Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part X]
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #676 of 1,011
filipelli, I'm curious about why you'd use an amp between your Zune and Livewires. The Livewires can't possibly need the extra power, and I thought Zune's didn't have a lineout, so there'd be no signal improvement.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #678 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
filipelli, I'm curious about why you'd use an amp between your Zune and Livewires. The Livewires can't possibly need the extra power, and I thought Zune's didn't have a lineout, so there'd be no signal improvement.

Guessing here, but hiss removal is probably one advantage (it is with my iriver) and extra control is another.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #679 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guessing here, but hiss removal is probably one advantage (it is with my iriver) and extra control is another.

An amp also affects the sound signature. Maybe they like it better.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #680 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
c3star, what is a ZVMod?

Like the DIYmod but for the ZVM?

Please explain, i'm interested!!

Matt

I can answere this question for him.

Some Chinese DIYers tried this out. The process is quite similar to modding an ipod.
Short circuit the capacitor at the Line-out part of the player and put high quality BG caps in the LOD.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #681 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found a Xin SM3 improved the sound significant between an iPod and a Westone UM2, earphones I consider pretty easy to drive (loud enough for me at 50% without an amp). I'm someone who couldn't really tell a difference between the SM3 and Gilmore Lite w/ DPS using an Audio-Technica A700, so I know slight variation in sound signature I can hardly notice. I can't really tell the difference between 192kbps and V0 LAME mp3 files either. I thus conclude that the SQ difference must have been pretty significant.
wink.gif
Treble extension and clarity and bass tightness is what I noticed most. To a lesser degree (actually I can't really remember which one was more evident now since it's been awhile), soundstage was larger and there was more detail in the mids. My reference tracks were Jack's Mannequin recordings, specifically Kill The Messenger (no official recording but feel free to search for some crowd recordings). Drums, guitars, piano and friggin' awesome vocals
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #682 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cable I got from a cable maker over in HK. Best cable I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, I only use the zune software...and I don't really like the software. It is all frills, but can be a pain to navigate, and nowhere as easy to work with as itunes.

I've used the Zune software, and absolutely adored it. Maybe MS won't get so greedy and allow people to use the Zune with WMP.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #683 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Monolith: Yeah, Rav is correct in this aspect. Really, this set up is for when I listen before I go to bed. Even at the lowest volumes, the LW and Zune straight together is too loud because I am in a completely silent room. The amp in between lets me control the gain a bit, as well as the volume. NO way would I need an amp on the go.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #684 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can answere this question for him.

Some Chinese DIYers tried this out. The process is quite similar to modding an ipod.
Short circuit the capacitor at the Line-out part of the player and put high quality BG caps in the LOD.

Bingo! Thank you for your explanation!
rolleyes.gif

But I choose to install 2 red BGs in my ZVM player - in order to promote highs and midds and also make full use of my QCable's ZVM dock, but not put 4 blue BGs in the LOD which is another way to mod ZVM and improve the whole SQ - especially the quality and quatity of bass.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #685 of 1,011
Quote:

Originally Posted by c3star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo! Thank you for your explanation!
rolleyes.gif

But I choose to install 2 red BGs in my ZVM player - in order to promote highs and midds and also make full use of my QCable's ZVM dock, but not put 4 blue BGs in the LOD which is another way to mod ZVM and improve the whole SQ - especially the quality and quatity of bass.

But you have to remove the caps in the player first or suspend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back