Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #7,456 of 10,933
Quote:

What temps do you get under load?

85'C during IBT/P95 small-FFT, 65'C during typical loads. The NH-C12P mostly only struggles with the high-end of the thermal loads like the stress tests, as during general productivity loads it hovers under 60'C and during gaming it stays below 65'C.

The 2700K operated at 90'C+ during IBT load. 
eek.gif
 But that was probably partly due to the NF-P14 + LNA -- I just don't get the point of using fixed-RPM fans for heatsinks especially when they are jet engines at full RPM. I remember the same underwhelming disappointment with the NH-D14 -- just buy the Silver Arrow instead.
Quote:

Temps on 3770K are almost irrelevent as a comparison due to the shoddy TIM Intel used between the die and IHS.  Two chips on the same cooling might be 30C different under load.

Easy enough to cut the IHS off with a razor though :wink:

Part of it is also due to the gap between the surface of the die and the bottom of the IHS, which suffers from manufacturing variance. AFAIK, the TIM they use isn't terrible -- much of the benefit from "de-lidding" is realized by scraping off the glue securing the IHS to give the IHS bottom less clearance from the die.
Quote:
In any case, I always feel a certain discomfort when seeing high performance parts on such small form factor cases, it's unnatural!
wink.gif

It was mostly a cheap "side-grade" to stay true to low power consumption. You can get even smaller and higher-performance with a SG05 that can hold a 3770K + GTX 680 + H80, but that would be too loud for me.

Going forward, I don't think anyone needs more than the micro-ATX format. 2 PCI-E + 1-2 PCI should be more than enough with so much functionality being moved to the motherboards and CPU.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7,464 of 10,933
MT, take a look at these:

http://www.teresonic.com/magus/

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #7,470 of 10,933

Users who are viewing this thread

Back