Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2,526 of 37,653
Quote:
No, you will have to get a custom Kernel. I worte a guide up for someone through PM, i will send it too you if you would like, it is worthwhile!
Correct :wink:
Sorry for stealing your reply :wink: I have uploaded a few things lately, EB-50 unboxing and an IEM round up. Somethigs will be coming shortly as well, AK100 and IE800 related :wink:

No need to be sorry, and  I appreciate your wonderful work.
The IE800 will be the one to look for.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,527 of 37,653
Just updated my rig since I last submitted my post.

Old iPod 160gb died.
Fiio LOD got replaced.
R/A Interconnect for stress relief and convenience got replaced. 
NEW CUPS FROM MARTIN CUSTOM AUDIO! 

iPod Classic 240GB > iSkin Claro > Ultra-Low profile LOD (cogsand gears) > Fiio e17 > Custom R/A stress relief  > Denon D2000's fitted with Cocobolo Rosewood cups (Martin Custom Audio)

I love this rig. Its so so compact and perfect for quieter travel and places outside home. No loose connections. No excess hanging cables flopping around. The iSkin Claro is a monster strong case for the classic. The R/A Interconnect is superglued to the main body, but protects the items from superglue damage by a piece of sticky tape. (Full view will expose this)

I personally find the use of rubber bands around my rig really annoying.
They move, aren't secure unless you manage to double or triple them over and cause the rig to catch to on fabric in bags and pockets. In short I have a little thing against them :p
In my first rig I used low-profile dual lock but i went one step further this time. 

This time I used duct tape on the joining sides, and in similar fashion to before, superglued the two pieces together. This is Hyper Low Profile Joinery :wink:

My rig is based on versatility, form and function. It's compact, powerful and sounds great while holding all my music in uncompromised quality

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2,530 of 37,653
Quote:
Just updated my rig since I last submitted my post.

Old iPod 160gb died.
Fiio LOD got replaced.
R/A Interconnect for stress relief and convenience got replaced. 
NEW CUPS FROM MARTIN CUSTOM AUDIO! 

iPod Classic 240GB > iSkin Claro > Ultra-Low profile LOD (cogsand gears) > Fiio e17 > Custom R/A stress relief  > Denon D2000's fitted with Cocobolo Rosewood cups (Martin Custom Audio)

I love this rig. Its so so compact and perfect for quieter travel and places outside home. No loose connections. No excess hanging cables flopping around. The iSkin Claro is a monster strong case for the classic. The R/A Interconnect is superglued to the main body, but protects the items from superglue damage by a piece of sticky tape. (Full view will expose this)

I personally find the use of rubber bands around my rig really annoying.
They move, aren't secure unless you manage to double or triple them over and cause the rig to catch to on fabric in bags and pockets. In short I have a little thing against them :p
In my first rig I used low-profile dual lock but i went one step further this time. 

This time I used duct tape on the joining sides, and in similar fashion to before, superglued the two pieces together. This is Hyper Low Profile Joinery :wink:

My rig is based on versatility, form and function. It's compact, powerful and sounds great while holding all my music in uncompromised quality

May I ask why you have another 3.5mm jack connected to the FiiO E`7's 3.5mm jack?

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,533 of 37,653
Quote:
May I ask why you have another 3.5mm jack connected to the FiiO E`7's 3.5mm jack?

It's for convenience and practicality.

Every jack and plug has a maximum amount of cycles (how many times you can put it in and out before it stars to wear down inside.). Due to the frequency of use I put my rig through I knew that the jack on it that I plugged my HP's into would eventually wear down to be looser and provide a less secure fit. I can replace and reterminate my HP's any old day but it's more difficult and expensive to do the same for the E17 - I can't just do the plug, I have to buy a whole new amp. I plan on keeping my amp for a while so I permanently attached the R/A 3.5mm to the E17 which terminates into a female 3.5, effectively making the female jack the jack that gets repetitive wear, not the main one in the unit. 

The other reason it's like that is because of my usage habits. I pull and put my rig in my pocket(or bag) upside-down, so that when I reach for it in my pocket, it's the right way up in my hand already. It also means my headphone cable doesn't need to bend in any way to sit in my pocket. So in conclusion, it's both a stress-relief (in two ways) and a repositioning of jack to make it more convenient to use on the go and in my pocket. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,534 of 37,653
Quote:
D2000 How much was your low-profile LOD?

Cogsandgears did mine as a commission. I'll PM you the price as I do not wish to divulge any details he would not like shared :) I will tell you though that it was a very very reasonable and fair price. 

Quote:
To shorten the dangling cable,  the thing could also act asa converter between 3.5mm to the larger plug ( i forgot,  is it 6.8?)

That's true it could definitely act as a converter and would be a good option for those who have a different termination. In my case though it's a female 3.5mm (Neutrik is the brand) and I use it to reduce tangle.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #2,535 of 37,653
Quote:
It's for convenience and practicality.

Every jack and plug has a maximum amount of cycles (how many times you can put it in and out before it stars to wear down inside.). Due to the frequency of use I put my rig through I knew that the jack on it that I plugged my HP's into would eventually wear down to be looser and provide a less secure fit. I can replace and reterminate my HP's any old day but it's more difficult and expensive to do the same for the E17 - I can't just do the plug, I have to buy a whole new amp. I plan on keeping my amp for a while so I permanently attached the R/A 3.5mm to the E17 which terminates into a female 3.5, effectively making the female jack the jack that gets repetitive wear, not the main one in the unit. 

The other reason it's like that is because of my usage habits. I pull and put my rig in my pocket(or bag) upside-down, so that when I reach for it in my pocket, it's the right way up in my hand already. It also means my headphone cable doesn't need to bend in any way to sit in my pocket. So in conclusion, it's both a stress-relief (in two ways) and a repositioning of jack to make it more convenient to use on the go and in my pocket. 

Ahh, I see, but nevertheless, very nice looking rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back