Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3,466 of 7,509

Quote:
Rockboxed ipod video 5th diymod with 256gb ssd

Dang, that's huge !
eek.gif
I could fit my entire collection of AIFF on that.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3,468 of 7,509
My current travel rig:

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,470 of 7,509

Quote:
How are the Sony's with the E7?

Realistically, they don't need them. I find that it gives more 'depth' to the music, but that may just be a placebo effect, it's hard to tell. The Sony's are quite forgiving of the source so I don't think it's making too much difference. The main reason I carry it round is because having the bass boost makes the Sony's so much more versatile. They tend to be great for jazz and vocals but listening to R&B or Electronic doesn't sound brilliant, setting the E7s bass boost to 1 or 2 drastically changes that. So far, I'm enjoying the setup, I do crave a pair of Ultrasone's for when I want bass. For now though, this combo is fine.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,472 of 7,509
I think it's not necessary, but as I said, bass boost makes my Sony's more versatile. Also I'm sure that there are some cans which the iPhone won't be able to drive alone. But no, realistically it does not need it.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,473 of 7,509

Quote:
I would love to believe that! To me, they're brilliant, but I can understand why many wouldn't like them. They do lack bass 'presence' as some like to call it. Personally I'm not a fan of trying to describe sound with words, it never seems to work. When I bought them I was looking for something that would play my jazz as well as my HD598s do at home, these are as close as I can find. Personally I find them very comfortable too but some people have had issues with them heating up and clamping too hard. I stretched mine out a bit and it's cold here at the moment so I don't notice either. If you can get them for the price I did £60 (about $85?) then they're a steal but they're also well worth the RRP. For what they do, I don't think there's a rival out there. 

£60 is very cheap!! I payed the msrp €99 though. I'd say the bass is tight and controlled, but not basshead certified. comfy for max 2-3 hours 'cause of the fairly strong clamp and earpads heating. but great sq for the price!  the upcoming philips citiscape line can be a direct rival!

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,474 of 7,509
Here's a pic of my modest first rig. Iphone 4s 64gb ->Headstage Arrow 2.2g ->Phonek Audeo PFE 232

It sounds very nice, but the Arrow isn't shielded from rf signals so I pick up static if I don't put it into airplane mode. Kind of annoying, I might get rid of it and try the pico slim. I also would like to upgrade to a nicer low profile LOD.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #3,475 of 7,509
I hear absolutely no noise with my 5G > Arrow 2.1g > JH13.
I just use a low profile LOD bought on ebay.
Didn't really like the line out quality from the iPhone4 so I recommend a stand alone player..

Quote:
Here's a pic of my modest first rig. Iphone 4s 64gb ->Headstage Arrow 2.2g ->Phonek Audeo PFE 232

It sounds very nice, but the Arrow isn't shielded from rf signals so I pick up static if I don't put it into airplane mode. Kind of annoying, I might get rid of it and try the pico slim. I also would like to upgrade to a nicer low profile LOD.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3,477 of 7,509
About the classic, I only have experience with the 5G.
It's cheap, replacement parts are cheap, a lot of fun modding it (CF, rockbox, DIYmod) and so far it's the last iPods with the Wolfson DAC.  The line out quality is great, clear than my iPhone 4 even before the DIYmod (don't know about the 4S but differences shouldn't be too big).  Slight touch of warmth after the mod if Blackgate caps are used.

but anyway, seems like the main issue you have is the Arrow catching rf signal of the iPhone, so any iPod will be good in this case, and if you want lots of storage the current classic would be just right.  Also, I don't know if portable amps have differences in shielding against phone signals, but if the Pico Slim does better in this area I'd be interested to know results...

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,478 of 7,509

Quote:
About the classic, I only have experience with the 5G.
It's cheap, replacement parts are cheap, a lot of fun modding it (CF, rockbox, DIYmod) and so far it's the last iPods with the Wolfson DAC.  The line out quality is great, clear than my iPhone 4 even before the DIYmod (don't know about the 4S but differences shouldn't be too big).  Slight touch of warmth after the mod if Blackgate caps are used.

but anyway, seems like the main issue you have is the Arrow catching rf signal of the iPhone, so any iPod will be good in this case, and if you want lots of storage the current classic would be just right.  Also, I don't know if portable amps have differences in shielding against phone signals, but if the Pico Slim does better in this area I'd be interested to know results...

Well from what ive read the pico slim is shielded from rf so it isn't an issue. So I could either get the slim and keep using my 4s or get a classic or touch and use my arrow. The classic would obviously be the cheapest option but I'm not to find of the ui and the fact it uses a hard drive. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3,479 of 7,509

Quote:

Well from what ive read the pico slim is shielded from rf so it isn't an issue. So I could either get the slim and keep using my 4s or get a classic or touch and use my arrow. The classic would obviously be the cheapest option but I'm not to find of the ui and the fact it uses a hard drive. 

You could also find an iPod Video on eBay for under $100, buy a replacement hard drive (got a 120gb Samsung drive for around $60), a new battery ($20), and a putty knife (check your hardware store). Pop it open, install, rockbox, load music (took me 36 hours to copy my 110 gig library, lol), pair with an amp, and enjoy!

edit: it will also support an SSD (check the SSD mod thread for a list of compatible drives), but they're pretty expensive especially as you move up in capacity.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3,480 of 7,509
Ok, go easy on me guys..First post in here :)

I was going to wait to post in here, until my new gear comes, but Im bored.  So here I go.  This is my current rig.  Im pretty damn new to this whole thing, so it isnt much.  It gets the job done for now though.

HTC Trophy (zune music player) 16gb
FiiO e5
V-Moda Crossfade LP

For what its worth, I love these headphones for what I listen to.  For the price, I am very satisfied.  

[Using my old phone - Droid X - for pictures]

My rig will be completely different this week sometime though.  In the mail I have:

16gb Ipod Nano 6g
FiiO L9 LOD
Digizoid ZO2
MEE M6 

Should be a sexy little portable, I really cannot wait.  So glad I found this forum, I fear for my tax return though :/  Going to be hard to spend that wisely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back