Pillow help
Jun 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

funniecow

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, recently my pillow had "pancaked" on me. So I'm in the market for some new pillows. When I visited SEARS, I was amazed on the type of pillows that are out on the market now. So I'm a bit confused. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

My guidelines are:
Made of materials that won't heat up, I live in Hawaii, it's already warm
Available from bricks and mortar, since I don't have a paypal (sears?)
Durable, this is a important aspect
Not too expensive maybe $25 a pillow price range?

If it helps, I'm a chest/side sleeper.

Some of the things I saw were:
Egyptian Cotton
Memory Foam
Puff ball stuffing
Ones that help you with posture, both chest and side sleepers
Ones with beads in them

I've never really shopped for pillow on my own before. My aunt told me to just get two at ROSS. Because it's Lauren brand. I don't know much about pillows, and when I searched Google for "pillow forums" it came up with sleeping disorders.

The stores in the Hawaii area are:
Ross
SEARS
Macy's
Wal-Mart
And a bunch of small stores taht I dont' know the name to.

Thanks for reading, please help.

Edit: I can't wait to see Uncle Erik's suggestion, you/he has some of the nicest toys/suggestions.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Unless you run into a total dork, ask the salesperson at Sears. Or, if you have a Macy's around, try there as well. I did the same thing a few years back and ended up with a decent product.

Remember that a firm pillow now will be comfortable in a month or so, and a mushball in a couple of years. Egyptian cotton is very expensive. If you intend to use a pillowcase, it's not really necessary. Memory foam is likely just...foam rubber (or are they implanting chips in them...haha).

Once you get someone to give you their shpiel, grab a few and take them to the mattress department. Try them out to make sure everything is hu'i hu'i!

Happy dreams to you. Aloha.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 15
since you live in hawaii

Chillow

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Can you find anything with down? I highly recommend down pillows.

If I wasn't in a different province, I'd check to see what my regular pillow is (it's some sort of foam). It's retained an amazing shape over a few years, but it still doesn't hold a candle to most down I've seen.

Jun 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Although I like a memory foam mattress, the pillow sleeps hot and seems to trap heat.

I don't know if they are available in brick & mortar stores, but pillows filled with buckwheat hulls seem to provide the best comfort and are the most breathable of any I've tried. They endu up being like a custom fit IEM for your head
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Get a firm polyfill pillow

I highly recommend the Ralph Lauren pillows because even 5 years later, they are still comfortable and full. It is because they aren't "Stuffed" The fill is actually a shaped piece or collection of fibers so they do not move around in the pillow and fluffing them is very easy. Stay away from the stuffed variety and get the shapped. They cost a bit more but last 2-3x's as long.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 15
im tellin you. go with a chillow on top of a memory foam pillow. comfort and coolability
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 15
Jun 30, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Latex. I paid $60 for my pillow, and it's some of the better money I've ever spent. I also have a latex bed, due to my back condition, however that's another story.

Do yourself good, you know you spend 1/3 of your life on a bed and pillow? Don't get something "good enough". Take care of your health, you're will thank me after you try one. Trust me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 15
I like down and down alternative the best. They cost a lot more but are worth it as far as I'm concerned. Only problem with down is that they can really flatten out over time. An easy fix is to combine the contents of 3 of them to make 2 after a year or so. I agree with the poster who said that memory foam mattresses are great but memory foam pillows tend to get hot.

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 15
I was in Japan two weeks ago and one of the hotel I stayed one night has a two sided pillow with one side probably buckwheat hulls and the other side sort like regular firm pillow. Very comfortable. Should have asked the hotel for information.

Anyone in Japan might have the answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back