Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4,366 of 10,933

Quote:
Here's my apartment bedroom (hence the wallpaper), no good speakers yet but I'm looking to purchase some bookshelf ones to replace my old Logitech z-5300e's that I've had for years. I'm currently looking at M-Audio AV40's, Audioengine 2's, and Swan D1010MKII 08 or D1080MKII 08, any recommendations? Budget is $200. 

how do you like the das keyboard? thinking of getting one myself.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4,367 of 10,933
Quote:

The Das is fantastic. I've had the Professional Silent version (cherry mx browns) for a few weeks now and I love it. I was gonna get the non-silent one but I'm moving from my apartment back to a dorm in the fall and I didn't want to potentially keep my roommate up at night with the clicking of mx blue switches. I was also gonna get the Ultimate version but decided to be practical and get the lettered keys. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #4,368 of 10,933
Here is my setup in my very small room (it is like 10' x 10' or 12'). I recently joined Head-Fi and recently started the pursuit of better audio. 

I know the speakers are not in a great position for listening, especially from the desk, but with the limited room, it was the best I could do. I try to do most of my music listening on the opposite end of the room. 

The B&W 685s are brand new and I am really liking them. I am using an old cheapo 5.1 receiver for power though and really want a dedicated amp to make them sing. I am also using the sub from the Logitech Z-2300 speakers for now. I made the stands from designs shown on this site, Thanks. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #4,370 of 10,933

Quote:

crappy pic but only have a cellphone camera thing.

Anyway this is my setup.
from left to right.
Philips BD9600 Blurayplayer   -  my pc - MF M1 DAC - M2tech EVO - WA5-LE.
Plasma is a LG 60pk250. bottom left a Dune mediaplayer. All bases covered i guess  :)

I hope you have a screensaver set up.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #4,371 of 10,933

Quote:

I have the non-silent ultimate das keyboard (so the loud one without the key markings) and it is an awesome keyboard. From memory, it did take a bit of getting used to, and I've had it for almost two years now. I'm fairly sure by that stage, my two G15 keyboards had failed themselves. Be warned though, after getting used to typing on a mechanical keyboard, I have found myself getting very frustrated whenever typing on any other keyboard (especially the Macbook ones, they're terribile...) Typing on the Das is just delightful :)

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4,372 of 10,933

Quote:
I have the non-silent ultimate das keyboard (so the loud one without the key markings) and it is an awesome keyboard. From memory, it did take a bit of getting used to, and I've had it for almost two years now. I'm fairly sure by that stage, my two G15 keyboards had failed themselves. Be warned though, after getting used to typing on a mechanical keyboard, I have found myself getting very frustrated whenever typing on any other keyboard (especially the Macbook ones, they're terribile...) Typing on the Das is just delightful :)

See, I'm the opposite. I hate mechanical keyboards. I find I can't type nearly as fast on them. I do, however, love my Apple Aluminum Keyboard. I wouldn't mind a mechanical keyboard as long as the action wasn't so deep. It's why I love scissor-switch keyboards. However, I have yet to see a mechanical keyboard that didn't have a deep action. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #4,373 of 10,933

Quote:

A keyboard with no markings? I am dissapoint. :|

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4,374 of 10,933

Quote:

See, I'm the opposite. I hate mechanical keyboards. I find I can't type nearly as fast on them. I do, however, love my Apple Aluminum Keyboard. I wouldn't mind a mechanical keyboard as long as the action wasn't so deep. It's why I love scissor-switch keyboards. However, I have yet to see a mechanical keyboard that didn't have a deep action. 

Each to their own I guess. I would have to assume that Macbooks use a similar mechanism to most laptop keyboards (which are the scissor-switch ones right?) but I just can't type fast at all, and my accuracy decreases significantly when using my Macbook. I haven't used any other laptop keyboard in a while, so I'm not sure whether or not it's just a Macbook thing, or a laptop keyboard thing in general, but the feel on a Macbook keyboard feels quite different to a traditional laptop keyboard from what I can remember.

I can't remember the reason for the learning curve on the mechanical keyboard, but I think it did have something to do with the longer travel. I'm fairly sure all mechanical keyboards have the long travel due to the way the keys are designed, but not entirely sure on that.

Quote:
A keyboard with no markings? I am dissapoint. :|

Why's that? It looks a whole lot better than a keyboard with them, especially when the key markings start to fade from some of the keys.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #4,376 of 10,933
Psh, only memorizing one keymap. I use Dvorak cause I have a decent case of carpal tunnel, but I still need to know qwerty cause I'm in IT and pretty much any machine I hop on will have it. It's really not as hard as you'd think though. You'd probably find you remember more than you think anyway. Switching back and forth between two keymaps can be a pain though.

Quote:
Illuminated keyboards ftw. In all honesty I just dont feel like memorizing more than qwerty...

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #4,378 of 10,933

Quote:
Each to their own I guess. I would have to assume that Macbooks use a similar mechanism to most laptop keyboards (which are the scissor-switch ones right?) but I just can't type fast at all, and my accuracy decreases significantly when using my Macbook. I haven't used any other laptop keyboard in a while, so I'm not sure whether or not it's just a Macbook thing, or a laptop keyboard thing in general, but the feel on a Macbook keyboard feels quite different to a traditional laptop keyboard from what I can remember.

I can't remember the reason for the learning curve on the mechanical keyboard, but I think it did have something to do with the longer travel. I'm fairly sure all mechanical keyboards have the long travel due to the way the keys are designed, but not entirely sure on that.

Definitely. Keyboards fit squarely in the realm of personal preference. And yes, they follow the same mechanism as other laptop keyboards. Personally, I really like the spacing of the Apple keyboards. It's why I enjoy them the most. Some keyboards feel tight and the keys are kind of squished. There's a pretty clear gap between the Apple keys.

Again, all preference. I will admit, aesthetics plays a part in it for me. However, I find function and form work well in this combination.

That being said, I wish I had the time/patience to learn the Dvorak layout. Most people don't know this, but when the Qwerty layout was designed, it was done so in a time when mechanical typewriters were slow. If the typist went too fast, it was common to jam it up. Qwerty actually has some anti-optimization in it to help combat this. Of course, in a digital age, such things are unnecessary and from what I hear, Dvorak is much better optimized for English.

The problem is, I can already type rather fast on a normal keyboard. I would take a drastic hit if I were to switch to Dvorak. I'm sure I could make the transition in a month or so, but that would still take a month of reduced productivity.

Oh well.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #4,380 of 10,933
Honestly? I find "ergonomic" keyboards to be a pain. The action always feels just 'meh' (I know, descriptive, right?) and I much prefer typing on a more flat surface. Preference, I guess.

The only real ergonomic piece I've added to my computer is a bean cushion under my wrist for my mouse. There are a lot of things I love about the Magic Mouse but it's ergonomics are not one of them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back