Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600)
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #241 of 1,119
+1  Galaxy S Captivate is a damn good player, and a great value for anyone that can get one used: easily removable battery, stable Jelly Bean, 64gb MicroSD compatible, great build quality and portability (4" phone with a great AMOLED screen)...and it sounds good.

Running mine with CM 10.2 RC1 on it with Semaphore Kernel for Voodoo Sound. Despite it's old school 1 ghz single core hummingbird processor and 512MB ram, it can handle Neutron with flac/alac files just fine.

I just wish it had a proper line out :frowning2: But the headphone out is pretty clean at +0 db.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #242 of 1,119
It really is a good player. I didn't realize it until I got here and found it had a Wolfson DAC. Though I knew it sounded good. I also use voodoo. I've had the phone since early 2010. It's not a dedicated dap. I use ROM Toolbox and removes everything from it. Don't remember what version of CM it has on it. 10.1 pretty 10.2. Also has Voodoo. Only things installed are the camera, (just in case lol) Voodoo, Poweramp, Pandora, and Spotify. I removed the phone app, and everything else I could. It only ever runs on wifi.

I really do wish it had a proper line out though. :frowning2: tough I may look into modding it just like the 4th Gen pods where modded from red wine audio. Somehow run the DAC directly to the headphone output. Maybe that would sound even better. However it is a great affordable option given its an old phone and most don't know the beauty of the Wolfson DAC it has.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #244 of 1,119
Old school DAP....new school headphones.

Cowon D2+ 16GB w/Noreve leather case, and JVC HA-S500.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #246 of 1,119
Cowon J3 (8GB + 64GB SD) > Amperior

I also have a Fiio E6 but it doesn't improve the sound (the amperiors don't need an amp at 18ohm). I use it when playing drums though for the extra volume with IEMs (need that isolation).

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #247 of 1,119

How's the HD5 holding up? Did you acquire it recently?

Carbon-Nanotube love! :')

Headphone out of HD5 is quite noisy for iem and ebud. That is the reason I upgrade C5 to use with the line out, sound is transparent and open a bit without any distortion / noise :) Before I used with ue900. But yesterday my brother in law throw my jean to the washing machine with the ue600 in the pocket....after that i need to buy a new can. And I thought : d#$%, i will never buy iem again....maybe future but not now. :D

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #248 of 1,119
Ah, yeah I thought too that the HO would be noisy on the HD5. Good to see you liking your current setup. I also let go of IEMs and got myself some Carbon Nanotubes from JVC. That being said, I tried SoundMAGIC E10s and VSonic GR02 BE (both of which are excellent IEMs) but I can't seem to love them as much as my cans (my friends who own the IEMs love those though).

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #249 of 1,119
I prefer music out of the hd5 > c5 than modern dap like ipod / sony etc... i dunno about "highend" dap like ibasso or ak so cannot comment. To my ears, sound signature is very nature - less digital feeling and almost flat. Very nice for the price i get it (very cheap) and look cool as well. :) 
Thanx ShohailXTR :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #250 of 1,119
I love how this paired with my IPC is a Mid-Fi rig 
beyersmile.png

I also have to out on a limb here and be a Kontroversial Karl, and say I don't personally like their sound all that much. I get why they're so well regarded and I do regard them well for what they are. I just feel they are really congested. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #251 of 1,119
Hey marko93101! Good to see ya again. Are those the S400s or S500s?

The S400 JVCs do take some time getting used to, I gave mine a whole week or two (keeping my Shures aside). Initially when I tried them I felt like, "Oh crap, here goes my money down the drain.." but then I persevered. I would, however, agree with the fact that they sound congested, but I'm mainly using them on-the-go for short sessions when I can't really concentrate much on the music. But yesterday I was in the middle of a 3 hour long drive with the JVCs and could see what you meant as them 'congested'. Then again, there are a lot of people here who love their sound...

However, I do like listening to them. :3

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #252 of 1,119
  Hey marko93101! Good to see ya again. Are those the S400s or S500s?

The S400 JVCs do take some time getting used to, I gave mine a whole week or two (keeping my Shures aside). Initially when I tried them I felt like, "Oh crap, here goes my money down the drain.." but then I persevered. I would, however, agree with the fact that they sound congested, but I'm mainly using them on-the-go for short sessions when I can't really concentrate much on the music. But yesterday I was in the middle of a 3 hour long drive with the JVCs and could see what you meant as them 'congested'. Then again, there are a lot of people here who love their sound...

These are S500s! I almost bought the S400s the other day. 
By no means am I saying they sound bad, congestion is my main problem, it's like the instruments are all on top of each other. I use them at home mostly, so I notice it a bit more. I've used them for quite a long time. I've been spoiled in the past though, i've owned TF10s, M50s, Allesandros, SE215s. None of which had this particular problem. 

I'll just keep going with them and hope they open up! 

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #253 of 1,119
Took this a few days ago and forgot to post it here "The Portable Rigs"...

iPod nano 3RD Generation & E11 / Colorfly C3 & E12 / X3
Lowepro Cases Santiago DV 25 / Rezo 50 & 30

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #254 of 1,119

These are S500s! I almost bought the S400s the other day. 
By no means am I saying they sound bad, congestion is my main problem, it's like the instruments are all on top of each other. I use them at home mostly, so I notice it a bit more. I've used them for quite a long time. I've been spoiled in the past though, i've owned TF10s, M50s, Allesandros, SE215s. None of which had this particular problem. 

I'll just keep going with them and hope they open up! 

Ah, yeah I hope they work out for you. Just switched between the Shures and S400s (unfair comparison I know), you're right. It does sound like the instruments are all on top of each other.

I'll have TrollDragon's and Achmedisdead's inputs as well on the S500s though :3

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #255 of 1,119
I'll have TrollDragon's and Achmedisdead's inputs as well on the S500s though :3

Personally I love the S500's stock pads and all. I only use them as a portable headphone though, going through the grocery store or other places. At work they isolate too much so I use the PortaPro's which are open and I can hear the boss yap'in at me. :D

Considering the price of the S500's I really worry too much about the soundstage when I am out and about.

How many other $35 portable headphones other that the PortaPro's give you a great bass and decent sound.

If you used these as your primary home headphone I can see where there would be a problem, but as a grab and go, kick around headphone they fit that job perfectly. YMMV as always in this wonderful game we play in, I've taken the HFI-780's to the store before and when I shorten the cable on the German Maestros they will make an appearance outside as well... Then I'll get the looks. :D

Love em or hate em, its all part of the fun.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back