Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #946 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/4360/px100stone02pz4.jpg

My new toys.
cool.gif

Creative zen Stone Plus 2GB w/ speaker (Champagne in silicon skin w/ clip) + PX100

Pic of the speaker, head-fi blasphemy
eek.gif

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/156...onebackxv0.jpg

More gadget then soundquality although if you add an amp those PX100s sound really nice! I have an old black pair that sounds a bit too bassy with not enough mids and highs but with these newer ones that's fixed (Sennheiser changed the drivers a few years ago I believe) and they sound really good!

Those go well together. I realize that, on head-fi, function is usually given preference over form, but you may have found a nice balance between both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #947 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that the Stone is actually a good sounding player. Am I right? Like even close to the Clip?

I'll do a comparison with my Zen Vision:M later on. I don't have the Clip.

I can't really say anything sensible about it just yet because so far have only listened to it with these px100s and I bought them just a week before. But with well encoded mp3s it does sound pretty nice for such a humble setup.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those go well together. I realize that, on head-fi, function is usually given preference over form, but you may have found a nice balance between both.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
Yeah, if soundquality isn't the number one priority this is a really nice compromise.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #948 of 1,377
Quote:

I heard that the Stone is actually a good sounding player. Am I right? Like even close to the Clip?

Lol far from it, sounds like crap. And with the dumb folder browsing mode (and i say folder as you can only browse folders, no files) it makes for an utterly useless player compared to the clip

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #949 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol far from it, sounds like crap. And with the dumb folder browsing mode (and i say folder as you can only browse folders, no files) it makes for an utterly useless player compared to the clip

I must say that folder browsing mode is amazing. I wish every player had the option to do that. I'm tired of media library programs being totally unable to deal with compilations and multi-disc albums without having to mess around with tags. I want to browse through my meticulously organised file trees.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #950 of 1,377
He means that you can only browse through folders, not individual tracks. This player was originally made without a display. There was a skip folder option in the buttons, I think that is the reason why you can only browse folders, they implemented the players features to the display. And yes, not being able to browse to an individual track is a bit of a pain. But this a very basic player and you get what you pay for.

Anyway, did I miss something? I saw a lot of Clips without display here? Maybe I'm confused, I haven't payed much attention to new portable players lately.
edit-
Yep, sorry, I'm mistaken, they have a display.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #952 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif

++ The worst sounding DAP that I have heard so far. Sansa clip stomps all over it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #954 of 1,377
Quote:

But this a very basic player and you get what you pay for.

The problem with small players like this (and i have tested more or less all of them) is that they cost about the same, same capacities, batteyr life, and features. Without anythign to seperate them, there really only need to be one that everyone buys. Thats the clip. Its FAR(!!) better than any of the other players, and so the only reason you'd have to every buy anythign else is if you need the stones speaker, the sansa expresses microSD slot or the iriver volcano/samsungU3/sansa express' built in USB port

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #955 of 1,377
well I have an Insignia Kix 1gb...it's meh. The UI lags, and when I go to a menu to adjust something like EQ, the song pauses, rendering the EQ useless. Luckly, I paid around 10$ for it. It's been sitting on my desk since I bought it on ebay...I might sell it on there or here. Any idea if it's worse than the stone?
edit: the sq is actually good. I'm using the Sony MDR-EX082's and it actually sonds solid now, which is surprising considering how mediocre the Pilot and NS-DV were SQ-wise.

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #956 of 1,377
I like my Mx500's but me wonders what they will soundlike with the d2 (broken, fixed soon!) and if the PK2's would stomp all over with a well amped player like the d2.

D2 pack ins were lightweight, but sounded okay. The MX500's sound better and more balanced but i want better

What do the PK2's sound like out of the d2 filipelli? And what do they sound like in general compared to the LW's? Balanced in bass and highs?

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #957 of 1,377
Quote:

He means that you can only browse through folders, not individual tracks. This player was originally made without a display. There was a skip folder option in the buttons, I think that is the reason why you can only browse folders, they implemented the players features to the display. And yes, not being able to browse to an individual track is a bit of a pain. But this a very basic player and you get what you pay for.

As long as I can choose a folder and play the stuff in it in order, I'm good. I never listen to music in not-whole-album form.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #958 of 1,377
Heres my current/first portable rig:

PICT0107-1.jpg

PICT0108-1.jpg

PICT0109-1.jpg

PICT0110-1.jpg

EDIT: Just realised how wack the quality of these ahots is! I'll susstitute better quality ones for em tomorrow when I can be arsed to.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #959 of 1,377
sony a828 with SA6 and some shure's(SE530?)....nice.
I have a 728 but I'm not too crazy about it. The one thing I need to know is whether or not the warranty is transferable, because I can probably get some good money for the player and put it towards other stuff.
The SQ doesn't impress me, and the lack of audio bookmarking(like my D2) and a better FF/RW(again, like my D2) hurts.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #960 of 1,377
Quote:

sony a828 with SA6 and some shure's(SE530?)....nice.
I have a 728 but I'm not too cray about it. The one thing I need to know is whether or not the warranty is transferable, because I can probably get some good money for the player and put it towards other stuff.
The SQ doesn't impress me, and the lack of audio bookmarking(like my D2) and a better FF/RW(again, like my D2) hurts.

Thanks! Its an 829 though and they are SE530's.
wink.gif

As re your problems/queries with your 728, firstly, have you tried pausing your music and then FF/RWing? Doing that achieves a much faster rate of FF/RW. Apologies if this not your quarrell with the FF/RW system on the sony.

Concerning the SQ and/or sound sig, hve you tried changing the DAC settings of the unit? I havn't yet, though its something I intend to get round to soon, but there has been a popular thread on it recently in this forum and a lot of ppl really feel you can open up the sound on this DAP considerably by doing this, a few claiming it can be made pretty similar to that of the D2! Heres a direct link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ul...ttings-340621/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back