iPhone 3gs => Fiio L9 => Xm6 => Ultrasone Edition 8

Just got my Xm6 and I love it...

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #695 of 7,509

Quote:
iPhone 3gs => Fiio L9 => Xm6 => Ultrasone Edition 8

Just got my Xm6 and I love it...

Is there a noticeable difference when anping the ED8's

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #696 of 7,509

I didn't think there would be and before I got the concerto I would have said no benefit at all.  The concerto ed8 combo really surprised me.  The bass got some significant extension, depth, detail and the concerto seemed to smooth out poor sources, and got rid of a subtle hiss.  The difference with the Xm6 is a bit more subtle.  The wolfson 8740 dac improved the hiss and clarity over my desktop set up, but didn't improve the bass extension, detail, and depth nearly as much.

Its not the huge difference I noticed with my hd 595 or beyer mmx300, but when you squeeze a little bit more out of the best closed portable headphone (my opinion) it goes a long way.  Also, at 1500 a pair you might as well feed it what it deserves.

Also, I got the Xm6 moreso for my macbook, since the soundcard on that sucks...

Quote:
Is there a noticeable difference when anping the ED8's

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #697 of 7,509
I really want an XM6. Just looks better and better every time I see it.

Quote:

I didn't think there would be and before I got the concerto I would have said no benefit at all.  The concerto ed8 combo really surprised me.  The bass got some significant extension, depth, detail and the concerto seemed to smooth out poor sources, and got rid of a subtle hiss.  The difference with the Xm6 is a bit more subtle.  The wolfson 8740 dac improved the hiss and clarity over my desktop set up, but didn't improve the bass extension, detail, and depth nearly as much.

Its not the huge difference I noticed with my hd 595 or beyer mmx300, but when you squeeze a little bit more out of the best closed portable headphone (my opinion) it goes a long way.  Also, at 1500 a pair you might as well feed it what it deserves.

Also, I got the Xm6 moreso for my macbook, since the soundcard on that sucks...

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #698 of 7,509

Quote:

+1 internet to the person who recognize the album cover

Marillion, Marbles.   Speaking of prog which do you prefer the beyers or the senns for that sort of stuff?  Pm me if you don't want to take this thread too far off course.  Just sent in a couple of iems to be reshelled but could do with a good can with decent isolation for times when they aren't suitable.

Cheers.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #699 of 7,509

Apple iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64GB, EQu, Grado SR325i's. Sorry Apple haters, but this sounded better than my Cowon D2+ which I returned!

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #701 of 7,509

Quote:
Marillion, Marbles.   Speaking of prog which do you prefer the beyers or the senns for that sort of stuff?  Pm me if you don't want to take this thread too far off course.  Just sent in a couple of iems to be reshelled but could do with a good can with decent isolation for times when they aren't suitable.

Cheers.

you got it right. amazing album.

and I dont think the beyer is an upgrade to the HD25, maybe only in look. If I had to keep one, It'll be the HD25. very different cans tho, beyer is more clinical, and analitical hence boring, specially for a portable. HD25 has more punch and body int he sound, which I like in my prog, specially for metal.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #702 of 7,509

Quote:

you got it right. amazing album.

and I dont think the beyer is an upgrade to the HD25, maybe only in look. If I had to keep one, It'll be the HD25. very different cans tho, beyer is more clinical, and analitical hence boring, specially for a portable. HD25 has more punch and body int he sound, which I like in my prog, specially for metal.

I thought the HD25's were more for treble heads???

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #703 of 7,509
I thought the HD25's were more for treble heads???

No way. I was really surprised when I was listening to Jude's DT1350 and switched to his HD 25-1 II. The body, punch, and bass was kicked up a major level. I had to get a pair after that, actually.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #705 of 7,509

Quote:
Are the Grado cups out of metal or plastic?

Metal. They have a real beefy feel to them, even if they do look like a 1940's ham radio headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back