Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Aug 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #226 of 1,052
I appreciate all the kind words.
Quote:

Absolutely beautiful amplifier.  I wish I had the skills to build something like that but at last, I know my limitations. 

Did you do everything including the woodworking?  All I can say is WOW!!!

I did not make the enclosure, however I did create the design in Adobe Illustrator then worked with my cabinet maker friend.  Same goes for the bronze pieces.  They were cut by a water cutter.  The knob by a wood turner.

I wanted a minimalistic design that let the wood do the talking.  No stain. The advantage as a design medium, over metal, is that wood gives you depth and contrast to work with.  The recessed volume knob is an example.  As you move it draws the eyes in.   I am stoked how it turned out.
Quote:
I hate to repeat myself again as I've mentioned this in another thread before, but that is one massive looking amp sceleratus. The LCD2's is a dwarf in comparison.

Why is it so big? Transformers and the layout of the PCB boards underneath the panel.  Three transformers wide, four boards in a row.

Quote:

I hope to see more fantastic woodwork like this on the forum. Great job!

Frank Cooter rocks.  Frank has amazing skills as a "scratch built" amp designer and woodworker.  He brought a zebra wood amp to the LA Meet. 

I used to do a fair amount of woodworking but gave it up for health reasons, (shakes) but not close to Frank's abilities.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #229 of 1,052
They are Cain and Cain IM Ben speakers.  Double backloaded horns with a 6.5" Fostex 168 Sigma full range drive and a t900 super tweeter.  Approx 95 db efficient with a steady 8 ohm load.  Unfortunately Terry Cain passed away and the company that took over production, Lovecraft Designs, went out of business.  I had to buy my dual Cain and Cain subs from extra stock that a company called Blumenstein Audio had.  I was lucky to get them. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #230 of 1,052
They are really nice indeed. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of your room? It appears to be in the small side. Reason I ask is because I'm looking to get into speakers but will only be able to listen to them in my 12x11x10 bedroom. I really want floorstanding speakers as opposed to smaller offerings, but I'd like some input on whether that is feasible in such an enclosed area. I don't want to spend a few K on a pair that I won't reap the benefits of.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #232 of 1,052
  They are really nice indeed. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of your room? It appears to be in the small side. Reason I ask is because I'm looking to get into speakers but will only be able to listen to them in my 12x11x10 bedroom. I really want floorstanding speakers as opposed to smaller offerings, but I'd like some input on whether that is feasible in such an enclosed area. I don't want to spend a few K on a pair that I won't reap the benefits of.

Indeed, my room is very small.  You can check out my entire setup here:  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1288645177&openmine&zzTjkurita&4&5#Tjkurita

The dimensions are approx. 15' long by 9' wide with 8' ceilings.  I have used sound absorption panels and foam bass traps from ATS acoustics to very, very good effect.  I have one bass trap in each corner of the front wall with cardboard triangular posts that I taped together (using the boxes the traps came in!) to get them in the low and high corners.  Then I have absorption panels at 1st reflection points (or as near as I can get).  My back wall is entirely covered by three large bookcases where I keep books and CDs.  Many will say this does not match the professionally made diffusors, but there is plenty of diffusion and A LOT of absorption.  I am using the "live end/dead end" method.  As a result, there is a major null right near the book cases.  But about one foot in from that back wall, which is a little over 9' from my speakers, the sound is truly glorious.  The front of the driver is approx. 3' from the front wall and 2.5' from the side walls.  This is the recommended setup using the Cardas method for a room of my dimensions.  I have spent about $300 on room treatments and it is WORTH EVERY PENNY!  The next step for me is probably going to be their QRD or skyline diffusors from GIK or ATS, depending on which is cheapest.  I don't really believe in room treatments that are very thin (like those polystyrene diffusors from Auralex or eggcrate foam.  It took me about on week of experimenting with speaker placement and toe-in to get a sound I am happy with. 

There a few things about my particular speakers that make them a little different.  The most important is that they are full range, single driver speakers.  Multi-way drivers might require a little more room so that each driver can integrate.  The double horns have always been well integrated in whatever room I have been in but 9' is very likely a minimum distance.  When I integrate the dual subwoofers, I will likely place them approx. 11' away from my chair.  Because I am in a dedicated room, WAF or guest factors are not an issue.  This room is meant for one person to sit in (there is only one chair) and one stereo.  There are books but they mostly for diffusion.  Otherwise it is all music all the time. 

A room like yours can easily accommodate floor standing speakers, but there are a number of schools of thought.  Many people advocate purchasing the right speakers for the room.  For me that is not an option because I rent.  I want the best speakers I can get that can be moved (my speakers probably only weigh 70 lbs. each (if that)).  If you are in a permanent living situation and your room is not going to get any bigger, monitors and dual subwoofers would probably give you the best sound.  But if you plan on having a larger room in the future, get the speakers for that dream room and make them work in the room you are in now.  While opinions differ, I think that even the smallest rooms can sound big with the right kind of treatments.  I am pretty sure my room with treatments sounds as good or better than a larger room without treatments. 

Because your room is basically a perfect cube, you will certainly be up against some challenges.  My previous room (which doubled as a living room) was also cuboid.  I did not have the luxury of putting up bass traps and sound absorbers because of WAF.  But we did set up the system in a corner.  If I had a small room like yours, I would almost certainly use a corner arrangement with my current setup.  Then I would treat the corners with traps or absorbers and lots of diffusion to let the sound breathe and scatter.  Corner placement also gives you the most space between your listening position and your speakers.  The other alternative is standmount monitors in a nearfield setup.  One of the most important things to me is to get the speakers away from the walls.  But NOT the same distance between the front and side walls (this can cause nulls). 

You will reap the benefits of a good, floorstanding speaker no matter what room you are in.  Unless they are $100,000 Rockports or something...  You might get more for your money with monitors, though. 

As a final note: I have had my amp for approx. 8 years now, and my speakers for approx. 6 years.  The only gear I have changed is upgraded digital source.  And that was once in the past six years.  I tend to get gear I like and stick with it.  If you buy and sell gear and are capable/interested in changing speakers once every year or two, your speaker considerations might be different from mine.  I truly believe in getting the best gear you can possibly afford (or perhaps a little better) and then sticking with it.  Once my dual subs come in I don't plan on changing my setup for at least another five to ten years.  Good sound will still sound good ten years from now. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #233 of 1,052
sniff sniff.

I'm plum out of gear to photograph.

Until then, here's a picture of my cat.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #237 of 1,052

I strongly recommend you try and locate a second hand or ex demo pair of PMC GB1i's, they will not disappoint and will work fine in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back