Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #11,446 of 37,652

Today's comprehensive exam rig: RBed Sansa Clip+ >>> C&C BH2 >>> Earsonics SM64 V2.

Surprisingly fun synergy between this mish-mash of budget and hi-end gear!

I really like your setup! The C&C never seems to disappoint.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #11,448 of 37,652
One final picture of my original (V1) 1Plus2 before they go to their new owner tomorrow.

They shall be replaced with 'hopefully' a pair of HD600 for desktop use (if the weak isolation is suitable for my environment)

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #11,449 of 37,652
  One final picture of my original (V1) 1Plus2 before they go to their new owner tomorrow.

They shall be replaced with 'hopefully' a pair of HD600 for desktop use (if the weak isolation is suitable for my environment)

With the money you get from selling these you could buy yourself at least three HD600 :|
Any idea what you want to buy with the additional money?

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #11,450 of 37,652
  With the money you get from selling these you could buy yourself at least three HD600 :|
Any idea what you want to buy with the additional money?

I will save any leftover change. 
smile.gif
 Give some back to the poor wallet.

My desperate expectations to purchase one last full-size headphone will probably fail miserably and the money will of course end up back into the hobby.

For now we can pray Tom, that doesn't happen.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #11,451 of 37,652
One thought :

Adding a very transparent AMP to the HUGO is a waste of money (except with VERY Hard to drive headphone).  But, adding an amp with "personality' may be... interesting.
biggrin.gif

This is why my "big" brick has HUG0>TU-05 tube amp:

- If I am in a mood for "transparence" & "purity", then I plug the Headphone directly into the HUGO headphone-out
  - If I am in a mood for a "warmer" sound; I plug the Headphone into the TU-05 headphone-out.

It depend on my mood, my music & the headphone used (Roxane is better direct on HUGO;  TH-900 better from TU-05 output)

...not a chance to pass airport security with this :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #11,453 of 37,652

I love all type of music but my favourite is Rnb, Hiphop, Jazz and blues.

For Rnb and Hiphop listening I used my ipod tied to my ALO and clas setup as must of my tracks are in 320kbs format and I loved the sound with that setup but for highrez audio I use my AK240 with my Roxanne. 

Now I've just replaced everything else, except for the AK240, HUGO and Roxanne.

I now use the ipod with Bluetooth though the HUGO when I want to listen to my usual 320k files, but when I'm at home I can use my HUGO as my home DAC connected to my Schiit Mjolnir through either my active speakers or my LCD2 headphones.

When I'm out and about and in the mood to listen to some highrez or DSD files I use my AK240 as source for my HUGO with the Roxanne.

A bit OTT I know, but it's what I enjoy so don't mind the cost.

To answer your question I find using the AK240 with the HUGO and the Roxanne to be a lot more fun listening to music than I did when it was just the AK240 and the Roxanne. The Roxanne now sounds a lot more like full size headphones using the HUGO then it did with just the AK240. I now rarely  use my home setup unless I want to listen using the active speakers. My LCD2 have now taken a back seat to my Roxanne when used through the HUGO.

Don't get me wrong the AK240 with the Roxanne was really good, but adding the HUGO has moved it a few steps up.

I did try the AK240 with balanced, but to me it didn't really make that much of a difference and no way did it sound as good as it does now.

beerchug.gif

So when you use the AK240 with Hugo, does the AK240 merely act as a file transport?

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11,455 of 37,652
Apr 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #11,456 of 37,652

so the question becomes:  does AK100>HUGO  sound  as good as AK240>HUGO ?  in theorie it should... but ?

DX50 as source didn't sound as good as ak240 as source. I'll be getting my AK100 next week so will test it out and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back