Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Nov 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,221 of 7,509

Quote:

Depends on the mood :D Is it bad that I like my TF10s better than my M50s 0_o?

I can see that you have a upgrade cable on the TF10's.  I was amazed at how good the TF10's sounded with a silver cable.  With the stock cable I was always chasing more upper mid and top end detail and airiness but the silver cable fixes that up considerably.  I liked them so much that when it was time to move on that I did a silly barter with a friend just so that I wouldnt have to sell them and a friend who wouldnt pay what they were worth normally would get to enjoy them.  It was a win/win.  For the price that Amazon occasionally sells them for they are a steal.  IMO.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,222 of 7,509

Quote:
I like my TF10 too many times better then the M50, I dont even use the M50 anymore.

Me too
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2,223 of 7,509

Quote:
Are you serious, at least consider the Cowon J3,
If you want the space then OK , other then that J3 with all it's Sq and wonderful amloed screen and 50+ battery , if you want the best sound without the SQ or album coversetc..... just pure fantastic sound quality then look for the teclast T51 in the forums, just my 2 cents.

Well, Cowon J3 sure looks nice, but i need mainly MP3 player with a lot of space, and the only question, is iPod classic 160GB good for its price? And I am loking at used ones so they are about 120-140€ for 160GB. And how is the iPod's sound quality compared to clip + or samsung wave? Oh, and I listen to music mainly at the bus, so I dont need extra sound quality for now :D Is there anything I should be aware of when buying used iPod classic?

Sorry for bad English and tnx for help.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2,224 of 7,509

Quote:
Well, Cowon J3 sure looks nice, but i need mainly MP3 player with a lot of space, and the only question, is iPod classic 160GB good for its price? And I am loking at used ones so they are about 120-140€ for 160GB. And how is the iPod's sound quality compared to clip + or samsung wave? Oh, and I listen to music mainly at the bus, so I dont need extra sound quality for now :D Is there anything I should be aware of when buying used iPod classic?

Well, from my personal experience , I got some time ago a used Ipod classic , which after  2/3 weeks the disk failed, so I gave it away, and to be honest I don't miss it a bit, but if you get one make sure you can return it if something comes up, just to be on the safe side, and later if you want to upgrade you can get the HP-p1 , which will make a hit-ass-ass (
deadhorse.gif
) rig.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2,225 of 7,509
Having owned iPods and a J3 Cowon, if you are a mac user then go the iPod. If you are a windows user then you can choose either. But I do think that iPods have the best directory and user interface by a country mile. They are so smooth and easy to use compared to anything else. 

And when you add a CLAS or fostex HP-P1 then they no longer lose out on sound quality to the Cowon. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #2,226 of 7,509

Quote:
Having owned iPods and a J3 Cowon, if you are a mac user then go the iPod. If you are a windows user then you can choose either. But I do think that iPods have the best directory and user interface by a country mile. They are so smooth and easy to use compared to anything else. 

And when you add a CLAS or fostex HP-P1 then they no longer lose out on sound quality to the Cowon. 

Very nicely said.....

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2,228 of 7,509

Quote:

Just a question here.
Is it worth it?
Do you get strange looks on the bus?

yes very worthy for me, i do have Q&A at train stations and mall entrance security 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Gotcha.  Pretty realistic looking stickers.

yeah the texture is nice, it's very cheap in here so it's used on pc casing, gadgets, car hoods and just about anything.

my other portable rigs:

imod video (black gate NX) + custom kimber 8tc LOD + custom tf10 via balanced out

imod photo (black gate NX) + kimber IC + ibasso dzero

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2,229 of 7,509

Quote:

Well, from my personal experience , I got some time ago a used Ipod classic , which after  2/3 weeks the disk failed, so I gave it away, and to be honest I don't miss it a bit, but if you get one make sure you can return it if something comes up, just to be on the safe side, and later if you want to upgrade you can get the HP-p1 , which will make a hit-ass-ass (
deadhorse.gif
) rig.

I am windows user, but I would really need more space then my 16GB microSD card that i have in Samsung Wave. So iPod classic + HP-p1 is the right thing? I asume that i would need to change my headphones from AKG K330 to something other too?
EDIT: Saw the price tag of the HP-p1 :D Well, I will have to finish school first to maybe be able to give so much money for a DAC. So iPod Classic 160GB + AKG K330, would this be the right thing for my portable?

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #2,230 of 7,509

Quote:
I'm seriously considering the Cowon J3 and I use a Mac. I thought music files simply drag and drop? Are there any reasons you would NOT recommend the Cowon J3 for Mac users in terms of file transfer / usability? 

My personal view is that the j3 sounds significantly better than any iPod by itself when playing Flac. The problem is that the cowons will not play Alac or Aiff so a normal iTunes music collection on a mac can not be played or sync'd on the Cowon. I tried to keep a separate library of Flac but it was just too time consuming. 

The eq settings on the Cowon are far better than just a graphic eq. 

If only iTunes would step up to 24 bit. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #2,231 of 7,509

Quote:

If only iTunes would step up to 24 bit. 

Yup if only there was a DAP that could play 24/192 FLAC & have a 240gig SSD with a decent line out so you can hook up a separate DAC and separate AMP (preferably  balanced)

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #2,232 of 7,509
Apparently the CLAS and an ipod could deal with 24/96 if Apple unlocked it.  We can only dream of the day....

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2,235 of 7,509

Quote:
I can see that you have a upgrade cable on the TF10's.  I was amazed at how good the TF10's sounded with a silver cable.  With the stock cable I was always chasing more upper mid and top end detail and airiness but the silver cable fixes that up considerably.  I liked them so much that when it was time to move on that I did a silly barter with a friend just so that I wouldnt have to sell them and a friend who wouldnt pay what they were worth normally would get to enjoy them.  It was a win/win.  For the price that Amazon occasionally sells them for they are a steal.  IMO.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back