Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Dec 3, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #2,568 of 7,509

SonicMaxPro BBE

It's not like BBE on a Cowon. There are 7 presets, and the various knobs offer the following (taken from the app guide):

Lo Contour - Restores detail and warmth to low frequencies
BBE Process - Restores clarity and definition to high frequencies
iSet - Adjusts center frequencies to find mid-range 'sweet spot'.
Sound Field - Expands the sonic depth and presence of your audio.
Mach3 Bass - Bumps low frequencies for more thump.
Mach3 Gain- Bumps the low gain for more punch.

The visual switch at the bottom just toggles between flat and the BBE settings.

I like it - previously I'd just been listening to the Touch on flat or sometimes its Rock setting; I've tried a bundle of music players with EQ options for ios and disliked them all, (at least none were better than the native music app imo). With this app the actual interface is quite nice and it's easy to import playlists, albums etc.

It sounds really good, at least to me. Worth the £2.99 I paid, definitely.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2,572 of 7,509

Quote:

SonicMaxPro BBE

It's not like BBE on a Cowon. There are 7 presets, and the various knobs offer the following (taken from the app guide):

Lo Contour - Restores detail and warmth to low frequencies
BBE Process - Restores clarity and definition to high frequencies
iSet - Adjusts center frequencies to find mid-range 'sweet spot'.
Sound Field - Expands the sonic depth and presence of your audio.
Mach3 Bass - Bumps low frequencies for more thump.
Mach3 Gain- Bumps the low gain for more punch.

The visual switch at the bottom just toggles between flat and the BBE settings.

I like it - previously I'd just been listening to the Touch on flat or sometimes its Rock setting; I've tried a bundle of music players with EQ options for ios and disliked them all, (at least none were better than the native music app imo). With this app the actual interface is quite nice and it's easy to import playlists, albums etc.

It sounds really good, at least to me. Worth the £2.99 I paid, definitely.

Thanks for posting this.  I haven't heard of it before.  $4.99 in the USA.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2,573 of 7,509
The only setting I really don't like the sound of is the 'Sound Field' one.. it's just like the 3D stereo widening on Cowons.

The rest are really good (used judicially).

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #2,574 of 7,509
Bought as soon as I heard BBE for my iPhone. $5 seems a bit steep but if it's good it'll be totally worth it. I'll post some impressions in a few.

EDIT: Totally worth $5. 

Notice (as said before) Sound Field is off. That was the only one I didn't like too much. All of these settings are for the DJ100 straight out of my iPhone 4. 

First off, don't worry about the presets at the top. That's all they are. You can start your own flat preset or just adjust one of theirs.

Lo Contour - This is a pretty fine bass adjust that does just what it said...Add warmth. 
BBE Process - The best knob on there. It really makes everything sound more detailed and organic but can easily make it too bright. 
iSet - This is a 'mids' adjust (that's what the app said anyway) and it's a weird knob for me. I found that right there is where it sounded best without 'bloating' (seems like the right word) the sound. 
Mach3 Bass - I didn't use this setting much on my Cowon either. It's the finer bass adjust.
Mach3 Gain - This is the big boom maker. It can easily bloat your bass, but you'll notice huge bass 'kick' increases with this one when set properly. It's a little high at that screen shot, but it sure works. 

As you can probably tell this is much like the other apps like EQu and what not where you have an entire music interface through that app itself. It functions very much like the others but seems like an overall smoother experience than my time with EQu. For one...I haven't had sound issue while multi-tasking here. 

tl;dr - Spend $5. It's worth it.

My one complaint is that you can't select and artist or album before switching to it. If you pick artist of album it will immediately start playing the first song within that listing. A little nit pick.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,575 of 7,509
Thanks guys, and what LOD do you use, something from Alo Audio?

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,576 of 7,509
To be honest a lot of people use the L9. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Thanks guys, and what LOD do you use, something from Alo Audio?

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2,577 of 7,509

Users who are viewing this thread

Back