Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #1,306 of 1,377
Still not as crazy as this:

2396221310044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

dt880smile.png

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #1,308 of 1,377
Wow, sweet woodies! Nice Cable! Nice d2 setup, and nice sized amp!

The 16gb came out just after i did the trade of the 30gb ZVM for the 4gb black DAB d2 with 8gb SD. The when i bought another 2 8gb sd's, 16gb's were usable to me when cowon upped the file limit 2 days later! Then i broke the screen, got some spare parts and put white non-dab branded casing on it.

A white Minibox with that white cable, a 16gb white DAB d2 and 2 16gb SD's would keep me going for a long time, but currently one would surfice. -> Livewires =
biggrin.gif

Oneday i will have a picoIII and UE13's to use with my wi-fi enabled cowon d4 with 200gb flash + 100gb SD, and a better laptop and pc to use with the pico with UE's and headphone, or bedside/study laptop/pc and pico -> millet max MkIII and K701's/SA5k/AD2k or something
tongue.gif

Matt

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #1,309 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Sykow/ClipFiiO.jpg

Sam, if I could borrow a moment of your time; would you be able to give an impression of how the HD25-1 sounds straight out of the Clip?
smile.gif
I'm thinking of picking up a Clip for super-portable use.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #1,310 of 1,377
Well, staight out of the Clip it actually sounds pretty powerful.
Lows are, like expected from the HD25-1, Deep and punchy
Mids are well pronounced and good
Highs are great! Not sibilant or harsh. A bit laidback, but that is the soundsignature of the HD25-1
wink.gif

I didn't expect the Clip to drive the HD25-1 that well!
I'm a big fan of the sound signature of the HD25-1 and the Clip makes good use of that
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #1,311 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey RHW glad so see someone else using a Shek H1.

It's fun to see such a change to the usual cast of characters - and thanks for looking inside - BB OPA 2227 opamp would have been my guess on the op amp so nice to know that's what it is.

I find it's dac pretty decent and am still happily using mine and enjoying it (one of the few pieces of equipment I haven't rotated through.

Were I using it just for an amp though I might go with another contender - but for a cheap (say 2/5ths the price of the pico) amp/dac combo, I've been impressed in spades.

I like the h1, too. Maybe a bit more of refinement would be great.
I do not have much experience with head-fi stuff, but looking at what I have read on head-fi and elsewhere, swapping the opamp i.e. to double OPA627 would be interesting. Audiophile stuff in the vein of getting maximum from less fascinates me. Unfortunately the opamp is soldered and there is no place for a socket inside the h1.
I also like the Sheks NON-OS DAC (old black D1, but with reclocking) very much and use it in my "realworld" system (with a "bigger" power supply).
Using the Shek h1 together with my laptop increases the sound quality, too. Maybe a better DAC/Amp will not result in advanced sound quality when listening to web radio......
gs1000.gif

ouch - this is a dangerous forum ------- so much interesting and beautiful stuff around to play with (have read the Yamamoto HA-02 thread, the Travagans nice to play with oamps.......)

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #1,312 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the h1, too. Maybe a bit more of refinement would be great.
I do not have much experience with head-fi stuff, but looking at what I have read on head-fi and elsewhere, swapping the opamp i.e. to double OPA627 would be interesting. Audiophile stuff in the vein of getting maximum from less fascinates me. Unfortunately the opamp is soldered and there is no place for a socket inside the h1.
I also like the Sheks NON-OS DAC (old black D1, but with reclocking) very much and use it in my "realworld" system (with a "bigger" power supply).
Using the Shek h1 together with my laptop increases the sound quality, too. Maybe a better DAC/Amp will not result in advanced sound quality when listening to web radio......
gs1000.gif

ouch - this is a dangerous forum ------- so much interesting and beautiful stuff around to play with (have read the Yamamoto HA-02 thread, the Travagans nice to play with oamps.......)

I think an op amp swap with an adapter might be possible if you really know how to solder - but I'm not too sure how much more you'll really be able to squeeze out of it if streaming web radio is the source - really depends on the quality of the signal.

I have the D1 and love it - it's the newer white that does re-clocking - I also added a slightly better power supply from radio shack but have often thought of getting a really nice on made. For folks who haven't head NON OS dacs - these are very nice and worth a listen - a different experience than the other type of dac - even the dac used in shek's portable little H1.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #1,314 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think an op amp swap with an adapter might be possible if you really know how to solder - but I'm not too sure how much more you'll really be able to squeeze out of it if streaming web radio is the source - really depends on the quality of the signal.

I have the D1 and love it - it's the newer white that does re-clocking - I also added a slightly better power supply from radio shack but have often thought of getting a really nice on made. For folks who haven't head NON OS dacs - these are very nice and worth a listen - a different experience than the other type of dac - even the dac used in shek's portable little H1.

There is a surface mount op amp on the board - really small - I am not a friend of soldering such small parts. I mailed Derek Shek and he told me it will be possible but I had to be VERY CAREFULL.... He suggested to wait some time because the 2227 and the h1 itself (caps?) will sound better by burning in.

For testing the influence of opamps it might be more easy to look for an amp with dip socket like the Travagans or the Cute or Cute beyond - which are discussed in this forum.

A better headamp may be - will be - more pleasant for listening to lossless from the ipod .....
smily_headphones1.gif

It is a bit offtopic - talking with Derek Shek some time ago - I built a low noise powersupply for my NON OS DAC with the module by LC Audio Technology -> you might have a look here
(Now the power supply of the DAC is much bigger in size than the DAC itself.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #1,315 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much is the H1? I wonder if i would hear a difference over my Behringer U Control USB powered amp/dac? There is little hiss with the most sensetive phones and it sounds pretty good too...

Derek Shek/Sigtone is selling over ebay or directly.
Sigtone - Shek h1 All-in-1 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 230278079690 end time Aug-11-08 03:04:27 PDT)
Sigtone ->go products->h1
At the moment the h1 seems to cost 119$+shipping.
I have no hiss with my h1.
smily_headphones1.gif

//Using a Grado SR60 the sound becomes better - more clear, open, dynamic - but when listening with a RS1 the changes become MORE obvious.
I like acoustical instruments and voices to sound natural - and step by step it gets closer ......

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #1,316 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 16GB + 16GB ADATA SDHC
MiniBox-E+ Headphone Amp
4 Silver Wire Connector by "vanilla_chocchip"
Sleek SA6 with Custom Extended Bass Port Woodies.

mbeol4.jpg

what is in your sa6? also where did you get the theme for the d2?

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #1,317 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is in your sa6? also where did you get the theme for the d2?

That would be:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom Extended Bass Port Woodies

But please Tadad1, elaborate on those extenders.... How do they sound. Makes it the SA6 one of the first B.A.D. that do real sublows? How did you get them....

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #1,319 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, staight out of the Clip it actually sounds pretty powerful.
Lows are, like expected from the HD25-1, Deep and punchy
Mids are well pronounced and good
Highs are great! Not sibilant or harsh. A bit laidback, but that is the soundsignature of the HD25-1
wink.gif

I didn't expect the Clip to drive the HD25-1 that well!
I'm a big fan of the sound signature of the HD25-1 and the Clip makes good use of that
biggrin.gif

Thanks very much!
smile.gif
Thinking about it further I don't reckon I could live without gapless on the Clip. But looking at how much the it costs it deffo won't hurt to pick one up just to play around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back