Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Sep 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #5,371 of 10,933

Quote:
LOL...

...I just posted something in the wrong thread (and then edited that post). 
biggrin.gif

P.S.  Edoardo, Va in mona! 
wink.gif

ROTFLMAO have you been around here recently or have some Venetian ancestry?

P.S. Che'l Signor te scolte!

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5,372 of 10,933

Quote:

ROTFLMAO have you been around here recently or have some Venetian ancestry?

P.S. Che'l Signor te scolte!

I grew up in Italy (in Piacenza)...and I attended the university in Padova for one year (was sent there through a study abroad program from USCD).

During Christmas of that year I went back to Piacenza to spend the holydays with my family and they kept asking me why I was speaking with a Venetian accent (they were not too pleased).

I was in Venice just a couple of months ago.  I love that city…but what is up with all the graffiti??? 

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #5,373 of 10,933
Here's my setup...nothing crazy though. I'll have new pictures when my new gear gets here today!

PC Specs:
Intel i7 930
EVGA X58 SLI SE Board
Corsair Dominator Ram 12GB
PNY Nvidia GTX 570
Corsair H50 Cooler
Cooler Master 750 Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF-X Case
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD
Logitech Z-2300
Logitech G19
Logitech G13
Dual Samsung PX2370

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD448
Sennheiser HD228
Bowers & Wilkins P5
Klipsch S4

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #5,374 of 10,933
Just started here at Head-Fi, so I'm a bit behind, but figured I'd post a before shot
wink_face.gif
.  Here is my current desktop computer setup at home, specs below:

The computer hiding under the desk is an Asus Essentio CG5290.  Nothing too extravagant: Core i7 920, 9GB RAM, 1TB HD, GTX260.  I don't do any real gaming, but I do do a lot of computer graphics work (2D, 3D, animation) and of course audio.  The computer gets sent to the NuForce Icon 2 which powers my homemade DIY bookshelf MTM speakers or the ATH-M50 hanging beside the desk.  The speakers are HiVi M3N drivers and Dayton ND20 tweeters, with a sub from a 2.1 set hiding under the desk as well.  The Icon 2 is also hooked up to the digital piano to the right of the desk, along with my laptop when I have that on the desk as well.

Let's see what I can upgrade in the next couple of months!

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5,377 of 10,933
Very nice DIY speakers indeed!

Quote:
Just started here at Head-Fi, so I'm a bit behind, but figured I'd post a before shot
wink_face.gif
.  Here is my current desktop computer setup at home, specs below:

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5,379 of 10,933

Quote:
Thanks .Sup!  I finished them up last week and can't get enough of listening to them.  They have such clarity it's incredible and those little tweeters are stunning!

Look good!! Nice to hear they sound awesome too. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #5,380 of 10,933
How did you make the enclosure for them?  Or is that a pre-built part?  They look amazing.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #5,381 of 10,933
Thanks for the comments guys!

The enclosures are painted MDF.  The top bottom and sides are 1/2" and the front and back are 3/4'.  The sides of the front baffle also have a routered round over.  I documented most of the construction process on my blog here if you're interested.  I enjoy this type of work, but the process is very involved if you want it to look decent.  There is a forum over at Parts Express that has a bunch of invaluable tips if you're looking in to building a system.  There are tons of system designs as well as woodworking/finishing techniques detailed over there.  It's a long process, but very rewarding at the end!

Here are some quick wip snapshots:

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #5,382 of 10,933

Quote:
 I documented most of the construction process on my blog here if you're interested.  I enjoy this type of work, but the process is very involved if you want it to look decent. 

Niiice. Did you have specific goals in mind, and chose the parts specific to that goal? Also, how do the speakers measure in terms of frequency response, noise, distortion...etc? 

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #5,383 of 10,933
Some of these DIY pieces of equipment look so professional it's astounding.

That pair of speakers definitely qualifies.

Also, is that a Samson C01 on your desk? I've been thinking about picking one of those up bundled with an SR850, just to get an idea of what a quality condenser mic is like. (I'd probably need a preamp in between my X-Fi Forte and the C01, though...I doubt that sound card can deliver 48V of phantom power, even if it does support balanced XLR input with a few adapter cables.)

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5,384 of 10,933

Quote:
Niiice. Did you have specific goals in mind, and chose the parts specific to that goal? Also, how do the speakers measure in terms of frequency response, noise, distortion...etc? 

I built a pair of single 3" driver mini-monitors for a garage system and was so impressed with them that I figured I would stay with the 3" size for my computer system.  To give a little more oomph  and a little more high end I decided to go with an MTM setup.  Then I just looked for small MTM designs over at Parts Express.  There is a pretty well respected poster over there by the name of Wolf, so I went with one of his designs.

I think I'd be scared to get in to measuring speakers!  Knowing my nature (and from what I've seen, most Head-Fiers!) I'd end up building a soundproof room in the basement and spending thousands on equipment, then endlessly tweaking everything!  I'm pretty content just saying that these sound great to my ears.  I did follow Wolf's design exactly, so they should be pretty close to the original design specs here.  I will say that a sub is definitely necessary as the M3N's don't hit very low.

Quote:
Some of these DIY pieces of equipment look so professional it's astounding.

That pair of speakers definitely qualifies.

Also, is that a Samson C01 on your desk? I've been thinking about picking one of those up bundled with an SR850, just to get an idea of what a quality condenser mic is like. (I'd probably need a preamp in between my X-Fi Forte and the C01, though...I doubt that sound card can deliver 48V of phantom power, even if it does support balanced XLR input with a few adapter cables.)

Thanks for the compliment!  Not sure these measure up to some over at that forum.  There are some absolute works of art over there!

Yup, a Samson C01, sort of, that is the C01U on the desk, so the USB version.  I don't have a whole lot of mic expertise, so am probably not the best person to comment, but I love it!  I haven't recorded anything but spoken words with it, but such a huge difference to basic headset/webcam mics!

OK, back on topic, sorry to hijack!  Let's see some more computer setups.  Feel free to PM me though!!

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5,385 of 10,933

Sounds like I need a vertical touchscreen. I have terribly small forearms, and watches slide halfway to my elbow no matter what. Does the UI community have anything for triceps too?
Quote:
From a UI perspective I never got vertical touch-screens. Price isn't the reason they're not catching on. There's actually a phenomena called "gorilla arm" in the UI community that is the result of regularly using a vertical touch interface. Basically, your forearms get massive. Horizontal touch interfaces are another story all together. It's why devices like the iPad, iPhone and other more portable touch interfaces are so popular. Also kind of why I want one... OK, not kind of. I REALLY want an iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back