Pictures of your portable rig- Part VI
Jan 3, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #767 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the UM1s sound with the tomahawk?

Let me preface my answer with the fact that I had the UM1s for about 5 days before I got my Tomahawk.

They sound great!

I have had my H120 for about 2 years and have been happy enough with the headphone jack and my CX300s or Grado SR80s. My only real complaint is the noticible hiss with the CX300s at low volume. I know the CX300s are fairly lowend and have planned to upgrade from them.

I got the Tomahawk mainly to couple with my recently acquired refurbed 60GB 5G IPod. I wanted the larger hard drive and color screen, but the sound quality out of the headphone jack is a big step down from the H120.

The Tomahawk provides what I would describe as a natural, non-fatigueing sound stage. The channel separation if good. As Ray Samuels described, it's like the music wraps around your head. The UM1s can handle a good amount of bass with distorting.

The UM1s sound really good from the headphone jack of my H120. They sound better from the line-out and Tomahawk, but it's not what I would describe as a totally different class of sound.

-Pony

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #768 of 866
My--ampless--portable rigs at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

e500, UM2, MDR 333 + Ipod 5.5, Nano

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #773 of 866
OMG gimme my Cisco shirt back (just finished CCNA) hehe!!

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #775 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL that shirt is now "Vintage".. as Corporate Identity has changed the logo
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #776 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me
dscn8533of5.jpg

Wow finally, some grass growin' on the lawn?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa i had been planning to take it long ago.. Every time I look at the two big books though I get discouraged... Im still on chapter 3~4 on the first book.. and this is after 1.5 years lol!

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #780 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm222876 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kramer5150, what's that interconnect you are using?

The interconnect is a DIY here are the build up pics.
Start with any generic 1/8" TRS to 1/8" TRS, and cut the connector rubber off to expose the solder contacts. The cable you see here is a $3.99 unit available at Fry's.
401268_295_full.jpg

401268_296_full.jpg

Measure this distance:
401268_297_full.jpg

Cut wires to length and solder them to the TRS. I use Canare star quad and splice it open to extract the raw cable. I imagine you could use silver-wires (or whatever that stuff is called) with excellent results too.
401268_298_full.jpg

401268_299_full.jpg

Use lots of flux. The Flux dissipates heat and prevents the connector from melting. A ~30 Watt iron is more than adequate.
401268_300_full.jpg

Test fit before adding epoxy. Make sure you have good electrical contacts. Re-flow solder if you need to:
401268_301_full.jpg

Encapsulate the ends in clear epoxy adhesive and wait for it to dry.
401268_302_full.jpg

Heres another one I made for my Little Dot Micro. I was too lazy to dremel it down and paint it.
img0018wc9.jpg

This is as far as my pics go, but you get the idea. Just use a popsicle stick and pack epoxy around the entire assembly. It should look like an oversized blob when youre finished. Use a dremel to mill it down to size. I painted mine black as you can see in the pics. I have also used a black marks-a-lot permanent marker with excelent results.

If you wanted to get creative you could use epoxy resin and fabricate a mold for it.

Use velcro and rubber bands to piggy back your DAP to the amp.

Heres the completed IC...
dscn8556kd8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back