Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Aug 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #2,687 of 3,551
Quote:

My wife prefers I use headphones to speakers. 
wink.gif

Big +1  
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,688 of 3,551
Quote:
damn..either you staked out a retirement village or went to one too many garage sales haha

ROFLMAO!!! I grew up with those pieces! Retirement village...Come over here and I'll bash you with my walker.....
biggrin.gif
 (My old CJ Walker turntable that is...:)

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #2,689 of 3,551
At the Hong Kong high end audio show this weekend, the dCS Vivaldi system made its world debut, and I had the chance to audition. It did sound more "analog" like than most vinyl setups I have heard yet retaining the cleanliness of the best digital systems. As a replacement for the Scarlatti flagship, I will be interested to see on this page when one of the Head-fi members get it - totalling around US$120,000 to US$130,000 MSRP for all four units (transport, DAC, clock, upsampler).

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,690 of 3,551
Quote:
At the Hong Kong high end audio show this weekend, the dCS Vivaldi system made its world debut, and I had the chance to audition. It did sound more "analog" like than most vinyl setups I have heard yet retaining the cleanliness of the best digital systems. As a replacement for the Scarlatti flagship, I will be interested to see on this page when one of the Head-fi members get it - totalling around US$120,000 to US$130,000 MSRP for all four units (transport, DAC, clock, upsampler).

Why spend $25,000 on a clock when you can find one for $8.00 on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/ADVANCE-CLOCK-Wall-Clock-Black/dp/B00007E7CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344825892&sr=8-1&keywords=clock

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2,691 of 3,551
Quote:

I am sure there are cheaper ones... $8.00 is a rip-off, dude!
wink_face.gif

I have a friend who always goes for the lowest and seeks best C/P ratio for everything. All people whom I know told me after they met him that he is a cheap dude, and I had to say a lot of good words for him - but I don't look it that way - it is just a matter of personal preference, and it is completely okay to be C/P ratio conscious, just that he may never get the best. What is annoying is that he always thinks he is on top of the world because he knows how to bargain and get cheap stuff, without knowing that people spoke badly of him to me all the time, including the chick he likes most.

He also uses me like a human Wiki all the time, for audio stuff and other things - that is also ok but it is a bit annoying when he seldom says thanks and take that for granted, and I only came to know him just for a few months... Oh well... A taker, I guess...

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,692 of 3,551
Quote:

I am sure there are cheaper ones... $8.00 is a rip-off, dude!

I have a friend who always goes for the lowest and seeks best C/P ratio for everything. All people whom I know told me after they met him that he is a cheap dude, and I had to say a lot of good words for him - but I don't look it that way - it is just a matter of personal preference, and it is completely okay to be C/P ratio conscious, just that he may never get the best. What is annoying is that he always thinks he is on top of the world because he knows how to bargain and get cheap stuff, without knowing that people spoke badly of him to me all the time, including the chick he liked most. It is ok to be cheap, just be humble...

He also uses me like a human Wiki all the time, for audio stuff and other things - that is also ok but it is a bit annoying when he seldom says thanks and take that for granted, and I only came to know him just for a few months... Oh well... A taker, I guess...

I think he prides himself on his cheapness because you have a headphone system that costs more than a good new car.  If he's a high-end audiophile type - assuming his cheap attitude is limited - then somebody who has the Antelope Zodiac Gold AND the Stax Sr-009 seems a good source of information.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,693 of 3,551
Guys, which recommended website for bookshelf speakers and hi end loudspeakers forum like this Head-Fi?

I am thinking to invest bookshelf speakers like B&W PM1 in the future. How to do the setup? What is Pre-amp? Is it necessary? or a power amp + a decent CD player will do?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,694 of 3,551
Try audioaficionado dot org.
Quote:
Guys, which recommended website for bookshelf speakers and hi end loudspeakers forum like this Head-Fi?

I am thinking to invest bookshelf speakers like B&W PM1 in the future. How to do the setup? What is Pre-amp? Is it necessary? or a power amp + a decent CD player will do?

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,695 of 3,551
Depending on the space you're pushing and money you're wanting to invest I'd look into a nice integrated. You can get a great tube integrated or SS (I've got my eye on the new Cambridge unit) for a few grand and then push some nice bookshelf speakers. 

Then again a lot of units a perfectly capable of pushing floor standers as well. I'm looking at Zu Audio bookshelf speakers.

Quote:

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,696 of 3,551
One suggestion for an integrated amp is the Leben CS300XS. It is a very nice integrated tube amp which could even drive my previous floorstanders (Monitor Audio Silver RX8) in a small room. At the same time, it is a very nice headphone amp which has remained at the top spot at Skylab's list of tube amps for years.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,697 of 3,551
Almost suggested it outright but having now heard one in my own setup I thought it best not to.

Quote:
One suggestion for an integrated amp is the Leben CS300XS. It is a very nice integrated tube amp which could even drive my previous floorstanders (Monitor Audio Silver RX8) in a small room. At the same time, it is a very nice headphone amp which has remained at the top spot at Skylab's list of tube amps for years.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2,698 of 3,551
Quote:
Almost suggested it outright but having now heard one in my own setup I thought it best not to.

Given that you listen to electronic music quite a bit (from your signature block), I can see why the LF is the better choice for you. I also like my LF more on those kinds of music
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #2,699 of 3,551
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOUNGE-CHAIR-OTTOMAN-MID-CENTURY-MODERN-CLASSIC-ICON-DESIGN-PLYCRAFT-ERA-/180947310484?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item2a214cd794

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #2,700 of 3,551
wow... Leben CS300XS kinda expensive for me.

Any cheaper power amp? range from 1.5kusd to 2k usd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back