Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #737 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Harbeths look amazing! How do they compare to the Thiels?

Not quite as resolving, but much more realistic. Both are pretty nuetral with the Thiels being a little on the cool side and the harbeths a little on the warm side. Bigger soundstage, both width and depth with the Harbeths. Both have super sharp, defined imaging. Harbeths have the Best midrange of any speaker i have owned. They are equal as far as both being very coherant. Not quite as extended in the treble as the Thiels. Much better bass now with the REL in the system. All in all, the most musical, and enjoyable speaker system I have owned. It was getting to point with the Thiels that i was only listening to a limited amount of music. Now i play alot more records that were in limbo because they are not the best recordings.
The harbeths are much easier to place in my room, and are not as sensative to upstream gear as the Thiels. The harbeths have a natural weight and texure to them thats much more enjoyable and realistic on almost every record or CD I play.
EDIT: One other thing about the harbeths, at low volume listening they are really nice. Alot of speakers really start to loose imformation at low volumes. Not the harbeths.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #738 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite as resolving, but much more realistic. Both are pretty nuetral with the Thiels being a little on the cool side and the harbeths a little on the warm side. Bigger soundstage, both width and depth with the Harbeths. Both have super sharp, defined imaging. Harbeths have the Best midrange of any speaker i have owned. They are equal as far as both being very coherant. Not quite as extended in the treble as the Thiels. Much better bass now with the REL in the system. All in all, the most musical, and enjoyable speaker system I have owned.

Hi Tom. I did a quick Audiogon search, and are the Herbeths only $4000.00?

Your Thiels must have been over $10,000.00.
beerchug.gif
and the Herbeths must be in high demand there are not any on Audiogon.

Looks like I need to find a local dealer, as I hate my "shouty" (spell check said it,s not a word
wink.gif
sorry, but:.. it is descriptive) B&W 703

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #739 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Tom. I did a quick Audiogon search, and are the Herbeths only $4000.00?

Your Thiels must have been over $10,000.00.
beerchug.gif
and the Herbeths must be in high demand there are not any on Audiogon.

Looks like I need to find a local dealer, as I hate my "shouty" (spell check said it,s not a word
wink.gif

Mine are the SHL5 in eucalyptus. I got them new at acoustic sounds for $5.4K. The stands were 650.00. (sub was 1995.00) There are some really good deals for used models on audiogon right now. its a buyers market out there. The Thiels were demos when I bought them and came to around $9K. So they ended up being close in price. However getting the amps to make the thiels sing was alot of $$$. The harbeths can sound good with just about anything. and power isnt a big of deal. There are some used on Agon for $3-4K, but not in the premion finish. There is a pr. of older M40s with stands for only $4K that look like a great deal.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #741 of 3,551
SHL5s, Sound Anchors, and tubes! I like your style. Beautiful room.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #744 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Mark, why don't you try something like the 800/801/802 B&W speakers?

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #745 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mark, why don't you try something like the 800/801/802 B&W speakers?

I have Meridian GO 8> Cary Audio SLP 05 (with 1940 Sylvania 6SN7 tubes)> Cary Audio CAD 500 mono blocks>$4000.00 to $6000.00 this winter for speakers.

I never turn the system on
frown.gif
not happy with it yet. I asked Tom a while back about vinyl, but i think it,s the speakers I don't like. I am a little lost and ran out of money last winter. Audio is a winter sport for me as we are so busy in the summer.

I am looking forward to saving some more money and my Christmas bonus!!!

I want my speaker rig to sound like my Supra and Senn 650. to me every thing is just right. OK my headphone rig, lacks a little detail and the cymbal's don,t shimmer like my speaker rig!

Sorry this doesn't belong in this forum

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #746 of 3,551
Quote:

Not quite as resolving, but much more realistic. Both are pretty nuetral with the Thiels being a little on the cool side and the harbeths a little on the warm side. Bigger soundstage, both width and depth with the Harbeths. Both have super sharp, defined imaging. Harbeths have the Best midrange of any speaker i have owned. They are equal as far as both being very coherant. Not quite as extended in the treble as the Thiels. Much better bass now with the REL in the system. All in all, the most musical, and enjoyable speaker system I have owned. It was getting to point with the Thiels that i was only listening to a limited amount of music. Now i play alot more records that were in limbo because they are not the best recordings.
The harbeths are much easier to place in my room, and are not as sensative to upstream gear as the Thiels. The harbeths have a natural weight and texure to them thats much more enjoyable and realistic on almost every record or CD I play.
EDIT: One other thing about the harbeths, at low volume listening they are really nice. Alot of speakers really start to loose imformation at low volumes. Not the harbeths.

Man, they sound like the perfect speakers! I've always wanted to try a pair of BBC speakers, but they're so expensive.
frown.gif
I've been considering the Spendor 1/2Es but the reviews generally say that they're only bridges to the real thing, i.e. the Harbeths.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #748 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another Harbeth user.

Is that sound deadening material over the TV? I like it, clearly the sound is the star in this room
atsmile.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #749 of 3,551
Yes, sound quality is everything to me. The one on the TV and above are actually reflector to improve imaging.

Quote:

SHL5s, Sound Anchors, and tubes! I like your style. Beautiful room.

Nice room you've there too. I like the finishing of your Harbeth. Looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back