pimpin' my ride
May 19, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 45
Things I'd consider getting or looking into the condition of:

Fluids and filters: air filter, oil filter, transmission fluid trap, oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid

sparkplugs, sparkplug cables, distributer/distributer cap, breakpads
oxygen sensor, clutch, tires.

Most are pretty cheap, and easy to do yourself. They should make the car run longer, better and cleaner. They can also improve safety. A safe car is pretty pimp to me.

Oh, possibly fuel pump, too.

May 19, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 45
dana kelly?.......and i don't think so on the lowering bit...i've got so many dang bumps in my hill that i have to drive around alot of them or i''ll ram the bottom.....it rains so dang much in sitka that you get really bad little rivers eating at your gravel (even after you get it graded)

May 19, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 45
i was thinking maybe adding a sunroof?...any recommendations?....here's the pics, but bigger.....(got an image host finally!)
car1.jpg

car2.jpg

May 20, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #22 of 45
go to autozone, but some plastic spinner hub caps, you'll definitely get stupidity looks from people if that's what you're after

May 20, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #24 of 45
A friend of mine used to have a car just like yours. I think it is actually built by Toyota or maybe it was Nissan.

If I was you, first I would fix that stereo mess, so that it looks better. Some nice floor mats would be next. Then some cheap seat covers. The auto parts store should have some spray on glue for fixing the headliner. But to be really cool, get a moosehide and glue up there
icon10.gif
j/k
For the outside, that car would look good in a very dark grey primer. Even black. Paint on some flames but only the outline and do it in thin white lines. Paint the wheels an argent color. It's a dark silver grey a shade or two darker than the original color you can see showing through. Maybe add some rally lights and a grill gaurd. Heck, with that car you could mount some KC Dayliters on the roof. A fake roll bar in side would be a nice touch.

Don't spend too much money on things that you can't take with you when you get a better car.

EDIT; Here is a recent shot of my car. I've had over ten years, and it isn't finished yet
rolleyes.gif
duster.jpg.w560h420.jpg

May 20, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 45
Fix up the interior like PD posted, then get your suspension rtaised. Either a 3-4" lift, or something huge like an 8" lift with really supple shocks for a real nice smooth ride. Then just paint the outside a solid colour and you're all set.

May 20, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 45
With an old car also follow the 3 B's rule..... bodywork bodywork bodywork.

Forget about the insides of the car and get to work on the body. Put the car up on a ramp and inspect the underside of the vehicle. If there's excessive underseal it could be there to hide rust / holes so don't be afraid to prod any suspect areas with a screwdriver.

Looking at the age of the car and the fact it lives in Alaska (snow and salty roads) it wouldn't surprise me if the underside of the car was rotting away with rust... this is your first area of the car to check and the part of the car is most likely to require attention. The sill looks like it could do with a bit of attention.

Once you have dealt with the underside go to work on the bodywork. cut out all the rust to fresh metal and repair with fibre glass and fill with body filler...... either that or fix new panels and wings onto the car.

There's really no point in you covering the seats with fake leopard skin covers and attaching 2 furry dice to the rear view mirrors only to find the floor pan collapses when you are driving along leaving your "ass" on the road
eek.gif

Get the bodywork repaired first and then start tarting the car up.

Looks very like a VW Jetta or some sort of Datsun?

Pinkie.

If you can't be bothered with bodywork then just enjoy driving your car............ I think it looks great as it is (seriously) a true classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back