Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,951 of 3,551
A very, very impressive setup.

However; the only lowlight is that I can't detect any acoustic treatment(s) in the listening room. I really recommend experimenting with some absorbents / diffusurs (in that order). That "tweak" is quite cheap and will do your setup justice. :)

General comment to this thread:
Focus on equipment is always nice, but it is sad to see that acoustic treatment is often not present. For those tried that, they know what I'm talking about. The rest will be sceptical. Sad but true. Bottom-line: Acoustic treatment in a room to the fraction of the price of a speaker cable, will sound soooo much better...

Quote:
I love these threads.  Tons of amazing systems..

Added a few of my own.  Still wrestling with the idea of adding a stand alone headphone rig...

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,952 of 3,551
Thanks Loevhagen.  I've actually only recently moved my equipment into this room (tried the HT/2 channel all-in-one setup, but it just didn't work for me), and I've been toying with how best to solve some of the acoustical shortcomings while maintaining the overall aesthetics.  My first step will be to replace all the blinds with something less reflective - probably some roman shades.  Then I'll add another throw rug between the speakers, and look to add some plants to the top of the end tables.  I'm simply not a big fan of acoustic panels or bass traps, but I think I can still tame the room to a large degree with even these few simple steps.

Anyways, I appreciate the comments and advice.  And as much as I agree with you, I also think the opposite can be equally true - too many acoustical treatments can deaden a room and suck all the life and dynamics out of your system.  The key (for me) is to find a happy medium that maintains the room's relaxing, inviting atmosphere. I just don't want to mess too much with this view:

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,953 of 3,551

Of course, but that require quite some work. Absorbents in the 1st refelctions (ceiling, side walls and floor) won't "overdampen the room". Far from it. :)
Quote:
  And as much as I agree with you, I also think the opposite can be equally true - too many acoustical treatments can deaden a room and suck all the life and dynamics out of your system

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,955 of 3,551
I'm always puzzled if a person with genuine interests is not up to test cheap acoustic treatments in their room. I really hope more people get some eye openers with respect to such "tweaks". Often the debate is twisted into "...oh it is so easy to overdampen...". In paractical terms, that is really quite hard. A couple of absorbents at the first reflections will improve sound quality quite significant.

Check out: Ethan Winer, Gearslutz, etc.

Just a fiendly piece of advice.

I have treatened my own full sized stereo room accordingly. The change in SQ is not even subtle. 

PS: It is a bit ironic to discuss this at a head-fi forum....since I thought that was common knowledge. 

My own $10.000 Dynaudio speakers (Confidence series) bloomed with cheap acostic treatment at the 1st refelction points. Cheap = $100 worth. Go figure. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,956 of 3,551
I literally dream about a setup like yours! Nice stereo with a great turntable and a nice big, beautiful record collection and the whole setup right there in front of a window so I can watch the rain (my favorite weather, for listening or not). Beautiful and magnificent, I must say!

P.S. Is your username "PrestigeWW" referring to the movie Step Brothers? I just had to ask XD

Quote:
Thanks Loevhagen.  I've actually only recently moved my equipment into this room (tried the HT/2 channel all-in-one setup, but it just didn't work for me), and I've been toying with how best to solve some of the acoustical shortcomings while maintaining the overall aesthetics.  My first step will be to replace all the blinds with something less reflective - probably some roman shades.  Then I'll add another throw rug between the speakers, and look to add some plants to the top of the end tables.  I'm simply not a big fan of acoustic panels or bass traps, but I think I can still tame the room to a large degree with even these few simple steps.

Anyways, I appreciate the comments and advice.  And as much as I agree with you, I also think the opposite can be equally true - too many acoustical treatments can deaden a room and suck all the life and dynamics out of your system.  The key (for me) is to find a happy medium that maintains the room's relaxing, inviting atmosphere. I just don't want to mess too much with this view:

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,957 of 3,551
Where would I get these acoustic treatment type things? Are the cheap hundreds of dollars worth treatments the same basic panel thing to hang up? Maybe this would allow me to put my setup in my basement, if that acoustic treatment can be had for the right price. I was trying to prevent going down there for a stereo room setup because I thought the treatment for the bit of echop would be like $2,000USD+

Quote:
I'm always puzzled if a person with genuine interests is not up to test cheap acoustic treatments in their room. I really hope more people get some eye openers with respect to such "tweaks". Often the debate is twisted into "...oh it is so easy to overdampen...". In paractical terms, that is really quite hard. A couple of absorbents at the first reflections will improve sound quality quite significant.

I have treatened my own full sized stereo room accordingly. The change in SQ is not even subtle. 

PS: It is a bit ironic to discuss this at a head-fi forum....since I thought that was common knowledge. 

My own $10.000 Dynaudio speakers (Confidence series) bloomed with cheap acostic treatment at the 1st refelction points. Cheap = $100 worth. Go figure. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,959 of 3,551

I'm going to go out on a limb here are guess that you are not married :wink:

The most I can do for acoustic treatment is thick padded carpet, and furniture, although my racks of LP's serve as decent acoustic treatment of a sort. But the only other thing I would be allowed would be to maybe do the entire ceiling in wood diffusers...that would look beautiful and sound great but would cost a fortune.

This is a crappy pic, but it's me in the Ralston Room at the University of the South in Sewanee TN. I am standing next to $150,000/pair Wilson Alexandrias. This room was completely designed for those speakers, and the sound does indeed have as much to do with the room treatments as it does the system. You can sort of see the wood diffusers behind the speakers. But the majority of the "treatment" on the walls are books and LP's.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,960 of 3,551
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here are guess that you are not married
wink.gif

The most I can do for acoustic treatment is thick padded carpet, and furniture, although my racks of LP's serve as decent acoustic treatment of a sort. But the only other thing I would be allowed would be to maybe do the entire ceiling in wood diffusers...that would look beautiful and sound great but would cost a fortune.
This is a crappy pic, but it's me in the Ralston Room at the University of the South in Sewanee TN. I am standing next to $150,000/pair Wilson Alexandrias. This room was completely designed for those speakers, and the sound does indeed have as much to do with the room treatments as it does the system. You can sort of see the wood diffusers behind the speakers. But the majority of the "treatment" on the walls are books and LP's.

Ohh look at Skylab, ive always loved the look of Wilson, and my uncle recently had the chance to go to a gathering at a friends party which was hosted in the Frank Lloyd Wright Turkel House where the Wilsons's would fix perfectly in.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,961 of 3,551

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loevhagen\/img/forum/go_quote.gif
However; the only lowlight is that I can't detect any acoustic treatment(s) in the listening room. I really recommend experimenting with some absorbents / diffusurs (in that order). That "tweak" is quite cheap and will do your setup justice. :)

General comment to this thread:
Focus on equipment is always nice, but it is sad to see that acoustic treatment is often not present. For those tried that, they know what I'm talking about. The rest will be sceptical. Sad but true. Bottom-line: Acoustic treatment in a room to the fraction of the price of a speaker cable, will sound soooo much better... 

even in my purpose designed, acoustically engineered and built room, off-the-shelf acoustical treatments are helpful for ultimate system performance.

on each side wall i have 6 Auralex T-Fusors, which are cheap, $59 list price each. they don't change the tonal balance unless they are filled with absorbtive material. i've since painted them to match my RPG Skyline diffusor between the speakers. i have three Skylines stacked. those are more expensive ($298) as they are more agressive as that spot needs more precision.

i'm big time anti-absorbtion! using absorbtion at first reflection points will suck the energy from your system. the only exception is when you have oversized speakers in a very small room where you must over-control things or modest SPL's will over drive the room. the problem is that really good diffusion is not cheap. hence the Skylines cost more than the T-Fusors. notice the wood floor at the speaker end for maximum energy retention.

reflective surfaces are fine; uncontrolled refective surfaces are the issue.

the picture below of my room is not current; but it illustrates my points.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,962 of 3,551
I wish I could spend a mortgage on my speaker set up.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,963 of 3,551

Quote:

You will only make a room sound dead if you don't know what you're doing. There are good books out there on the subject of acoustic design and room treatments (search amazon and you'll find them). Just read one and you'll learn a ton that can be applied to your own listening space. Before I constructed my studio, I read three books on studio design, acoustic design, and acoustic treatments. 

It's easy to just buy high-end, expensive gear and they make them look pretty in a room. But to really get serious, you absolutely have to learn about acoustics, optimal listening position, optimal speaker placements, as well as proper acoustic treatment.

At the very least, everyone should treat the first reflection points and use bass traps. Unless you have a room that happens to measure very well acoustically and you have calculated the most optimal listening position, your listening space is going to have all kinds of nasty room modes with nulls an peaks and slap echos and God knows what else. Putting expensive audio gear in such a  room is almost like trying to enjoy a beautiful view through a distorted window where the glass is all disfigured and bent. 

For the people who are worried about spouse approval, there are definitely ways to make acoustic treatments look very nice--almost like creative interior design. It just depends on how artistic you are. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,964 of 3,551

Quote:
even in my purpose designed, acoustically engineered and built room, off-the-shelf acoustical treatments are helpful for ultimate system performance.

on each side wall i have 6 Auralex T-Fusors, which are cheap, $59 list price each. they don't change the tonal balance unless they are filled with absorbtive material. i've since painted them to match my RPG Skyline diffusor between the speakers. i have three Skylines stacked. those are more expensive ($298) as they are more agressive as that spot needs more precision.

i'm big time anti-absorbtion! using absorbtion at first reflection points will suck the energy from your system. the only exception is when you have oversized speakers in a very small room where you must over-control things or modest SPL's will over drive the room. the problem is that really good diffusion is not cheap. hence the Skylines cost more than the T-Fusors. notice the wood floor at the speaker end for maximum energy retention.

reflective surfaces are fine; uncontrolled refective surfaces are the issue.

the picture below of my room is not current; but it illustrates my points. 

This looks exactly like Mike Lavigne's room. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back