Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 15, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #4,382 of 10,933
Yeah I just use a trackball instead. Personally the current Apple keyboards are just write for me 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #4,385 of 10,933
Unicomp keyboards.

That is all.

(Okay, yes, my current keyboard is a Logitech G19. But still... mechanical spring-loaded action, steel plate backing... you can slap a man across the face with a Unicomp keyboard and the board'll be fine. I can't say quite the same for the face.)

-- Griffinhart

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4,386 of 10,933
I really prefer the flat surface as well. I use almost the same Logitech as the above, but I have a wireless version that works flawlessly as well. It's the K800 and it is simply fantastic.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #4,389 of 10,933
That Logitech is $20-$40 cheaper elsewhere if it's not the wireless version.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #4,390 of 10,933
Quote:

That being said, I wish I had the time/patience to learn the Dvorak layout. Most people don't know this, but when the Qwerty layout was designed, it was done so in a time when mechanical typewriters were slow. If the typist went too fast, it was common to jam it up. Qwerty actually has some anti-optimization in it to help combat this. Of course, in a digital age, such things are unnecessary and from what I hear, Dvorak is much better optimized for English.

The problem is, I can already type rather fast on a normal keyboard. I would take a drastic hit if I were to switch to Dvorak. I'm sure I could make the transition in a month or so, but that would still take a month of reduced productivity.

Oh well.

Yeah, and even after you have learned the keymap reasonably well it takes awhile to get back to speed. Especially if you still have to use qwerty at times. I've never been a quick typer (60-70wpm) but dvorak didn't make me quicker. It just made it so my carpal tunnel flared up less.

Quote:
Honestly? I find "ergonomic" keyboards to be a pain. The action always feels just 'meh' (I know, descriptive, right?) and I much prefer typing on a more flat surface. Preference, I guess.

The only real ergonomic piece I've added to my computer is a bean cushion under my wrist for my mouse. There are a lot of things I love about the Magic Mouse but it's ergonomics are not one of them...

I hated the old school split-ergonomic keyboards. It wasn't actually ergonomic for me. Something the Curve and the Logitech Wave actually do work for me from an ergonomic standpoint. Still not the same key action as a mechanical though.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4,391 of 10,933
^ Yeah the old school split-ergos were so different from a traditional keyboard that you would have to re-train your brain to use them properly I imagine. I gave up on them really fast. So far no carpal but I'm only 32... :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #4,392 of 10,933
IMO - nothing beats the PIANO - the greatest keyboard there is - but OH>>>> we are talking about pc keyboards...oh I blush with my error -___ NOT....

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4,395 of 10,933
Yes - I have to end up getting a MIDI keyboard controller for using it with Cubase 6 - but for performing live and making live music - I always use piano .... a distant second love - FENDER RHODES....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back