know whether the pink noise has done good, or it may be me.

btw... i used an attenuator throughout the whole 24 hours, and i usually use one when i play music.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #212 of 382
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can download a free 15 second Pink Noise sample from the other link, or pay more for a full 15 minute version.

I haven't had time to read all this thread but I'm shocked at this. I could make 10 mins of pink noise on a wav file for you in ... mmmm, let's see, just over 10 minutes!! And someone is charging for this? Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work!

If there is someone who can host it for others to access, I'll create a 48kfS/16bit interleaved stereo pink noise file (uncompressed wav or aif), with one channel flipped out of phase if you like? Any other requests? I'll only do this once and I don't have time to be sending files out to loads of different people.

Whoops, I should have read the rest of the thread, there are lot's of pink noise files available, ignore the above.

Gregorio

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #216 of 382
Burn-in does work for my EP630 (i've used it for 100+ hours already before i burn-in it). Sound is much smoother especially the high, tighter bass, soundstage opening up abit (maybe due to smoother sound). Overall i am happy with the burn-in with pink noise (10 hours) and i will burn-in my AH-C700 when i get it.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #217 of 382
I've used white noise on my ER4Ps and have reported it here on Head-fi. A lot of forum members and Old Schoolers seems to think that armatures do not burn-in (I beg to differ!). Judging by this thread, there are a growing minority of beleivers and also I ran across this site of what others may think on the subject, here. Also I see ER4Ps big brother on the list.
etysmile.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #218 of 382
Ive been running pink noise through my alessandro MS1 when Im not listening to them for almost 2 months. I have it set to play 20 minutes on, 2 minutes off at normal listening volumes. I can hear a difference for sure. The first thing I noticed was how much smoother it sounded than new. The bass is less boomy, but sounds tighter and not as muddy. The mids and highs are much more refined and smoothed out. The notes dont blur together as much as they used to, which makes it easier to hear details. The burn in also seemed to help a bit with soundstage and image seperation. Overall, id say the burn in made them sound more mellow and smooth while adding more resolution and detail.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #219 of 382
Does anyone know whats the bit rate of the pink noise used in burn wave generator? Also does the FLAC encoding work better than the one in the program?

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #221 of 382
So, is there a consensus on whether or not using pink noise decreases the overall burn-in time?

It would make sense that using pink noise, which exercises the drivers at all frequencies simultaneously, would mean less time for the drivers to "settle", so to speak.

I'm asking specifically for a brand-new pair of K 701s that just arrived. I've been looping a 20 minute pink noise track followed by a 2 minute silence track, for about three hours now. The plan is to listen to music through them when I'm at my desk, and let the pink noise play when I'm not, until I get to about 300 hours (the normal burn-in time for the K 701s).

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #222 of 382
After reading this whole article :tired:, I tried to re-burn-in my HD280's (previously burned in for over 300hrs, total listening time: 1000-2000hrs) with continuous pink noise with 2min breaks every 30mins..

After only 4hrs, I clearly sensed a slight increase in the bass impact and detail overall.

Really interesting for such a heavy-used headphone to change after a couple of 1000 hrs... hmmm...

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #224 of 382
Let it on noise for longer periods and the same amount of breaks.. Like: 30min-1hr noise and 2-5min break... For the very early hours, don't push your headphone, let it stretch slowly. First, start from low levels and furtheron increase the loudness.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #225 of 382
Okay i just got done burning in my RP-HTX7s and holy s***! These have alot more snap and punch to them and alot more detail than i expected and the sound stage widened just a tad which is nice i am impressed
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back