Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600)
Feb 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #331 of 1,119
Yes Teke, I was for sure leaning towards that combo but for just a little more I could be in a AK100/100 II:bigsmile_face:   

Some people have claimed the DX50 to be superior to the AK100 stock in sq.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #332 of 1,119
Some people have claimed the DX50 to be superior to the AK100 stock in sq.

I hear you Sky, I mean I was seriously considering the small steps through the DX50/C5 combo and work my way up to an AK unit. There has also been a lot of documented claims of software application issues with both the X3 and DX50 out here. With 5 different iPods not to mention my iPhone 4, four external amps and iem's/cans out the kazoo I'm ready to just get myself into one really good hi-rez DAP/CIEM setup and gift out all my old iDevices to the family
rolleyes.gif
 I spent the better part of my 57 years putting together a decent home rig and now I just want a great portable setup for when I travel. For day to day I'm good to go with either my Adventure Alpha's or X4i's on my iPhone 4. With the little woman calling me 10 times a day just to make sure I'm alive and available the iPhone with mic'd IEM's work great for grocery shopping, lawn mowing or attending sporting events
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #334 of 1,119
Feb 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #335 of 1,119
I hear you Sky, I mean I was seriously considering the small steps through the DX50/C5 combo and work my way up to an AK unit. There has also been a lot of documented claims of software application issues with both the X3 and DX50 out here. With 5 different iPods not to mention my iPhone 4, four external amps and iem's/cans out the kazoo I'm ready to just get myself into one really good hi-rez DAP/CIEM setup and gift out all my old iDevices to the family:rolleyes:  I spent the better part of my 57 years putting together a decent home rig and now I just want a great portable setup for when I travel. For day to day I'm good to go with either my Adventure Alpha's or X4i's on my iPhone 4. With the little woman calling me 10 times a day just to make sure I'm alive and available the iPhone with mic'd IEM's work great for grocery shopping, lawn mowing or attending sporting events:rolleyes:

Hmm, for when you travel, I'd have to notify you that the stock AK100 has an output impedance issue, which I'm sure you've probably heard of before, which outputs a high 22 ohms. That'll probably make all your portable sources sound rather distorted or what not. Unless you're going to RWA mod it, which will set you back by another $200-300 on top, then only then will you have superiority over the DX50.

What I can confirm, is that the output impedance of a DX50/C5 stack is a rough 2.2 ohms, which is much more suitable for regular headphones and earphones.

It's really up to you on what you need, but just keep in mind the DX50 maintains the PRaT and musicality that's present in the iPods (the thing that makes them flowing and enjoyable). It's just a more audiophile-refined device with more detail, sound staging, and everything that the iPod does, but better on an audiophile standard. If you want a portable version of your desktop rig, it's probably better if you invest in that AK240 TrollDragon suggested. :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #337 of 1,119
LOL, I'm thinking right below that Headphoneus Supremus you need to put Instigator Immaculate:eek:
You'll have to suggest that to powers that be, it sounds like a fine custom title to me. :D

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #338 of 1,119
I know I want it. *____*

I can always count on input (and very good input) mind you out here. I know I'll surely inflame the crowd with this but I'm not liking the 240 aesthetically at all
blink.gif
 I realize I'm not listening with my eyes I just think the 100 II/120 are better looking units, heck for that matter I still find the DX50 to be one of the best looking DAP's I've seen of course this is just my PO! 

Seriously Sky, you think the DX50/C5 combo with either Roxanne's or Kaiser's would be a better DAP than the AK100II or 120? The one thing I know for sure now is if I want to hypnotize you or TrollD I just need to wave a 240 in front of you
tongue_smile.gif
 LOL

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #339 of 1,119
You don't need to wave ToTL gear to hypnotize me... A variety of cheap Soviet tubes will work just fine. :D

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #340 of 1,119
You don't need to wave ToTL gear to hypnotize me... A variety of cheap Soviet tubes will work just fine.
biggrin.gif

Stop, I'm getting sore cheeks from grinning this morning! How about this batch of 10 Soviet glowers Viktor stuffed into my VK-P5
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #341 of 1,119
I kind of just get mesmerized at tube gears in general
rolleyes.gif
 A buddy recently had a little George Wright get together at his place, tell me if this shot gets you a little dreamy eyed
blink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #342 of 1,119
Hi all, this is my first post and I am relatively new to the world of higher end audio. Considering that my rig consists of a 5th generation iPod touch I decided this was the best thread to post in. 
My current set up is the iPod with a pair of Logitech UE 400vi earphones. However they are starting to die and I am looking at replacing them with something of better audio quality, and I am currently eyeing off the Shure SE215 limited editions and the possibly of either the Fiio E11 or the Fiio E12. But I am unsure of whether to purchase the aforementioned combination or look for something else; I am an absolute newbie here.
I can see that many of those who contribute to this thread have a very good knowledge of earphones and amps, so if any of you have the time to give me some recommendations that would be amazing.

Apparently I don’t have permission to post an image, anyone know why? I am too new to be allowed to post photos? Once I figure out how to post photos I will gladly post one of my current rig.
Thanks 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #343 of 1,119
  Stop, I'm getting sore cheeks from grinning this morning! How about this batch of 10 Soviet glowers Viktor stuffed into my VK-P5
tongue_smile.gif

A 10 Tube Phono Stage... 
Nice loadout with 8x 6922 and 2x 6SN7's, now there is a buck or two in seeking some nice NOS on eBay.
Although 8x 6N23P's and 2x 6H8C's would work for me just fine! 

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #344 of 1,119
  A 10 Tube Phono Stage... 
Nice loadout with 8x 6922 and 2x 6SN7's, now there is a buck or two in seeking some nice NOS on eBay.
Although 8x 6N23P's and 2x 6H8C's would work for me just fine! 

Yep and still the real question is........................................Hobby or Disease
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #345 of 1,119
  I kind of just get mesmerized at tube gears in general
rolleyes.gif
 A buddy recently had a little George Wright get together at his place, tell me if this shot gets you a little dreamy eyed
blink.gif

Pull up a chair!
Nice little collection of Wright Audio...

It's an obsession and with all these tubes we need...

Moar CowBell

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back