Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,286 of 7,509

Quote:

Take one heavily scratched iPod, some hard work, and voilà ! the brushed aluminium look
biggrin.gif

wa~!so beautiful.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3,289 of 7,509

Quote:
Interesting setup chain: clip-->ZO-->O2-->Thunderpants.  I bet it makes it damn hard to get off the sofa.

I'm guessing there's no shortage of bass response there!
basshead.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #3,291 of 7,509

Quote:
hey i recognize those :wink: 
wow are you really using a zo with thunderpants?!?!? are you trying to blow your eyes out of your head? :wink:

Oh I don't max the ZO out (at least not all the time).
I don't think the TPs have a very accentuated bass in the first plase, they just don't taper off below 100Hz as most headphones seem to do.
That combined with the ZOs bass boost starting very low means the the bass isn't of the nauseating headshaking sort, it merely gives a proper fundament to the rest of the music, without imposing in any annoying way.
Well, in my experience at least. :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,293 of 7,509

Quote:

Minor update - for when I'm not wearing a fedora and using the Audio-Technica EW9, I finally got new pads (I prefer the velour) and a new headband for the HD25's so I can use them again. Actually, at this point, I think only the drivers are original. :D

iPod Classic 80gb > RSA Mustang P-51 > HD25-1 ii

Thought your bands were great for the money. Found them on Amazon but the following message was displayed - sorry currently unavailable. We don't know when these will be back in stock. Typical!! just my luck. Also couldnt find them on the Nuforce web site...
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #3,294 of 7,509

Quote:
Nice! How long will it look fresh like this?

The fine grooves made by the Scotch Brite do not change with use. However, the properties of the metal remain the same so it's still a finger print magnet.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd put a clear screen protector on it now while it looks so pretty.
L3000.gif

The great thing about this fix is that new scratches don't appear very often, but when they do I just get the Scotch Brite pad out and brush them all away.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #3,295 of 7,509
@ limpidglitch: are they stained birdseye maple? beautiful figuring

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #3,297 of 7,509
haha ive got a slab beside me that i never got around to getting denon cups made from due to a bit of an iffy knot we thought might explode on the lathe, but its a totally different cut so looks so different

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3,299 of 7,509
Quote:
As AnakChan has said above, this technique has been around for many years. I suspect that someone somewhere had a scratched iPod and tried to remove the scratches with whatever came to hand, they noticed it looked like brushed aluminium and posted the results online. There are numerous tutorials but I will summarize the basics of how I do it:

1) Carefully mask the face plate of your iPod using a thick paper template and masking tape, be very careful to cover the sides of the faceplate.

2) Create a workspace with a non slip mat and an alignment block, this will prevent the iPod from moving and keep the groove cut straight.

3) Take a new Scotch Brite Pad and gently move it back and forth across the iPod, taking care to keep it located in alignment with your block.

Note: It's a good idea to block the ports by plugging in an old jack and dock connector.

So its the Scotch Brite Pad that does all the magic?

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,300 of 7,509
This is my first foray into HIFI so no portable amps or dacs here:

UERM poses with apple family members:

Close-ups of my UERM

Size difference between UERM and Shure SE425

That's all for now...

All the pictures are taken from a Nokia N8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back