Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #8,611 of 37,644
Onkyo ES-HF300-->Headstage Arrow 4G-->Sony NWZ-A828. Very light, very portable and very good balance of overall sound with the Arrow

providing a bit of customisation with its myriad settings.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #8,612 of 37,644

Have you thought about trying the new alcantaras on those 840s?  vvv
wink_face.gif

Absolutely! And I probably will upgrade to them soon.... only because these pads are starting to wear down a bit. I like the look of the new pads :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #8,618 of 37,644
Nice, what cable is that, custom? The amp is awesome. Love using it hooked up to the pc or laptop to power the phones vs the internal audio out. Only gripe I have with it combined with the fiio x3 is that the line out on the x3 does not take bass and treble settings into effect. On some tracks I like the bass to be extra heavy like the bass head I am. Otherwise still a great combo until the zx1 arrives.

Did not try any EQ settings on the LO of the X3.

Yeah it is DIY cable, I made some time ago, with almost solid copper wire. -》It is really hard to bend.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #8,619 of 37,644
Now which pads are those that you've got on there? They almost look like LCD-2/3 pads. Unless I'm just stupid and those ARE the stock pads (lol)

And how do you like the 1540's?

Those are the Alpha pads that I slapped on for better isolation. I'm loving the 1540 and it actually reminds me of the 840 with more bass and better technicalities.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #8,621 of 37,644
Did not try any EQ settings on the LO of the X3.

EQ Settings on the X3 do not work with LO, only headphone out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the EQ settings work with line-out, doesn't that indicate that it's not a "true" line-out? Wouldn't there have to be some internal functions controlling the signal?

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8,622 of 37,644

EQ Settings on the X3 do not work with LO, only headphone out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the EQ settings work with line-out, doesn't that indicate that it's not a "true" line-out? Wouldn't there have to be some internal functions controlling the signal?

I figured that is probably why, to keep the signal true to the source. However, some portable amps have bass switches to increase the strength, while others do not.
For ex. the fiio e12 has a bass boost switch where Sony doesn't have that. One down side of the x3 which is not technically it's fault I guess.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #8,624 of 37,644
  Onkyo ES-HF300-->Headstage Arrow 4G-->Sony NWZ-A828.
Very light, very portable and very good balance of overall sound with the Arrow

providing a bit of customisation with its myriad settings.

How are those Onkyo?? I saw those but not shure about them, do you mind sharing?

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #8,625 of 37,644
Pretty good job by Onkyo. Tyll seems to love them too and most importantly they compete with $300 cans but can be found for $130.

Sound wise they are on the slightly warmer side with a nice clean sound and they equalize well too. Bass is punchy, mids a tiny bit recessed and shimmering treble. Overall they can compete with the Sennheiser Momentum, Beyer 1350 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back