Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,966 of 3,551
LOL

I didn't know he'd made it over to the dark side.

Welcome Mike!

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,967 of 3,551

Quote:
Where would I get these acoustic treatment type things? Are the cheap hundreds of dollars worth treatments the same basic panel thing to hang up? Maybe this would allow me to put my setup in my basement, if that acoustic treatment can be had for the right price. I was trying to prevent going down there for a stereo room setup because I thought the treatment for the bit of echop would be like $2,000USD+ 

You can always DIY. There are DIY studio construction and acoustic treatment forums where you can learn lots of information on what material to use, where to buy them, how to design them for your room...etc, and they will cost you far less than commercial products. Here are some great forums I visited religiously when I was designing and constructing my studio:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=bbba24acccd1e1c4ad8bea6d7a39e280
http://recording.org/studio-construction-and-acoustics-forum/
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,968 of 3,551

Quote:
LOL

I didn't know he'd made it over to the dark side.

Welcome Mike!

thanks; good to be here. i'm mostly lurking and learning. seeing if headphones might show me something.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #1,969 of 3,551

Quote:
thanks; good to be here. i'm mostly lurking and learning. seeing if headphones might show me something. 

Well, the good thing about cans is you don't have to treat the room. Although you have that covered in spades.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,970 of 3,551
Quote:
cause mossback is mike lavigne

bigsmile_face.gif
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #1,971 of 3,551
It's easy to just buy high-end, expensive gear and they make them look pretty in a room. But to really get serious, you absolutely have to learn about acoustics, optimal listening position, optimal speaker placements, as well as proper acoustic treatment.

At the very least, everyone should treat the first reflection points and use bass traps. Unless you have a room that happens to measure very well acoustically and you have calculated the most optimal listening position, your listening space is going to have all kinds of nasty room modes with nulls an peaks and slap echos and God knows what else. Putting expensive audio gear in such a  room is almost like trying to enjoy a beautiful view through a distorted window where the glass is all disfigured and bent. 

First, let's try to stay on topic and save the rhetoric on treatments for the correct thread.

That being said, as for the 'easy' part, it's anything but. It's important to take the time to consider each step, and that includes picking the right gear and making things look pretty (if that's what you want). What's important is to enjoy the journey, and for me that involved finding the right components (which was quite hard and took me years to do), designing a room that was aesthetically pleasing and inviting (equally difficult), and then doing tweaks to enhance the listening experience (still a work in progress). I never understood those jumping head first into room treatments without first spending the time to get to know your system, your speakers, playing with placement and equipment position, etc, etc. I'm still playing with all of mine. Once I'm satisfied, I'll start making room tweaks as I feel it's necessary, slowly making the room more and more to my liking.

Just remember, it's not a race. And for some, aesthetics and comfort are just as important to one's listening environment as bass traps and reflection points..

Happy listening!

David

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #1,972 of 3,551

Quote:
First, let's try to stay on topic and save the rhetoric on treatments for the correct thread.
That being said, as for the 'easy' part, it's anything but. It's important to take the time to consider each step, and that includes picking the right gear and making things look pretty (if that's what you want). What's important is to enjoy the journey, and for me that involved finding the right components (which was quite hard and took me years to do), designing a room that was aesthetically pleasing and inviting (equally difficult), and then doing tweaks to enhance the listening experience (still a work in progress). I never understood those jumping head first into room treatments without first spending the time to get to know your system, your speakers, playing with placement and equipment position, etc, etc. I'm still playing with all of mine. Once I'm satisfied, I'll start making room tweaks as I feel it's necessary, slowly making the room more and more to my liking.
Just remember, it's not a race. And for some, aesthetics and comfort are just as important to one's listening environment as bass traps and reflection points..
Happy listening!
David

You only need to know the size and position of your speakers, and that's it. You can start treating your room after that. Use the length of the room instead of wide as a general good starting point. Then there's symmetry--the more symmetrical your listening space is the better. Then it's proper speaker placement (just measure the comb filtering cancellation for nulls and then move accordingly--usually as far back to the front wall as allows, or when in conjunction with a sub, within the frequency range of the sub and no further. Then listening position--38% from front of the room is a good place to start, but measure for nulls and peaks. And that's it. It doesn't matter what gear you put in the room, that is the process. Then comes acoustic treatment, and the only thing to be concerned with in terms "working with your speakers" is the size/position of the speakers, so you can calculate the reflection points. Bass traps don't need that--you just take care of all the corners (wall/wall, wall/ceiling, wall/floor).

None of that changes, regardless what DAC, CD player, record player, cable, power conditioner, amplifier, receiver...etc you put in that room. Only the speakers will need to work with the acoustic treatments, and only for calculating the reflection points. Even with the  room modes like nulls, you don't need the speakers to figure it out--you just need to know the room's dimensions.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #1,973 of 3,551
Thanks!

Quote:
You can always DIY. There are DIY studio construction and acoustic treatment forums where you can learn lots of information on what material to use, where to buy them, how to design them for your room...etc, and they will cost you far less than commercial products. Here are some great forums I visited religiously when I was designing and constructing my studio:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=bbba24acccd1e1c4ad8bea6d7a39e280
http://recording.org/studio-construction-and-acoustics-forum/
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,974 of 3,551

You only need to know the size and position of your speakers, and that's it. You can start treating your room after that.

For reasons that are far too numerous and irrelevant to this thread, I cannot agree with this statement. But regardless, I respect your passion for treating a room. I just hope you can respect mine for all other things that I feel go into enjoying one's high end system.

Now, let's see some more pics! :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,976 of 3,551

Quote:
I'm curious, given your dedicated listening room and ultra-high-end collection of equipment ... what brought you to headphones in the first place?
Thanks!

what brought me to headphones?

last December i was using my Sennheiser HD-580's for monitoring my Studer A820 RTR deck, and i noticed the pad on the headband was coming apart. i'd had those cans for years and figured it was time to get a new pair. i looked around and somehow stumbled on Head-fi.org. the more i looked the more i got interested. there were many people really getting into headphones. i wondered if the very very best headphones might tell me things my speaker system could not. if i could have a reference apart from my system that could compete on some level that would be helpful, plus honestly messing with high end headphones looked like fun. it's my nature to want to investigate. one thing led to another and here i am......some questions i've answered and some i have not. i expect the 009's i just got and the BHSE "on the way" will eventually answer all my questions.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,977 of 3,551

Quote:

what brought me to headphones?

last December i was using my Sennheiser HD-580's for monitoring my Studer A820 RTR deck, and i noticed the pad on the headband was coming apart. i'd had those cans for years and figured it was time to get a new pair. i looked around and somehow stumbled on Head-fi.org. the more i looked the more i got interested. there were many people really getting into headphones. i wondered if the very very best headphones might tell me things my speaker system could not. if i could have a reference apart from my system that could compete on some level that would be helpful, plus honestly messing with high end headphones looked like fun. it's my nature to want to investigate. one thing led to another and here i am......some questions i've answered and some i have not. i expect the 009's i just got and the BHSE "on the way" will eventually answer all my questions.

You can get a replacement headband pad for the HD580 for around $10 on Sennheiser's website.

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=052715

The HD580 is probably my favorite headphone so far. There's just so many things it does right, especially when properly amped 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #1,978 of 3,551

Quote:
You can get a replacement headband pad for the HD580 for around $10 on Sennheiser's website.

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=052715

The HD580 is probably my favorite headphone so far. There's just so many things it does right, especially when properly amped 
smily_headphones1.gif

many thanks for the link (i ordered the headband pad). yes; the HD580 is a perfectly fine set of headphones. at the time i was likely looking for an excuse to get some spiffier cans.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,979 of 3,551
Quote:
many thanks for the link (i ordered the headband pad). yes; the HD580 is a perfectly fine set of headphones. at the time i was likely looking for an excuse to get some spiffier cans.

Stax 009's and a HeadAmp BHSE ... I'd definitely call that setup spiffy! 
wink.gif
  Have fun with the new toys, you'll have to let us know how it sounds and maybe offer some comparisons to your speaker setup.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,980 of 3,551

Quote:

That's a perfectly fine reason 
biggrin.gif
 The Hifiman HE-5LE + Little Dot MK IV + Little Dot DAC + Little Dot CD transport will probably be my next home rig, but I'll at least have to wait until I'm out of college before I can afford that combo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back