Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Apr 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #61 of 1,377
Well, Since I just received my q-JAYS, heres my rig! Still waiting for the 2move!
Please excuse the nonexistent color matching..

DSC00051.jpg

Edit: Whoo! I just topped a page! And excuse my poor picture taking, it was taken from my cell phone
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #62 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks =). This rig is really nice, and thin! I am waiting on a low profile LOD from Punnisher to cap it all off...it will then be perfect in my eyes.

I just want to say, what I really like about this rig is that I don't need a strap. I used double sided tape to hold the super mini together with the nano...it's perfect.

Nice going with the pack of cards picture.
tongue.gif

I'm curious about the tape though. Does it allow for the two units to separate when you need that, or do you just keep them attached all the time?

I certainly don't like the thickness of the velcro in mine, but I need the ability to separate them considering the amount of time I use the nano unamped.

Also, what case is that?

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #63 of 1,377
^^^
http://images.ryman.co.uk/images/medium/0417200201.jpg

The tape is perfect. It is strong enough to hold the amp and nano together, but also allows me to take the two apart whenever I need to without any residue. In fact, when I take the combo apart, the tape remains sticky enough to put the two back together. I would say the tape is very strong, and gives the combo a solid, sturdy feeling. I highly recommend it.

Case is agent18 eco shield...
Amazon.com: Agent18 Eco Shield Case for iPod nano 3G (Black): Electronics

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #64 of 1,377
Quote:

The tape is perfect. It is strong enough to hold the amp and nano together, but also allows me to take the two apart whenever I need to without any residue. In fact, when I take the combo apart, the tape remains sticky enough to put the two back together. I would say the tape is very strong, and gives the combo a solid, sturdy feeling. I highly recommend it.

In that case I take it you keep the tape attached to the amp when using them seperately? The more I think about it, the more I like this more than velcro.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #65 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the pic doesn't quote too.
How well does this work for you? I'm considering that iPod... it would go to a powered amp in a head unit though, not a portable amp. Is it nearly audiophile quality, or would you recommend another player?

This rig works well for me. I have IEMs, but after a while, they get a little irritating in my ear canal, so I have to switch to the Denon cans to give my ear canals a rest.

The iPod touch gives very good audio quality through an amp. Directly out of the headphone out, the Denon AH-D1001 sound really anemic. My UE SF5EB sound less anemic as they're more sensitive .

All in all, I'm very happy with the audio quality from my Touch with or without the amp. I don't know if it's audiophile quality. Still prefer MacBook Pro --> (optical digital out) --> iBasso D1 --> any headphone. The Touch gives very satisfying audio quality with LOD --> amp, but is not the most cost effective way to do so. You get just as good audio quality with a nano or classic in its place, or one of the many FOTM MP3 players.

Consider the Touch only if you need the other features:
(1) WiFi - the browser works better than any other portable device out there
(2) Address book/calendar/Photo album
(3) Relative big screen - great for viewing podcasts, movies, etc

The Touch's control system would be hard to control without looking at it. Quite a misnomer because it's hard to control the Touch by touch - you have to control it by looking at it. Whereas other MP3 players that don't rely on a touch screen are easy to control 'blind' - probably a better choice if you are using it in a car.

SQ-wise, I prefer my 'ancient' iRiver IHP-120

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #72 of 1,377
Quote:

@monolith - yeah the tape usually just sticks on the amp. It's easy to remove without residue if I wanted to.

Thanks.

When you get that low profile LOD from Punisher, be sure to post pictures of it in the Nano/Supermini setup. I like my LOD a lot, but if that fits such a small setup well I might have to switch.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #73 of 1,377
My new portable rig...

iPod touch -> Nonby HACs *AUG x UPOCC (22AWG AUG-Line x 20AWG Neotech UPOCC) -> HeadAmp Pico (without DAC) -> triple.fi 10 Pro
(*AUG-Line=an alloy of gold and silver)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #74 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a little update of my poor man's portable. This time, with a brainsalad LOD and some headphones

portablerighs2.jpg

Brainsalad makes some nice LOD's
biggrin.gif
I love minee..

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #75 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new portable rig...

iPod touch -> Nonby HACs *AUG x UPOCC (22AWG AUG-Line x 20AWG Neotech UPOCC) -> HeadAmp Pico (without DAC) -> triple.fi 10 Pro
(*AUG-Line=an alloy of gold and silver)

<snip>

yay someone else who uses the TF10 with E2C tips, good work
biggrin.gif

also: do people really wear Grados out in public as portables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back