Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Apr 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,755 of 10,933

Quote:
Ozone 4 might be overkill, but using the EQ module alone is lighter on resources and yields quite good results, not to mention it can be tons of fun to play with the presets (again, for fun, not for accurate listening) I just wonder if it has the most granular settings available on software EQs. I already use bs2b for crossfeed on foobar2000, but that's another thing I'm curious about, as I'm not aware of really high quality crossfeed VSTs out there.

Ozone is a pro audio mastering plugin, and it really isn't necessary for simple tasks like creating EQ curves for headphones/speakers. Just think about how much it costs. Why pay for a pro audio plug-in meant to be used in critical mastering situations when someone is just a hobbyist that listens to music and isn't doing serious audio production (but if you are, then that's a different story, since you'd be using the entire suite and often). Freeware parametric EQ's are perfectly fine and will do any job you throw at it. Parametric EQ's will allow you surgical precision, while linear-phase EQ's will give you the utmost transparency, but it's really geared towards critical mastering and not really necessary unless you EQ the hell out of something and screw up its phase. Graphic EQ's won't be as precise, so I never use them. You're right that presets are mostly useless for correcting headphones/speakers, because they weren't tailor-made for each specific model's sonic signature.

One of the better pro audio crossfeeds out there is Redline Monitor, but it pales next to the Isone Pro, since it is a simple crossfeed and does not do convincing room simulation, which is what Isone Pro does (and does it incredibly well). There's a very long thread about Isone Pro in the computer section here at head-fi.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3,756 of 10,933

Quote:
Ozone is a pro audio mastering plugin, and it really isn't necessary for simple tasks like creating EQ curves for headphones/speakers. Just think about how much it costs. Why pay for a pro audio plug-in meant to be used in critical mastering situations when someone is just a hobbyist that listens to music and isn't doing serious audio production (but if you are, then that's a different story, since you'd be using the entire suite and often). Freeware parametric EQ's are perfectly fine and will do any job you throw at it. Parametric EQ's will allow you surgical precision, while linear-phase EQ's will give you the utmost transparency, but it's really geared towards critical mastering and not really necessary unless you EQ the hell out of something and screw up its phase. Graphic EQ's won't be as precise, so I never use them. You're right that presets are mostly useless for correcting headphones/speakers, because they weren't tailor-made for each specific model's sonic signature.

One of the better pro audio crossfeeds out there is Redline Monitor, but it pales next to the Isone Pro, since it is a simple crossfeed and does not do convincing room simulation, which is what Isone Pro does (and does it incredibly well). There's a very long thread about Isone Pro in the computer section here at head-fi.

While I know that Ozone isn't meant to be used for its EQ alone, I only consider it since it does yield good results, perhaps due to its necessity of being accurate. But since you assured me that the digital EQs out there are more or less the same, I'll just continue going with Ozone, with the rest of the features being for seldom tasks.

I must say that I'm surprised, yet intrigued, about your opinion on Isone Pro, and will look into it as an alternative for bs2b. The thing is that by using headphones as my main rig, I won't need room simulation, but if Isone Pro does that in addition to a nice crossfeed, then it will certainly be of use.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #3,757 of 10,933

Quote:
The thing is that by using headphones as my main rig, I won't need room simulation, but if Isone Pro does that in addition to a nice crossfeed, then it will certainly be of use.

Actually, it's precisely because your main audio output device are headphones that you really need room simulation. Trust me, as soon as you try Isone Pro, you'll know what everyone is raving about. Headphones with crossfeed only give you bleeds into the other channel, but it still sounds like something playing far too close to your ears to truly have that dimensional sound that speakers give you. Isone Pro's room simulation isn't meant to simulate flawed rooms--it's meant to simulate the perfect room that's acoustically neutral. It also does HRTF (head and ear sizes) to match each person's physiology. You can also adjust the room size and speaker distance, as well as have a very nice range of speaker emulations, including professional monitoring speakers, flatscreen TV, laptop speakers, boomboxes, and even how the music sounds outside the room with the door closed (these were created for audio professionals to check their mixes in different types of rooms and on different types of playback devices). Isone Pro also has surround features.

In general, speakers in acoustically ideal rooms will always be much more dimensional than headphones, and Isone Pro turns your headphones into speakers, and for a very reasonable price.

Here's the thread, with lots of comments and people sharing their settings:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #3,758 of 10,933

Quote:
Actually, it's precisely because your main audio output device area headphones that you really need room simulation. Trust me, as soon as you try Isone Pro, you'll know what everyone is raving about. Headphones with crossfeed only give you bleeds into the other channel, but it still sounds like something playing far too close to your ears to truly have that dimensional sound that speakers give you. Isone Pro's room simulation isn't meant to simulate flawed rooms--it's meant to simulate the perfect room that's acoustically neutral. It also does HRTF (head and ear sizes) to match each person's physiology. You can also adjust the room size and speaker distance, as well as have a very nice range of speaker emulations, including professional monitoring speakers, flatscreen TV, laptop speakers, boomboxes, and even how the music sounds outside the room with the door closed (these were created for audio professionals to check their mixes in different types of rooms and on different types of playback devices). Isone Pro also has surround features.

Here's the thread, with lots of comments and people sharing their settings:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Me and reverb, reverb and me... have had some rough spots in the past, but honestly I think it was due to very low quality reverb gear. But I have to agree that sound isn't as spacious as it should. Wouldn't it be nice to have somewhat universal settings that when perfect with a music or genre, wouldn't butcher a different one?

Anyway, seems like I have a couple dozen pages to read. And thanks again Lunatique.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #3,759 of 10,933

Quote:
2regrko.jpg

wow.coollll

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3,760 of 10,933

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3,762 of 10,933
Mahesh, NICE! Lovely looking DAC. So the speakers are Adam S1X? I haven't seen an Adam speaker without the front switches and volume controls before. If I had I would've gotten those instead of the Behringers. Not saying I don't like mine, but still, Adam speakers look sort of good, if not for the ugly controls on the front.

Apr 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3,765 of 10,933
No..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back