Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Apr 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #931 of 3,551
In pics: Stax Omega/Omega 2/Sigma Pro, Senn HE60, and AKG K1000. The Menace built by n_maher, Stax SRM-717, and some cheap speaker amp. Accuphase DP-75.

rig001.jpg

rig002.jpg

I'll put up pics of my main speaker rig and the other headphones at a later date.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #935 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In pics: Stax Omega/Omega 2/Sigma Pro, Senn HE60, and AKG K1000. The Menace built by n_maher, Stax SRM-717, and some cheap speaker amp. Accuphase DP-75.

rig001.jpg

rig002.jpg

I'll put up pics of my main speaker rig and the other headphones at a later date.

Droooooollll
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #936 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rig001.jpg

rig002.jpg

Woah, I have the exact same headphones except for the elusive Omega
icon10.gif
and of course that vintage Stax haedphone stand

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #938 of 3,551
Personally,
I like Nate's audio stand. It was drawn up, configured, purchased and built by Nate, exclusively.
It's a 3-legged wonder.

Apr 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #939 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys want high end? Remember, this is all in one place - but, it is not physically possible to catch it all in just a couple of pics. Oh, and there is a printed attribution of the owner - a little obscure. Oh, and there are 2 of the T300.

ampang.jpg

ampHEV90.jpg

ampni2.jpg

AmpMaestro.jpg

AmpNoIdea.jpg

Phones.jpg

Phones2.jpg

phonesgrado.jpg

phonesr10.jpg

k1k.jpg

t1k.jpg

t3k.jpg

TT2.jpg

vinyl.jpg

Is it just me, or are these photos down?
I was really getting my drool on and then I hear people raving about set-ups and I can't see them and it breaks the illusion.

P.s. I can't find a smilie that's crying so I'm going to use this one:
deadhorse.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #940 of 3,551
This is a friend's audio system in India.

It is completely DIY, every component :CD player, preamp, amps, speakers, cables.

Needless to say it is one of the finest audio systems I have ever heard.

57615546.jpg

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #942 of 3,551
that chair also looks diy.....

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #943 of 3,551
Looks as if that room needs some Damping. Echo nightmare!

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #944 of 3,551
DSC_1063-1.JPG

DSC_1066.JPG

Many changes since the last update here. Most significantly, the Rogue Apollo monoblocks. These amps are disgustingly awesome. I've never heard a component make such a difference - the magnitude of improvement has been like moving up a level or two within a speaker line. Possibly, I severely underestimated my need for high transient power capabilities (the Apollos push out 1500 Watt transients which is ridiculous for a pure tube amp), and for maintaining low distortion and high bandwidth at stout power levels. The 250 Watts/ch continuous is a nice spec on paper, but will never be approached in real-world conditions. The transients on the other hand, probably do matter (for reasonably well recorded music with 10dB-20dB+ transients).

It's been like hearing my speakers and music all over again for the first time. To be fair, I had previously been "slumming" it a bit (relative to the rest of the system) with the Rogue Atlas (still a fine amp on a budget) and some mid-power vintage tube amps. Though, I have owned high-end-ish amps in previous systems: Sunfire Signature 600 II, Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, VAC Auricle monoblocks. Honestly I like the Atlas, and some of those vintage amps, a lot compared to those other amps. I also liked the PS Audio HCA-2 I had way back when...but I digress. The speed, bass, and dynamics on the Apollos are unreal. The image is highly 3D and perfectly uniform - no blobs of sound. The weight and presence of instruments & vocals are unreal. The resulting sound is frighteningly "alive". I've been running the amps in triode mode - no need for their full power capabilities.

I've now been listening to the Apollos for a week, on three different setups - last week at the hifi shop on another set of speakers I'm familiar with, Saturday on a different set of speakers, and since Saturday night in my setup. The 'blocks had the very same effect on both pairs of speakers I was familiar with (Tannoy Glenair 10, Tannoy Kensington SE).

The other changes since the last update months ago:
* Preamp upgraded from Rogue 99 Magnum to Rogue Hera. Hearing that difference is what got me looking towards the M180...then Zeus...then Apollos
* Phono stage from Benz PP-1 at 100 ohm loading to a loaner PS Audio GCPH at 50 ohm loading
* Nice new bigger & thicker rug in front of speakers, with a thicker pad. It's an Iranian Hamadan. Love it. Do think it helped the sound a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

* New listening chair - a (now discontinued) Salamander HT recliner seat instead of the big couch. New chair fits like a glove
* Adjusted the VTA a bit on my TT
* Tweaked locations of speakers and my GIK/Auralaex panels.
* All Audioquest cabling

As much as it pains me I'm going to hold off on listening for tonight, as they're really really ripping out some serious construction outside, and lord help me if they shutter the power on/off/on while these new amps are on...

Of course, having attained a new "high" in the 2ch quest, one's thoughts immediately turn to what else can be upgraded. I'm looking at phono stage, cartridge, and possibly arm upgrades. Also, the Apollo tubes are dead stock EH right now. Surely some nice NOS 12AX7 and 12AU7 could provide benefits?

Now to clean a ton of records... (which I hate doing)
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back