Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #4,487 of 10,933
What's the size of your room and how capable of a sub (or subs) are you looking to get?

Emotiva has their ultra sub 12 for $429 shipped, Outlaw Audio has all of their subs on sale with free shipping (best deal is the lfm-1 ex for $552), HSU has the uls-15 on sale for $1168 shipped, SVS has the sb12-nsd for $599+shipping, pb12-plus for $1498 shipped and the pb13-ultra for $1958 shipped.

Other companies to look at depending on your wants and budget:
Seaton
JTR
Funky Waves
Rythmik
Elemental Designs
Epik
Chase Home Theater

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #4,489 of 10,933
I will be posting my pics tomorrow once I've wall mounted my monitor, as that will mean everything can be put into it's intended place. The only thing missing will be some acoustic treatment (my desk is built into a cupboard and I'm fairly sure this is going to need some attention), but I'll ask for opinions on here once you can see what it looks like.

Got my Van Damme Neutrik XLRs and TC Electronic Level Pilot today so I can control my Focal speakers from the desk rather than having to adjust individually. Question in advance of this... what should I set the volume of the Focals to? Maximum? Halfway?

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4,490 of 10,933
I've got M-Audio Bx8a's going through the level pilot. I have their volume set to about a quarter and it can get plenty loud.

Do speakers use any more power when they are throwing out music at full volume rather than say 10% volume?

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #4,492 of 10,933
I have a subwoofer and a receiver but the receiver's line outs don't work and I have no idea how to make it work. It's some random RCA one, but it's better than nothing. So right now my option is to not use my uDac-2 and plug straight into my speakers so I can add a subwoofer, or use the uDac-2 and not have a subwoofer. Painful. 

Stupid receiver.

I can't imagine how badly my setup is going to be royally screwed next year in university... having no room is going to suck.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4,493 of 10,933
Quote:
I have a subwoofer and a receiver but the receiver's line outs don't work and I have no idea how to make it work. It's some random RCA one, but it's better than nothing. So right now my option is to not use my uDac-2 and plug straight into my speakers so I can add a subwoofer, or use the uDac-2 and not have a subwoofer. Painful. 

Stupid receiver.

I can't imagine how badly my setup is going to be royally screwed next year in university... having no room is going to suck.

I have an old AIWA receiver back home with a 2.1 setup. Im using random RCA out also hehe. It is better than nothing though. Try to sell it and buy two bookshelves. I bought some AV40s and its not as great as 2.1 but youre going to kick yourself if you have to pack your receiver, speakers, sub. Plus its already enough of a hassle getting your computer and monitor into the dorm. Thats just me though maybe Im lazy.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4,494 of 10,933
^ I don't have a sub but my speakers go down to 45 hz so I'm not really missing it that much (not that I could have one anyway living in an apartment complex). I would definitely take that into consideration of course when comparing 2.0 setups. I notice a lot of them don't even extend to 50 hz and some are like 65 hz.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #4,495 of 10,933
only starting to get into audio stuff now because all i do is listen to music and game :D

hopefully get some better stuff when i can get more hours on at work.

sound card is x-fi titanium

only headset i have are the Steelseries 7h but saving up :D

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #4,496 of 10,933
more importantly - where do I get that wallpaper??? and who is it?? ouch...

Quote:
only starting to get into audio stuff now because all i do is listen to music and game :D

hopefully get some better stuff when i can get more hours on at work.

sound card is x-fi titanium

only headset i have are the Steelseries 7h but saving up :D

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #4,498 of 10,933

Quote:
^ I don't have a sub but my speakers go down to 45 hz so I'm not really missing it that much (not that I could have one anyway living in an apartment complex). I would definitely take that into consideration of course when comparing 2.0 setups. I notice a lot of them don't even extend to 50 hz and some are like 65 hz.

That brought up another good point. If youre going to be living on campus residence theres no need to have a subwoofer in a tiny little dorm room. Dont be that guy down the hall with the subwoofer. Its f!@#$%^ annoying! 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4,499 of 10,933
Yeah but the AV-40s only reach to like 85Hz, which means a lot of thump thump is missing. But yeah I couldn't fit a receiver anyways. So I'm either looking at selling my uDac-2 and getting an Icon-2 or ditching everything and just using the regular outputs on my computer, which I don't envy (no volume knob lol) because then I can't connect my headphones. Probably would drive roommates up the ceiling, haha.

I'll upgrade speakers then instead of subwoofer and receiver. :D 
Too bad there's not brick and mortar store in Toronto that won't kill my wallet (anymore than Head-Fi...). I suspect I might have to go used again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back