Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Oct 10, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #14,206 of 37,653

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #14,208 of 37,653
Those headphones are the the vintage yamahas? I've always loved the look of those headphones, very steampunk looking

those are vintage pioneer  se-l40. i believe they are from the 60's.. yes i bought them purely because of the steampunk look. made from brass and steel. then when i plugged it to my ak240 i can't believe my own ear. they sound so good, simply one of the best from my collection. bit slow but very good playing those classic jazz records..

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #14,209 of 37,653
I wish. Even if you have the international s4 version it's still not at that level. It will be an enjoyable experience don't get me wrong. Even my iPhone 5s which has a super flat frequency response doesn't match it fully but yeah the iPhone is still my most used dap due to portability when I'm out and about. I do use the AK100 in winter though, as I have more pockets (jacket, etc).

The soundstage is bigger on AK100, detailing is better and so is separation. Bass is slightly more controlled. In my opinion it's about 10~15% improvement in sound. Mind you I only listen to EDM so for classical and other genres the difference may be even bigger. I also noticed female vocals don't give me goosebumps from the iPhone as they do from the AK100 MKII but it's a very subtle difference.

Don't do what I did and buy a bunch of DAP's until you find the perfect one. That schiit is too expensive. Do your research and buy the best for your preferences. I was gonna save for AK240 but the small size of AK100 is godlike for me (as is the price in comparison). Just make sure you will be okay with the interface before you buy. I hated the X5 and HM700 DAP interfaces with a passion, even though they sounded terrific. I commute 4 hours daily and wear fitted pants (no hipster srs) so I need hyper portables like AK100. The best smartphones for audio in my experience are: iPhone 4s/5/5s, Exynos based Samsung phones plus associated kernel tweaks, galaxy s1+ voodoo, HTC M8, HTC one. If you listen to music on bus, car, work I don't believe big stacks are worth it from an ergonomics/annoyance standpoint (for IEM's! on full size headphones [i.e DT770 Pro 80ohm, sound under powered plugged straight in to phone] an amp can make quite a big difference). This is coming from the guy who walked around with a theorem 720 strapped to his iPhone 5 for 4 months. Not worth it for IEM's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info . I'm a newbie in the world of headphones +amps ! Because of this site I built an audio rig. Samsung S4 > UAPP> UD120 (DAC) > EHP-02 (custom made) >DT770 pro 250 ohms.

I like streaming sound spotify and play mp3 but now my system SQ detailed & open I can hear the difference in SQ b/w mp3 and FLAC.
So that's why I asked - Is it worth paying a DAP for £150 (FLAC) or use my S4?

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #14,210 of 37,653

Sony NWZ-A867 > EarSonics Velvet Sound Signature 1

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #14,212 of 37,653
I wish. Even if you have the international s4 version it's still not at that level. It will be an enjoyable experience don't get me wrong. Even my iPhone 5s which has a super flat frequency response doesn't match it fully but yeah the iPhone is still my most used dap due to portability when I'm out and about. I do use the AK100 in winter though, as I have more pockets (jacket, etc).

The soundstage is bigger on AK100, detailing is better and so is separation. Bass is slightly more controlled. In my opinion it's about 10~15% improvement in sound. Mind you I only listen to EDM so for classical and other genres the difference may be even bigger. I also noticed female vocals don't give me goosebumps from the iPhone as they do from the AK100 MKII but it's a very subtle difference.

Don't do what I did and buy a bunch of DAP's until you find the perfect one. That schiit is too expensive. Do your research and buy the best for your preferences. I was gonna save for AK240 but the small size of AK100 is godlike for me (as is the price in comparison). Just make sure you will be okay with the interface before you buy. I hated the X5 and HM700 DAP interfaces with a passion, even though they sounded terrific. I commute 4 hours daily and wear fitted pants (no hipster srs) so I need hyper portables like AK100. The best smartphones for audio in my experience are: iPhone 4s/5/5s, Exynos based Samsung phones plus associated kernel tweaks, galaxy s1+ voodoo, HTC M8, HTC one. If you listen to music on bus, car, work I don't believe big stacks are worth it from an ergonomics/annoyance standpoint (for IEM's! on full size headphones [i.e DT770 Pro 80ohm, sound under powered plugged straight in to phone] an amp can make quite a big difference). This is coming from the guy who walked around with a theorem 720 strapped to his iPhone 5 for 4 months. Not worth it for IEM's.

Thank you for the info . I'm a newbie in the world of headphones +amps ! Because of this site I built an audio rig. Samsung S4 > UAPP> UD120 (DAC) > EHP-02 (custom made) >DT770 pro 250 ohms.

I like streaming sound spotify and play mp3 but now my system SQ detailed & open I can hear the difference in SQ b/w mp3 and FLAC.
So that's why I asked - Is it worth paying a DAP for £150 (FLAC) or use my S4?

Oh I misunderstood. I thought you were running your cans/IEM's straight from the headphone out of your phone. Once you have a decent dac/amp, upgrades to source are nowhere near aa significant as a new pair of cans or in ears. Unless your cans are underpowered by source (i.e trying to run DT770 80ohm+ straight from phone or a weak amp will result in the bass losing its authority and control). Such was the case with trying to run my 80ohm straight from iPhone. That's a nice setup you got there, I also started with DT770!

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #14,213 of 37,653
Congrats for your new Earsonic Velvet

How is the SQ compare to SM 64 v2

The toggle switch 1 , 2 and 3 :
What is the result from these 3 position toggle switch in term of SQ

The SQ compared to the SM64v2 is clearly better : transparency all along the spectrum, note sustainment, resolution, feeling of open space...

The 3 positions are :

The 3 signatures share the same qualities :wink:

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #14,220 of 37,653
How did you manage to make such a precise cutout?

The X1 came with the cutout skin. The Ostry's just required some tracing with some slight alterations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back