Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3,992 of 10,933

Quote:

Sweet setup. Which monitors are those? Dell U2410? How long is the table?

I believe the table is 5 feet long.  It doesn't fully support the base of the stand (a little bit hangs off both ends).  Just keeping my fingers crossed that a big earthquake doesn't happen in California
gs1000.gif

May 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #3,993 of 10,933

Quote:

I really like the newer Mac keyboards, to the point that I have a hard time with the old-style spring keyboards now. But I am not a PC gamer or even a touch typist. I use my Mac for Photoshop but my scanner driver just expired for W7 and Snow Leopard so now I scan on my XP system.

Seriously??
biggrin.gif

Anyway, Macs are (slightly) better for usability and reliability, while PCs are meant for sheer performance.

To each their own.

May 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #3,994 of 10,933

Quote:
Seriously??
biggrin.gif

Yes these printer/scanner drivers just "go away" sometimes. Both my Canon 9900f scanner and my HP PSC 1210 all-in-one stopped scanning with the latest Snow Leopard update and they don't even list drivers for Window 7. The printer still prints with the new OS (not sure about W7), but I have it hooked up to the XP machine now like the 9900f. I use an HP Deskjet 9800 widebody for printing out of the Mac Pro. One of these days I will get a widebody all-in-one and get rid of a few things lol, including an old thermal fax, which also houses my answering machine. I would gain a lot of table space and the ability to print 2-sided but I still have all of these consumables to use up, so screw it for now. I've even got a full-on networkable laser printer laying around that works great but needs almost $1k worth of toner carts and imaging drum lol so I keep it off line, I probably wouldn't even get $500 for it even with the extra paper tray so space it takes. I've also got an HP G85 all-in-one in storage that won't run on even Windows XP because of a Java dispute between HP and Sun.
mad.gif
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3,995 of 10,933

Quote:

Yes these printer/scanner drivers just "go away" sometimes. Both my Canon 9900f scanner and my HP PSC 1210 all-in-one stopped scanning with the latest Snow Leopard update and they don't even list drivers for Window 7. The printer still prints with the new OS (not sure about W7), but I have it hooked up to the XP machine now like the 9900f. I use an HP Deskjet 9800 widebody for printing out of the Mac Pro. One of these days I will get a widebody all-in-one and get rid of a few things lol, including an old thermal fax, which also houses my answering machine. I would gain a lot of table space and the ability to print 2-sided but I still have all of these consumables to use up, so screw it for now. I've even got a full-on networkable laser printer laying around that works great but needs almost $1k worth of toner carts and imaging drum lol so I keep it off line, I probably wouldn't even get $500 for it even with the extra paper tray so space it takes. I've also got an HP G85 all-in-one in storage that won't run on even Windows XP because of a Java dispute between HP and Sun.
mad.gif
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

First of all, I'm sorry for your desk to house so much hardware around
wink.gif

You should be able to connect your printer for basic device recognition and driver install, if not then running windows update should get the drivers, even if limited ones. This for both printers.

About the scanner, you do know that you can install Vista drivers on Windows 7, right?
Try here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9900f#DriversAndSoftware

And perhaps this would enable you to install the G85 on xp (assuming it's the regular and the non-xi model):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=30374&prodNameId=19543&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=oj-6106-3
The procedure for installing on Vista/7 is similar to the PSC 1210.

May 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3,996 of 10,933

Quote:
First of all, I'm sorry for your desk to house so much hardware around
wink.gif

You should be able to connect your printer for basic device recognition and driver install, if not then running windows update should get the drivers, even if limited ones. This for both printers.

About the scanner, you do know that you can install Vista drivers on Windows 7, right?
Try here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9900f#DriversAndSoftware

And perhaps this would enable you to install the G85 on xp (assuming it's the regular and the non-xi model):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=30374&prodNameId=19543&swEnvOID=228&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=oj-6106-3
The procedure for installing on Vista/7 is similar to the PSC 1210.

Hi Roller, thanks for the effort!

Yes the 1210 will work as a printer with everything, as you said the driver is limited so it doesn't scan with the newer OS's but the Canonscan is a better scanner anyways so no biggie. I had just scanned with the 1210 in Snow Leopard a month ago, but Apple's last system update (10.6.7) fixed that.

I'm not sure when my 9900f went offline for OSX becaused I hadn't used it for quite a while but the 9950f still works with 10.6.7 from what I have read. I will try the Vista Driver for W7 the next time I boot into it but frankly it's easier to just go to the XP machine to scan than to re-boot the Mac into W7 when I am in Snow Leopard, which is where Photoshop lives. That will be great if the Vista driver will work, I don't see why Canon wouldn't list W7 as an option if that is the case though.

The last time I tried to use the G85 I was migrating from Windows 2000 to XP; that's when I discovered the Java issue. It seemed to be a three-way blame game at the time with no fix in sight. I was also on OSX Tiger at the time, and I could print but not scan from my iMac back then. It's literally been years since I have powered on the G85 or checked back into the driver issues but it was a good machine. I may give it another try sometime, but as that driver you linked to was issued in 2003 I think it may be the same one that frustrated me back then.

On the Mac even though the G85 wouldn't scan it was a better copier and fax than the units I am using for those purposes now. But I don't copy and fax as much as I used to, and it is pretty big so I wouldn't save any space either. Plus there's the answering machine; I'd have to seek out another one or pay for voicemail or just keep the fax hooked up to use for that purpose only. But I may give it another try if I run out of cartridges for the 1210 lol.

One thing that's great about using these older printers is the proliferation of their ink cartridges on eBay from those who have already moved on. But I don't print as much as I used to either.

May 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3,997 of 10,933

Quote:

Hi Roller, thanks for the effort!

Yes the 1210 will work as a printer with everything, as you said the driver is limited so it doesn't scan with the newer OS's but the Canonscan is a better scanner anyways so no biggie. I had just scanned with the 1210 in Snow Leopard a month ago, but Apple's last system update (10.6.7) fixed that.

I'm not sure when my 9900f went offline for OSX becaused I hadn't used it for quite a while but the 9950f still works with 10.6.7 from what I have read. I will try the Vista Driver for W7 the next time I boot into it but frankly it's easier to just go to the XP machine to scan than to re-boot the Mac into W7 when I am in Snow Leopard, which is where Photoshop lives. That will be great if the Vista driver will work, I don't see why Canon wouldn't list W7 as an option if that is the case though.

The last time I tried to use the G85 I was migrating from Windows 2000 to XP; that's when I discovered the Java issue. It seemed to be a three-way blame game at the time with no fix in sight. I was also on OSX Tiger at the time, and I could print but not scan from my iMac back then. It's literally been years since I have powered on the G85 or checked back into the driver issues but it was a good machine. I may give it another try sometime, but as that driver you linked to was issued in 2003 I think it may be the same one that frustrated me back then.

On the Mac even though the G85 wouldn't scan it was a better copier and fax than the units I am using for those purposes now. But I don't copy and fax as much as I used to, and it is pretty big so I wouldn't save any space either. Plus there's the answering machine; I'd have to seek out another one or pay for voicemail or just keep the fax hooked up to use for that purpose only. But I may give it another try if I run out of cartridges for the 1210 lol.

One thing that's great about using these older printers is the proliferation of their ink cartridges on eBay from those who have already moved on. But I don't print as much as I used to either.

Many manufacturers don't go through the trouble of supplying legacy product drivers for newer OSes, as it involves a series of expenses that aren't justified, in their perspective. But given that Vista and 7 share the same kernel, most Vista drivers work very well if not flawlessly on 7.

What I'm saying about both your HP products is that they're fully supported on Windows 7, just that their driver install methodology changed (for the worse IMO). But through USB connection, the hardware gets recognized, then you jump on Windows Update and it will have the drivers available for you, which will also install some lite software package and control panel.
Java issues can only be related with some app, as the core system files have no connection with Java.

Overall, if you're not using all those printers/scanners/faxes, the best thing would be to get rid of them, as maintenance gets quite expensive.

May 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3,998 of 10,933
Just filling space while we wait for new photos...

Quote:
Many manufacturers don't go through the trouble of supplying legacy product drivers for newer OSes, as it involves a series of expenses that aren't justified, in their perspective. But given that Vista and 7 share the same kernel, most Vista drivers work very well if not flawlessly on 7.

What I'm saying about both your HP products is that they're fully supported on Windows 7, just that their driver install methodology changed (for the worse IMO). But through USB connection, the hardware gets recognized, then you jump on Windows Update and it will have the drivers available for you, which will also install some lite software package and control panel.
Java issues can only be related with some app, as the core system files have no connection with Java.

Overall, if you're not using all those printers/scanners/faxes, the best thing would be to get rid of them, as maintenance gets quite expensive.

Yeah I've got it worked out, they all have their function and I definitely still use them all on a regular basis if sparingly these days. As long as they still work and high-quality supplies are cheaply available I will continue to do so.

When I connected the XP computer to the 1210, Windows looked for a driver but didn't find any so I just grabbed the driver from the HP site. But I think you're right that Vista/7 does a better job at finding drivers because I used to have my Vista laptop hooked up to the 1210 and I think it was either located by Vista or was already part of the OS. I forgot to mention that someone gave me a Canon i70 recently for that Vista laptop (which went up to the bedroom), I have printers coming out of my ears!

It was a while ago but I think I was told by HP that they wrote that particular driver with Java functionality, and evidently Sun didn't approve or something so they couldn't update it for Service Pack 3. Or something like that, but if I pull that sucker out of storage I will try again.

A large format all-in-one with a backlit film carrier to replace everything but the answering machine (and the laser printer lol) would cost a lot of money that I would rather waste on invest in audio equipment.

May 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #3,999 of 10,933
Most of the entire 5 pages of this thread need to be moved. I thought there was just a bit more class in this forum for stuff like this to stay in it's proper place.

And again, another attempt to get this thread back on topic..

May 11, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4,000 of 10,933

Quote:
Just filling space while we wait for new photos...

Yeah I've got it worked out, they all have their function and I definitely still use them all on a regular basis if sparingly these days. As long as they still work and high-quality supplies are cheaply available I will continue to do so.

When I connected the XP computer to the 1210, Windows looked for a driver but didn't find any so I just grabbed the driver from the HP site. But I think you're right that Vista/7 does a better job at finding drivers because I used to have my Vista laptop hooked up to the 1210 and I think it was either located by Vista or was already part of the OS. I forgot to mention that someone gave me a Canon i70 recently for that Vista laptop (which went up to the bedroom), I have printers coming out of my ears!

It was a while ago but I think I was told by HP that they wrote that particular driver with Java functionality, and evidently Sun didn't approve or something so they couldn't update it for Service Pack 3. Or something like that, but if I pull that sucker out of storage I will try again.

A large format all-in-one with a backlit film carrier to replace everything but the answering machine (and the laser printer lol) would cost a lot of money that I would rather waste on invest in audio equipment.

Well, I do have a policy that getting drivers through Windows Update is plain wrong in every sense of the word. BUT... Vista and 7 actually grab manufacturer drivers and not just newer generic ones. Still, I only think drivers should be installed through Windows Update in specific cases like yours, that the driver is only available through Windows Update (Vista and 7 only, not XP), or in the event of certain components that usually only have OEM drivers that are often unavailable, even if they're modern parts.

Seriously, why so many printers? :) OMG, are you a... serial printer!?
eek.gif
*shivers*
biggrin.gif

Anyway, drop XP as soon as possible, that's a dead horse that's very unsecure to be nearby, 7 is the way to go.

And you could just get a dedicated printer, a dedicated scanner, and do the rest through the computer.

I'm sorry for the whole off topic thing, but like grokit said, it was only to fill in some space between photos.

May 12, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #4,002 of 10,933

Quote:
Just seen this thread and found an old picture on my phone of my current setup. Ignore the laptop sneaking in the top left of the photo, it's my work laptop and not a part of this setup. Also note the lack of monitor, I control the system with my iPad.

8 pages filled mostly, if not entirely, with an apple vs [I'm not even sure] flamefest. All because I use an iPad to control my music system?

I don't think there were any comments actually acknowledging/critiquing the setup. For anyone interested I've attempted a setup using iTunes, apple lossless audio codec, and wasapi to get bit perfect out to my DAC. I use apple's own remote app, it's very convenient.

Acer Revo -> iTunes -> Little Dot DAC_I -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD650

Also got some Grado SR80i's recently but not had much chance to play with them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back