Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Mar 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #4,143 of 7,509
I have the iBasso D-Zero.  The audio from the headphone out on my iPod 5.5G sounded darker and more mellow than with a LOD to the D-Zero.  I did like the improvement there.  With the Classic, it's less apparent.  I think the headphone out on the Classic is pretty clean.  What I do find is that I get more ENERGY out of my music without being as loud as I would normally have to on the Classic.  With certain music, the Classic has to strain to drive my headphones at a loud level (or how I like to listen to them).  When I drive it like that, the sound tends to get muddy.  With the D-Zero, I get deeper and thicker bass (the rest seems fairly unchanged), and I can listen to it as lower levels to achieve a similar result.  I hope that helps... I'm still looking at different amp, as I'm probably picking up a Heir 4.a soon, or even going for the gusto and going for a top shelf one, and I want a really nice amp to go with those.  Though, I'm trying not to, as if I like the improvement the 4.A gives, I can convince myself that I have 80% or so what the top shelf ones have for about 50% the cost.  Then again, if I don't hear the top shelf ones, I should be happy with my purchase anyway.

Quote:
WaytooCrazy what amp are you using with the TF10's and Classic? Did you notice an improvement in SQ?

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4,144 of 7,509

Quote:
I have the iBasso D-Zero.  The audio from the headphone out on my iPod 5.5G sounded darker and more mellow than with a LOD to the D-Zero.  I did like the improvement there.  With the Classic, it's less apparent.  I think the headphone out on the Classic is pretty clean.  What I do find is that I get more ENERGY out of my music without being as loud as I would normally have to on the Classic.  With certain music, the Classic has to strain to drive my headphones at a loud level (or how I like to listen to them).  When I drive it like that, the sound tends to get muddy.  With the D-Zero, I get deeper and thicker bass (the rest seems fairly unchanged), and I can listen to it as lower levels to achieve a similar result.  I hope that helps... I'm still looking at different amp, as I'm probably picking up a Heir 4.a soon, or even going for the gusto and going for a top shelf one, and I want a really nice amp to go with those.  Though, I'm trying not to, as if I like the improvement the 4.A gives, I can convince myself that I have 80% or so what the top shelf ones have for about 50% the cost.  Then again, if I don't hear the top shelf ones, I should be happy with my purchase anyway.

Thanks for the info! 
I'm considering a portable amp to go with tf10's but im not sure if the cost and extra bulk is really worth it. We'll see...

My theory with customs would be just to go straight to the top and be done with it because I know I'd end up getting upgraditis if I just went with a lower end model but that's just me. Anyway i've got a way to go before I venture into that market, some day! 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #4,147 of 7,509
Nice rig, id suggest the 3m route instead of bands just to clean it up (i use wall poster ones, it's impossible to seperate) but looks good, i like your photography!

Quote:
Posted this in the desktop rig but might as well put it in here since its also my portable. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #4,148 of 7,509

Hifiman HM-601
Graham Slee Voyager
Kimber Cable
ES55s

sounds good to me

with Audioengine d1 and Vaio vgn-fw51mf

Mar 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4,149 of 7,509
But he has the cleanest and sexiest rubberband stack I've ever seen! Haha 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Nice rig, id suggest the 3m route instead of bands just to clean it up (i use wall poster ones, it's impossible to seperate) but looks good, i like your photography!

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #4,151 of 7,509
What I have been listening to this past week at work:

Waiting for my Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon W4r cable so that I can listen to these balanced with my RSA SR-71B.

These are already great sounding out of the iPod Touch and Fostex HP-P1 shown here.

And of course waiting for the iBasso DX100 to come....

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4,154 of 7,509
Quick question to all... I've watched enough videos to really desire the new Walkman Z series 32GB player.  I've since boxed up my iPod Classic and put my 5.5G back in my rig... and the Classic sounded better, less lifeless.  I grabbed the wife's 8GB iPod Touch 8GB, and it sounds much like the Classic (better to me than my 5.5G).  My concern, is that I have to order the Walkman (as no local stores carry it).  I'm contemplating going to a 64GB Touch 4G.  I'm not concerned about adding an HP-P1 or a CLAS... as I don't want the rig to grow much larger than the Touch (or Walkman) and maybe the D-Zero or future slim type of amp.  What are your thoughts? The headphones will be my current Sennheiser PX200-II, TripleFi10 and future CIEM (most likely an Heir 4.A).

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #4,155 of 7,509

Took a pic of some of my headphones........ It's blurry because it was taken by my phone, and couldn't use my camera because it was dead 
biggrin.gif

Left: Koss UR20

Center: Audio Technica ATH-M50

Right: Ultrasone HFI-2400

Between Koss and Audio Techncia: Fiio E6 with Fiio L9 LOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back