Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5,566 of 10,933
Quote:
There is no space on the desk. I have drawn the conclusion that you don't do your homework or study. Am I correct? 

A reasonable conclusion.. with the massive screen real estate though I've translated most of my reading and schoolwork to the screen.
Quote:
Hmmm so you find 2000dollar speakers sound better than 1000dollar headphones? I though one would have to go to even more expensive speakers to achieve top end headphones performance.In that case I might start to build some speakers, hehehhe

Not necessarily better, but the Strada definitely beat most top-end headphones in the things headphones tend to specialize in (detail, resolution, imaging). My JH13s are definitely more intimate and have bigger bass presence since I'm not using a subwoofer.

But I've been through plenty of speakers and the Strada are just on a completely whole new level. They might retail for $2,000 but their resolution is probably comparable to magnificent speakers that retail in the tens of thousands of dollars. My speakers just before the Strada were the Sunfire CRS-3 ($2000) and they were pretty good but the Stradas are in a different playing field altogether. I haven't had this much bang-for-the-buck from speakers since my very first Infinity Primus P152 refurbs that I picked up for less than $100.. and this value is translating to a $2000 price point.

I find plenty of speakers to represent questionable value since plenty of the cost goes to the finishing (i.e. the furniture aspect) or name. The best speakers are where most of your buck goes into the design (i.e. well-engineered crossovers, implementation of quality components, thoughtful cabinet design and construction). In the Strada the materials themselves (while substantial) are nowhere near worth the $2,000 price-tag, but the design and implementation on the other hand make them giant-killers for sure.

With my other speakers I'd have a subconscious worry that I was missing fine inner details or textures of the sound that only my JH13s or top-tier cans could retrieve. That problem no longer exists with the Strada. As far as nearfield monitors or personal computer audio goes, I'm set.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #5,567 of 10,933
Posted pics of my main rig, but this is one of my other computers that I use to stream movies/TV shows from my file server as well as light web browsing.  Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's featured as my movie watching sound on the couch.

Original NES (manufactured date is the same month/year as I was born) with slightly more powerful innards.  AMD-E350 APU overclocked a bit on the Gigabyte board with 4GB of low voltage/low profile RAM.  OCZ 30GB Vertex SSD (brings this little guy to life) with a little green 20mm thick fan and controller knob on the side, just so I know it is running although it doesnt need it.

18 watts power consumption at the wall (Reliance Watt-meter measured) during 1080p x264 playback :)

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #5,568 of 10,933
Original NES (manufactured date is the same month/year as I was born) with slightly more powerful innards.  AMD-E350 APU overclocked a bit on the Gigabyte board with 4GB of low voltage/low profile RAM.  OCZ 30GB Vertex SSD (brings this little guy to life) with a little green 20mm thick fan and controller knob on the side, just so I know it is running although it doesnt need it.

18 watts power consumption at the wall (Reliance Watt-meter measured) during 1080p x264 playback :)

That is awesome. :D

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #5,572 of 10,933
just do homework on a clipboard :D

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #5,573 of 10,933
Yeah, because the only place one can do homework or study is in front of the computer.

Same for me. But luckily most of my homework is writing essays/lab reports/creative writing/papers. All of which can be done on my computer.

The only thing I can't do on my computer is my mathematics and physics homework, but for that I just push my keyboard forward a bit and I'm left with plenty space. Additionally I do a lot of the mathematics on a whiteboard. If you don't have one, buy one two. It is really useful for doing math or general brainstorming. Only disadvantage is that you can't listen to headphones while doing it; only speakers.
I'm thinking of buying/building a stand to higher my monitor. I would be push my keyboard all the way under the stand as well, giving me even more desk space if needed.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #5,574 of 10,933

Quote:
That is awesome, you should post some pics on how you did that with the NES. 

Unfortunately I didn't take any before/after or in progress pictures with this like I do with my usual mods.

Not much to it, I just used a Dremel (of course, it IS a mod :p) and cut everything out from the inside and just left little plastic posts to hold the motherboard up and allow space for the SSD underneath.  Real easy mod, I've done several and sold them after all my PC mods (at the time) were featured in a newspaper article.  I've since moved from that area and make more money so I don't dabble with stuff like that as much as I'd like.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #5,576 of 10,933
I have a convertible tablet (Lenovo) and use Microsoft OneNote 2010 for my math homework.

Quote:
Same for me. But luckily most of my homework is writing essays/lab reports/creative writing/papers. All of which can be done on my computer.
The only thing I can't do on my computer is my mathematics and physics homework, but for that I just push my keyboard forward a bit and I'm left with plenty space. Additionally I do a lot of the mathematics on a whiteboard. If you don't have one, buy one two. It is really useful for doing math or general brainstorming. Only disadvantage is that you can't listen to headphones while doing it; only speakers.
I'm thinking of buying/building a stand to higher my monitor. I would be push my keyboard all the way under the stand as well, giving me even more desk space if needed.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #5,577 of 10,933
OneNote is such a godsend for this college student. I really don't like working with paper, but I still need a pen to deal with math. Keyboard-only methods of input aren't intuitive enough for me.

In fact, I've been through three Tablet PCs already: an HP TC1100, a Gateway E-295C/C-140XL, and now an HP 2730p. Maybe after a few years, I'll grab a Fujitsu T901 when the depreciation has already kicked in and there's plenty on eBay with both finger touch and dedicated graphics to choose from.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #5,578 of 10,933
I'm in 8th grade and my school rents out the Lenovo tablets with three year leases (6,7, 8th grade). Lenovo laptops are great but the problem is they use one laptop, install everything, and use Norton Ghost ton image that onto all of the other computers, which takes a lot less time (some 3-400 computers at 24hrs each? ghosting makes more sense) BUT this slows them down considerably, I believe. Not just the ghosting, but all of the background things they have running like the Security and a bunch of other stuff I probably don't know about. They had us on Vista with 1.5ghz hyper threaded dual core (single physical) processors and 2gb ram! Blasphemy! Win7 and the Office 2010 upgrade is SO much better this year but there's always room for improvements. I could buy my own laptop, but I don't think I am interestred in buying Adobe CS3, Office 2010 and stuff myself with the computer 
redface.gif

Nexy year, for freshman year in high school, I'll see what I will do. Probably a non convertible Lenovo w/ gaming suitable specs and Win8.

Quote:
OneNote is such a godsend for this college student. I really don't like working with paper, but I still need a pen to deal with math. Keyboard-only methods of input aren't intuitive enough for me.

In fact, I've been through three Tablet PCs already: an HP TC1100, a Gateway E-295C/C-140XL, and now an HP 2730p. Maybe after a few years, I'll grab a Fujitsu T901 when the depreciation has already kicked in and there's plenty on eBay with both finger touch and dedicated graphics to choose from.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #5,580 of 10,933

Quote:
I'm in 8th grade and my school rents out the Lenovo tablets with three year leases (6,7, 8th grade). Lenovo laptops are great but the problem is they use one laptop, install everything, and use Norton Ghost ton image that onto all of the other computers, which takes a lot less time (some 3-400 computers at 24hrs each? ghosting makes more sense) BUT this slows them down considerably, I believe. Not just the ghosting, but all of the background things they have running like the Security and a bunch of other stuff I probably don't know about. They had us on Vista with 1.5ghz hyper threaded dual core (single physical) processors and 2gb ram! Blasphemy! Win7 and the Office 2010 upgrade is SO much better this year but there's always room for improvements. I could buy my own laptop, but I don't think I am interestred in buying Adobe CS3, Office 2010 and stuff myself with the computer 
redface.gif

Next year, for freshman year in high school, I'll see what I will do. Probably a non convertible Lenovo w/ gaming suitable specs and Win8.

I would've almost killed to have a convertible tablet in my high school days, especially with all the digital textbooks I needed on it so I don't have to burden my back with every needed textbook while running to the next class with only 6 minutes in between (I literally didn't have enough time to store the unneeded books in the locker and retrieve them between classes!)...on the other hand, I don't like it when schools lock down and bloat up their computers, and I wasn't able to afford even a used convertible back then.

Fortunately, my current college allows personally owned laptops, so my systems stay working exactly as I want them to. I can even use the campus Wi-Fi at no extra charge, which is a big step up from the college I was at before then (which had much more expensive tuition costs, I might add).

I have to have a convertible around for note-taking purposes, but I've thought about having a secondary powerhouse system for on-the-go usage if StreamMyGame and GameString Adrenalin don't get sorted out. Either that, or set up an external GPU with a PE-4L, a PSU, some sort of custom casing to hold the aforementioned together, and hacked NVIDIA Optimus drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back