Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Oct 21, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,021 of 1,052
Unusual to see such a large subwoofer used with headphones :) :relaxed: How are you enjoying the Megatron? looks awesome!

That's not a subwoofer, that's a woofer! :D

But, the bass can be a little wooly :D

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,022 of 1,052
My view today. Saturday listening session considering the terrible weather here in the Northeast.

IMG_8582.jpeg

Oct 22, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,026 of 1,052
Funny, yes, but I'm genuinely curious. I used to question spending so much on cables in my own system until I listened...

Cables/interconnects don't make sense on components and transducers that are not revealing of system synergy where synergy the most paramount factor when it comes to ultra high end stuff. Heck you can even have some amazon basics cable on one of the components as long as the final sound is tailored to your personal preference.

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,027 of 1,052
Do you use cost no object cables, power cords etc. as well?
A very polarising topic so I will tread carefully. My stance on cables for many years has been: as long as they (and the components) are of decent quality - the differences shouldn't be audible. Started by testing power cables. Ended-up building some high-end ones. Audible difference to me? Nope. A headache in terms of cable management and strain on the equipment sockets - yep. So the cables in my system are simple kettle leads on the DAC power bases and a flagship home made Furutech cable with matching Furutech connector powering the HE1 (simply because it looks nice and I built it - but sonically no proven benefit).

I then moved on to power conditioners. I found some do make a difference - but I need to revisit this before being more specific.
Analogue Interconnects? This has been bugging me for a while. My system as originally pictured had Belden 1800F 1.5m XLRs which cost $61.50 from Blue Jeans. Best digital I have ever heard. Last week I purchased some expensive cables (to put to rest my doubts) - Nordost Valhalla II - XLRs ($10K+ retail but I got a decent discount from the Nordost dealer) - to go between the Select II and the HE1. This is the only analogue link in this rig and I would love to tell you that the Nordost's transformed the sound. Sadly, they didn't.

As much as I wanted to hear a benefit - I can hear absolutely no difference between the Valhalla II's and the Belden 1800F XLRs - either out of the box - or after about a week in the system. Given this system is probably one of the more detailed and transparent headphone rigs out there - if there was a difference to be heard - even a tiny one - am sure I would have heard it.

This of course is just one comparison (and opinion) - and I am sure other cables in other systems may indeed have a sonic impact - and maybe those with golden ears will discern a difference in my system - but I wasn't able to. YMMV etc.

My next upgrade will be the MSB Digital Director. Am hearing reports from owners that this is sonically significant and I will continue to prioritise the source components over cables budget-wise - and would really urge others to do the same.

Attachments

• Nordost.jpg
    Nordost.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,032 of 1,052
A very polarising topic so I will tread carefully. My stance on cables for many years has been: as long as they (and the components) are of decent quality - the differences shouldn't be audible. Started by testing power cables. Ended-up building some high-end ones. Audible difference to me? Nope. A headache in terms of cable management and strain on the equipment sockets - yep. So the cables in my system are simple kettle leads on the DAC power bases and a flagship home made Furutech cable with matching Furutech connector powering the HE1 (simply because it looks nice and I built it - but sonically no proven benefit).

I then moved on to power conditioners. I found some do make a difference - but I need to revisit this before being more specific.
Analogue Interconnects? This has been bugging me for a while. My system as originally pictured had Belden 1800F 1.5m XLRs which cost $61.50 from Blue Jeans. Best digital I have ever heard. Last week I purchased some expensive cables (to put to rest my doubts) - Nordost Valhalla II - XLRs ($10K+ retail but I got a decent discount from the Nordost dealer) - to go between the Select II and the HE1. This is the only analogue link in this rig and I would love to tell you that the Nordost's transformed the sound. Sadly, they didn't.

As much as I wanted to hear a benefit - I can hear absolutely no difference between the Valhalla II's and the Belden 1800F XLRs - either out of the box - or after about a week in the system. Given this system is probably one of the more detailed and transparent headphone rigs out there - if there was a difference to be heard - even a tiny one - am sure I would have heard it.

This of course is just one comparison (and opinion) - and I am sure other cables in other systems may indeed have a sonic impact - and maybe those with golden ears will discern a difference in my system - but I wasn't able to. YMMV etc.

My next upgrade will be the MSB Digital Director. Am hearing reports from owners that this is sonically significant and I will continue to prioritise the source components over cables budget-wise - and would really urge others to do the same.

That's actually a good thing IMHO. I remember that Sennheiser designed the HE-1 to have the actual energizer at the headphone cups themselves to avoid cabling effects in the sound coming between energizer and the drivers themselves. Where most people hear the largest difference in cabling is between the headphone cable (but this is considered as an interconnect for HE-1) and the drivers themselves. The smallest differences would be from the DAC to a preamp/energizer/headphone amp. It's a general rule that works well unless the cable has materials or effect boxes that are actually mucking with capacitance and resistance stuff to tailor the tonality of a system

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #1,035 of 1,052
I think there is maybe some merit to the difference between materials [I.E coper or silver (both at bottom dollar pricing)] - or at least in terms of utility - but yeah... 10k on ICs? Rather spend that on another flagship or two...

Not gonna lie but if I had silly money to spend on this hobby I’d have “better” cables just because they look nice. Blue jeans LC1 and WBC Mogami interconnects for example are excellent for any priced system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back