Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Nov 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #436 of 37,737
Very Nice...Love the braided DIY cables!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #437 of 37,737
Heya,

I've played around and finally figured out a good resting place for me and my full-size portable setup. I use this daily pretty much when ever I go some where, even if it's just to the grocery store, campus, or just out to the bistro. I can't wear IEM's, they just bother my ears too much sadly. I don't like on-ears, as they are just annoying to me comfort wise. I like big headphones. I've always enjoyed how they look, how they feel. Style is also important, when it comes to big headphones. I've gone through quite a few headphones (sigh) looking for a sound and feel coupled with a build quality and isolation that would work as a full size portable. I've kayaked in Denon D5000's. But end of the day, the headphone that had all the qualities and look that I wanted, were the Beyer DT770 Premiums. I love the style of them, retro, but metro. Great passive isolation. Lots of room for tinkering which I've done too.

Nice, I've been getting some weird looks with my 770 premiums on-the-go too, good to know I'm not alone:D

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #438 of 37,737
Heya,
Quote:

Lovely set-up - currently got a similar set up but with just a clip+ using hp out, do you think the fuze and lod gonna be a worthwhile upgrade?

Depends on the headphones you're using. If you're using any Beyer, going to the Fuze with LOD plus an amplifier will definitely increase dynamics of your Beyers. Even the low impedance Beyers need current. Beyers are quite efficient, and make volume easily, but achieving full dynamics takes some juice with them in the lower registers. So if you're using a Beyer, I think it's absolutely worth while going to a setup that allows you to use LOD -> Amp, rather than just using the output of the Clip+ (which is great, but not enough for an 80ohm headphone or higher really).
Quote:

if you have the following amp/s paired with the Grado Sr80i please respond.
how much do they improve with a:
2)Fiio E11

I used to use my SR80i with my Fuze + Fiio E11. Sounds great. They do not benefit heavily from amplification, they're so efficient as it is. I did however like the pairing with the Fiio E11 for a different reason. The Fiio is kind of a dark amp, so it helped roll the treble down a little bit without having to resort to the awful EQ built into the Fuze (and I don't rockbox because it's EQ was not to my liking either). And sometimes, I did like putting the E11's bass EQ up a touch for some music, because believe or not, Grados can be pretty bassy. With EQ2 set and L-cush pads, the Prestige series can be used for dub-step if wanted.  So if you find your SR80i bright, and if you want to add a little warmth, the Fiio series can do that. Though maybe the Fiio E6 for $20 is a cheaper way to play with that. The E11 these days is already cheaper, usually $50~60 tops, even less used. So either way not an expensive way to "play".

Very best,

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #439 of 37,737
Quote:

Heya,

Depends on the headphones you're using. If you're using any Beyer, going to the Fuze with LOD plus an amplifier will definitely increase dynamics of your Beyers. Even the low impedance Beyers need current. Beyers are quite efficient, and make volume easily, but achieving full dynamics takes some juice with them in the lower registers. So if you're using a Beyer, I think it's absolutely worth while going to a setup that allows you to use LOD -> Amp, rather than just using the output of the Clip+ (which is great, but not enough for an 80ohm headphone or higher really).

I used to use my SR80i with my Fuze + Fiio E11. Sounds great. They do not benefit heavily from amplification, they're so efficient as it is. I did however like the pairing with the Fiio E11 for a different reason. The Fiio is kind of a dark amp, so it helped roll the treble down a little bit without having to resort to the awful EQ built into the Fuze (and I don't rockbox because it's EQ was not to my liking either). And sometimes, I did like putting the E11's bass EQ up a touch for some music, because believe or not, Grados can be pretty bassy. With EQ2 set and L-cush pads, the Prestige series can be used for dub-step if wanted.  So if you find your SR80i bright, and if you want to add a little warmth, the Fiio series can do that. Though maybe the Fiio E6 for $20 is a cheaper way to play with that. The E11 these days is already cheaper, usually $50~60 tops, even less used. So either way not an expensive way to "play".

Very best,

You provide excellent write ups and you smoke a pipe. You sir are a champion.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #440 of 37,737
My new rig that I'm very happy with: Z2 w/ 96gb storage, UHA-6sMKII and Mad Dogs, case is a Tamrac camera bag.  

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #441 of 37,737
anyone can recommend an Amped Grado Sr80i iPod Video setup?

if you have the following amp/s paired with the Grado Sr80i please respond.

how much do they improve with a:
1)Headroom Total Airhead portable amp
2)Fiio E11
3)BBlabs Homemade CMOY Altoids amp
4)Gary's Electric Avenue PA2V2    <<

i've been thinking in an amp lately.
its not needed with Grado sr80i's but im thinking in one to improve some bits of sound, besides Bass. i dont need more bass

If you can stretch your budget, the Fiio E17. If not, the E11 is good as well.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #443 of 37,737
Quote:
my current setup, the sound is absolutely beautiful =)

Sony DAP -> O2 ->A2A sticker -> KSC35?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #444 of 37,737
ah yeah,

Sony HD5 > O2 > KSC35....you are correct.

HD5 has the line-out from the headphone jack, and it works very nice. Not much improve with O2 but with my home set-up, it is a big-step up from my old dac....

ps : yeah a2a sticker =))

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #445 of 37,737
Quote:
My new rig that I'm very happy with: Z2 w/ 96gb storage, UHA-6sMKII and Mad Dogs, case is a Tamrac camera bag.  

Nice rig and very nice pics...

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #446 of 37,737
Nov 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #448 of 37,737
Quote:
My friend set up :
Alo Pan Am + Alo Passport external Battery power supply + Alo Class + iPhone 4 S
+ LCD 2 rev 1
63d633678f60f4a7ea126928cbe0f369_zps9bbd54d7.jpg

My set up :
Alo RX 3 B + Fostex hp p 1 + iPhone 4 S + LCD 3
be2e9a6b3d0485a29d36f918a894327f_zpsacb96ba3.jpg

who makes that thin gray rubber padding material ?
where would one buy it ?

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #450 of 37,737
Quote:
I'm confused - it this not a contradiction?

the manual said that the 3.5mm connection has 2 ways for the sound out : 1 headphone and 1 line-out (fixed volume, no eq) for connecting to the home multimedia system. You can switch audio output headphone or line-out by change the setting. I has seen this setting in Nokia mobile or Samsung (old model) before...and it works pretty same.

or maybe i use wrong words and make you confure :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back