Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #16,686 of 37,672
System One ( My favorite ) iPod Touch 5th generation and Sennheiser HD202

2nd System

JDS Labs c421
Apple iPhone 4
Sennheiser HD439

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #16,687 of 37,672
^^ HD202's.. My first taste of the head-fi world. I used to drive them via a x-fi card on my gaming PC. Brings back great memories.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #16,689 of 37,672
  Pics of my mini rig and maxi rig - there is a maxi-maxi somewhere around here as well... 
tongue.gif

Mini - iPod nano 7th > DIY silver 3.5m > Pico Slim

Maxi - iPod Classic > ALO SXC18 LOD > Pico Power

You don't see many 7th gen nano's posted on Head.Fi!!

I have been listening to this set-up more than my supposed "audiophile" rigs lately. The Sony MDR-AS800AP's were a revelation for the $30.00 AUD I paid. 80% of my DN1K's absolutely.

iPod Nano 7th gen with PortaPro leather case + Sony MDR-AS800AP Waterproof Sports In Ear Headphones. A Ultra Portable rig that weighs nothing and sounds very good.

I only got the case because the Nano 7th gen was so bloody tiny I thought I might lose it.

This particular set-up challenged very nearly everything I have ever read on Head.Fi and my wallet is not sorry in the least.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #16,690 of 37,672
^^ HD202's.. My first taste of the head-fi world. I used to drive them via a x-fi card on my gaming PC. Brings back great memories.

They are not perfect. The extension as you know on the high is a little dull compared to a flagship. The lows are low but again not as extended. So if you can get over the slight toy like quality, they are not guilty of doing anything really wrong.

I'm maybe most surprised my ears would fit inside. I would guess many don't get a fit with bigger ears. But yes, they are fun and keep me entertained while doing dog walks.

Instead of all the cheap headphones out there, I would call these the "Kings of Cheap".:p

They are silly easy to drive to as you know!

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #16,691 of 37,672

Keeping it simple. Happy weekend!

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #16,693 of 37,672
  Pics of my mini rig and maxi rig - there is a maxi-maxi somewhere around here as well... 
tongue.gif

Mini - iPod nano 7th > DIY silver 3.5m > Pico Slim

Maxi - iPod Classic > ALO SXC18 LOD > Pico Power

Yes, these are Earsonic Velvets which pretty much require an amplifier to reach their potential in a portable setup..... Yup, a 7th gen nano - lol... I hooked it up to my M8 with a mini lightning to USB connector and it looked hilarious, the CEntrance dwarfed the nano..... The Pico Slim is the same size - neat little setup except I have to use the HO.

As for amping Westone - my Pro50's sound better with an amp - and amping also did wonders for my old W4Rs..... so it isn't always cut and dried which IEM will do well with an amp - and adding an amp isn't really about volume (at least it shouldn't be) - amping makes low volume listening better as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back