PIMETA v2 or CmoyBB as first project?
Jul 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hmohammed43

Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I have a quick question, I'm planning my first DIY audio project (building a pocket amp) and I was wondering if my first project should be a PIMETA or a Cmoy (with bass boost). I like the PIMETA because it has a built in part on the PCB for a trickle charger, but the Cmoy seems easier to build, confusion from a small 18 year old :S

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 4
If you've never soldered before, get your self some strip board and cheap resistors from ebay and practice soldering them following the various guides around. a CMOY is a good, inexpensive place to start and you get something out it. Once you're comfortable, or at least have learned some lessons from the build you could move on to more expensive builds. While I think the PIMETA would be fine for a first build, there is nothing like having a bit more confidence from easier project.
Just take your time, buy good tools (temperature controlled solder station is useful, 63/37 lead/tin solder is nice, find a tip you're comfortable with, get braid and a sucker, side cutters, a multimeter, take your time and follow the instructions, measure the DC at the output and test on cheap headphones first). Once you've got a working project under your belt the skys the limit.  Just take your time (I think I've made that point :) ) and double check everything!
Which ever you choose, have fun :D

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the info, i'll start with the Cmoy, then do a few and then do the PIMETA. As for the cheap headphones, time to raid my sister's room! (no way am i blowing the drivers on my NC300Ds)

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 4
To avoid blowing the drivers measure the DC between each of the output channels and ground with the volume all the way down. You don't want more than a few mV, especially into sensitive headphones. Still a good idea to use someone elses headphones for your first run
evil_smiley.gif

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back