Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #4,246 of 10,933

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you guys prop up your speakers on the desk? I've always put mine right on it.

edit: never mind, Somnambulist explained it more correctly. The speaker box itself impacts how the speakers sound and when they're sitting on something like a wooden desk the desk vibrates with the speaker and thus colors the sound.

Somnambulist: I was also considering getting one of those stabilizers, like the RX7, but spending over $100 for each when I'm using them for $400/pr speakers killed that idea.

a) find site that does acoustic foam cut-to-size, or source a sheet of dense foam that's sold as 'acoustic' foam by audio companies. Should cost you less than the Mopads, although they are what, $30?
b) steel plates were about £15 incl/shipping for me. Small tin of Hammerite = £5, you could probably get the same for the equivalent price in dollars. You probably only need half an inch as they are heavy. The eBay seller I used here in the UK put up the auction specced to my needs (20x20x1cm) after I messaged him, so the plates re perfectly sized for the speakers. Handy!
c) if your monitors shipped with a rubber mat to sit on, there's your rubber layer, if not, neoprene sheets are cheap.

The Recoil Stabilizers materials cost very little, you're paying for the name and construction. I think both of mine cost about £45? Minus a couple of quid for the material, a quid for the bricks, and sourcing foam for $15-20 rather than $30, and you have two stands that are the same as the RS but cost miles less than one of them!

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4,247 of 10,933
^ I might try that, thanks.

I'm using my speakers in a mid-fi setup though and in an area that is probably bad for acoustics anyway so I've probably already hit the beginning of diminishing returns with just the Mopads.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #4,248 of 10,933
Yeah I mean mine are going in a big hole in the cupboard, so perhaps I've over-done it (although at least they are decoupled from it)! I'm already thinking of putting some small bass traps in the corners behind them, but there's no much else I can do, other than try and use a half decent mic and some software (is there an app for that lol?) to see what my listening position is getting, then I can use the filters on the speakers to try and compensate. The CMS's were at least designed to work well in less than ideal environments, so perhaps it won't turn out too badly.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #4,249 of 10,933

Quote:
All hands to battlestations!

I've swapped the positions of the two figurines and moved the plushie Slime over to the left side, but other than that, these images are more-or-less accurate.

Oh, and I now have a pair of K702s as well as the DT770s.

Yes, I do have an Xbox 360, PS2, and PS3 set up at my PC. Two monitors with multiple inputs means I can game at my computer - none of this "need a TV to play games on" weakness, and the 6-in 1-out switchbox lets me select what system I want to hear; the output from that box goes to my PC's mobo's line-in, which means I don't even have to do any sort of cable or headphone swapping.

Like any sane person, this is all running through a PSU (over there on floor on the right) to protect against power surges and the like. (The PSU can also keep my machine and a monitor alive for 8-ish minutes in case of a power outage - plenty of time to save any important things and power off.)

I also have five virtual desktops (heck yeah, Dexpot!). In order:

Internet. Firefox on the left, IRC (via standalone Chatzilla) and Pidgin (currently semitransparent because it's not in-focus) on the right. I also typically have Thunderbird on the right, behind that Chatzilla window. I'll also have a Mumble client running in the background - my roommate runs a Mumble server and we use it for in-apartment vox communications (and when we game together). Behind Pidgin, you can see RainMeter, and how I have it set up. It's the same across all desktops.

Working. Normally when I'm doing homework or coding or whatever, I'll use this desktop. Left side is for the actual work environment (LibreOffice or Visual Studio or, most commonly a command-line window and Notepad++), right side is for reference/documentation texts. Since I wasn't not working on anything in this window when I screenshotted, I un-autohide'd Rocket Dock to show off my dock.
From left to right: Calculator, Notepad++, Paint, My Computer, Network, Control Panel, Music Library, Anime Library, Pictures Library, My Documents, Downloads, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Pidgin, standalone ChatZilla, command line, MS Visual Studio 2008, ePSXe, EVE Online, PCSX2, foobar2000, Rocket Dock settings, C Cleaner, File Shredder, Process Explorer, Resource Monitor, Recycle Bin (I changed the "full" image to Rin [from Katawa Shoujo] in a Bin). The dock is the same across all desktops.

Gaming. When I took the shot, I was playing EVE, so you can see how my general EVE Online setup is: game on the left side, reference stuff on the right. (In this image, pyfa for ship fittings, EVEmon skill plan. I also have a Chrome window open behind pyfa for looking stuff up - such as missions on eve-survival.org.)

Miscellaneous. Stuff that I want to run in the background, but don't need to look at. For example: foobar2000. I listen to music, but I don't want the f2k window cluttering up my other desktops since I'm not always doing stuff in f2k. (In this image, f2k is semitransparent because it's not in focus.) Often I have a Chrome window open to Google Translate (I have a lot of Japanese music) if I need to look up a translation; in this specific image, I was looking up some Touhou remixes.
I also have ZNC, an IRC bouncer, running in the background in my Miscellaneous desktop.

Maintenance. From left to right: CPUID Hardware Monitor (so I can watch temperatures, voltages, fan RPMs, etc), System Information window from Process Explorer (a nice quick visual of how much of my machine's resources are being used), Process Explorer (it's like task manager, but better), and Resource Monitor (for a more detailed look at what resources are being used by what processes). Also, when my daily MyDefrag defragger runs (at 6AM), it opens itself on this desktop (so if I'm up at 6AM, it doesn't take over some other desktop).

And before you ask - I rotate through a large library of wallpapers (currently 28058 images) every minutes, hence why the wallpaper in the Working desktop is different from the one in the Miscellaneous desktop is different from the ones of my battlestation. (No, all the desktops have the same background, it just changes every minute.) And yes, my desktops have no icons on them - not even the Recycle Bin (that's in my Rocket Dock, remember?).

So yeah, that's my setup.

-- Griffinhart

Sweet Jesus...

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #4,250 of 10,933
When I'm booted into Ubuntu, I have four desktops; the Miscellaneous and Maintenance desktop are combined into a single "Terminal" desktop, because Ubuntu (as most distros of Linux that I know of) has a fully-functional terminal, instead of that weaksauce "command line console" that Windows had.

I'm still ticked off that Microsoft hasn't given its users a full-on terminal. I mean, Linux has had one only since freakin' forever... (and also native support for virtual desktops - on Windows I have to run Dexpot.)

Unrelatedly, I'm jealous of how clean most peoples' physical desktops are in this thread. I wish I had a large surface area to work on/in... ;A;

(Also I really need to clean up all these cables...)

-- Griffinhart

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #4,251 of 10,933

Quote:
I really like how clean and uncluttered your area is. Really diggin' those speaker stands too. :)

Quote:

+1

It looks as though those speakers and stands were made for each other. :)

Thank you guys :)

I made the stands for the Behringer's i have made a few pairs now. Making stands is actually really easy, finishing them is harder but im planing on getting a pair of Usher S520's next and the stands i make for those will be painted in gloss 2 pac which will be an interesting exercise.

Here are some photos of stands i have made for the monitors.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4,253 of 10,933
Thanks for the tips dudes. I have one speaker on the left of me (chest level) and one to the right, behind me (er... buttocks level!). So I may try to reposition them to find the better placement (and need a new desk in the process :frowning2: ).

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #4,256 of 10,933
I got some new speakers...now I need a new desk to go along with them since I'm running out of space to put things -_-

http://pics.dvian.net/images/w6fepnuhmvvgyh3a6av9.jpg

sorry about the quality I used my phone since I have no idea where our normal camera is atm

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #4,257 of 10,933

Quote:
I got some new speakers...now I need a new desk to go along with them since I'm running out of space to put things -_-

http://pics.dvian.net/images/w6fepnuhmvvgyh3a6av9.jpg

sorry about the quality I used my phone since I have no idea where our normal camera is atm

You need a new desk? Maybe you should just reorganize your desk and stop complaining....look what I have to work with -___- 

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #4,260 of 10,933

Quote:

Not hating on your setup but don't you wish your stand and amp was black to match everything else? I know I'm a sucker for a matching theme so I've written off buying certain gear due to just the color of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back