Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4,696 of 7,509

Quote:

Have you used any high-end LODs? I wouldn't call them 'snake-oil cables' just because they're expensive.

Yes I have owned LODs from a certain three letter named company and sold them on.
They didn't deliver anything to me that made their price worth while.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4,699 of 7,509

Quote:
Ok, this is a very humble rig, but i decided to share it anyway.

Next month i'm getting a Fiio E6 and a decent pair of IEMs.

Get the IEM's first. They'll make more of a difference. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4,700 of 7,509

Quote:

Have you used any high-end LODs? I wouldn't call them 'snake-oil cables' just because they're expensive.

Yes I have owned LODs from a certain three letter named company and sold them on.

How much did they go for 2nd hand? I got a ALO LOD for my FiiO E17 that costs more than the E17 - sounds crazy a wire more expensive than a dac-amp, but since I alreaddy had it - why not. Sometimes I just don't fell like dragging my bigger portable system with me, but I am sure I wouldnt buy it just for the E17 lol

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4,701 of 7,509

Quote:

Quote:

+1 on that.   it becomes extra absurd when you have made your own cables, and actually made really nice ones at that, and realized that you can do it for about $20 or less, even for a very large cable.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #4,702 of 7,509

+1 on that.   it becomes extra absurd when you have made your own cables, and actually made really nice ones at that, and realized that you can do it for about $20 or less, even for a very large cable.

anyone care to make and sell me one?  :)   don't think i've noticed any LOD cables except maybe really expensive ones on the for sale forums

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4,703 of 7,509

Quote:

anyone care to make and sell me one?  :)   don't think i've noticed any LOD cables except maybe really expensive ones on the for sale forums

Just get  Fiio L9 cable - small form factor, well made, cheap.  It's what I use on my iPod/Arrow set-up.  FTR I also have a cryo'd copper LOD with carbon plugs etc.  Looks pretty ...... sounds the same as the Fiio to my ears
wink.gif

Fiio was cheaper and is a better form factor ......

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4,704 of 7,509

Quote:
I own 2 LODs and an interconnect of theirs as well. Never really felt the need to have more in my portable endeavors. 

I do wish they'd offer more colors, but they're well built and priced really well. 

I wish Fiio offered a low profile 30 Pin iPod dock to male right angle USB connector ... in different colours.
Then I'd probably by a bunch of them and spend as much as on one cryo-dipped, civet pooped yuppie cable. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4,705 of 7,509

Quote:

You'll probably find it very difficult to get hold of a person willing to make a new interconnect for you at cost price. Not many people even sell DIY cables unless they raise the price up extremely high.
That said, you can always find a few people that sell their "as new" cables below the actual price, which are worth considering if you can afford them.

If you're on a tight budget, I would go with a factory made one such as from FiiO.
I make cables myself (to help fund my education); trust me when I say the usually extreme premium you pay is for the service.
I personally find negligible change in sound, if any, so it's all about the aesthetics, durability and flexibility of the cable for me. This is also the reason why I never advertise about the sound properties of my own cables.

Hope that helps 
beerchug.gif

Ah yes and Brooko, I see you have make the change to a right-angled plug. Doesn't look as good, but offers better durability in the long run! 
regular_smile .gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,707 of 7,509
I paid $65 delivered for a low profile LOD right angle cable & considering it was made to fit with my set up, built by hand plus used quality materials I thought it was well worth it. Sounded better too, by a noticeable margin. The Fiio's are cheap and cheerful, but when you're chucking $300+ on headphones, its well worth the customisability. IMO!

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4,709 of 7,509

Quote:

You'll probably find it very difficult to get hold of a person willing to make a new interconnect for you at cost price. Not many people even sell DIY cables unless they raise the price up extremely high.
That said, you can always find a few people that sell their "as new" cables below the actual price, which are worth considering if you can afford them.

If you're on a tight budget, I would go with a factory made one such as from FiiO.
I make cables myself (to help fund my education); trust me when I say the usually extreme premium you pay is for the service.
I personally find negligible change in sound, if any, so it's all about the aesthetics, durability and flexibility of the cable for me. This is also the reason why I never advertise about the sound properties of my own cables.
Hope that helps 
beerchug.gif

Ah yes and Brooko, I see you have make the change to a right-angled plug. Doesn't look as good, but offers better durability in the long run! 
regular_smile%20.gif

Hi Ed - still love the aesthetics of yours (and it was an extremely reasonable price) - but for the new low profile rig ....... not really practical.  Was thinking of trying my hand at making one myself (low profile) - especially after successfully recabling the Grados.  If I don't get around to it, I'll probably be giving you a call again
wink.gif

For anyone looking at the aesthetics etc - I can thoroughly recommend Audiosonus.  Ed does nice work.

One thing that is nice about a custom plug/dock is the flexibility of the wiring.  You can see from my photos above that the Fiio is extremely well built and should be very durable.  But ultimately it doesn't have the flexibility in the wiring that Ed's had.  His dock's also had the locking mechanisms.

If you can get someone to make a custom LOD - or make one yourself - there are benefits (custom fit etc) - the cost has to justify the benefits though.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4,710 of 7,509

Quote:
I paid $65 delivered for a low profile LOD right angle cable & considering it was made to fit with my set up, built by hand plus used quality materials I thought it was well worth it. Sounded better too, by a noticeable margin. The Fiio's are cheap and cheerful, but when you're chucking $300+ on headphones, its well worth the customisability. IMO!

dont worry... i went through all sorts of cables.  bought to contract someone to build a custom fuze lod, with blackgate caps, hybrid copper and silver wires terminated with a rhodium replica plug.  but he's making it to my specifications which is awesome.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back