Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3,469 of 10,932
Added a dedicated Winamp screen.

74688334268468379676.jpg

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #3,470 of 10,932

Quote:
Added a dedicated Winamp screen.

Is that a stand alone EQ you have on the bottom right of the right hand screen? If so please can let me know what it is.

If not, can anybody recommend a stand alone EQ for use on spotify please?

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #3,471 of 10,932
 ​
Quite proud of my setup, have some" steel series" and "sennheiser HD595" hiding away and not in the picture.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #3,472 of 10,932

Quote:
Is that a stand alone EQ you have on the bottom right of the right hand screen? If so please can let me know what it is.

If not, can anybody recommend a stand alone EQ for use on spotify please?

It's a professional VST EQ, Kjaerhus Classic. I switch between that one, PLParEQ, and Electri-Q, depending on what I need at the moment.

You can run any VST plugin system-wide on Windows, with tools like VSTHost and Virtual Audio Cable.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3,473 of 10,932

Quote:
It's a professional VST EQ, Kjaerhus Classic. I switch between that one, PLParEQ, and Electri-Q, depending on what I need at the moment.

You can run any VST plugin system-wide on Windows, with tools like VSTHost and Virtual Audio Cable.

Thanks for your speedy advice dfkt! I am going to investigate the Electri-Q as it seems to offer the sort of thing I'm after.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #3,475 of 10,932
I assume this was directed at me. I got the Tannoy's because, as he noticed in the review, there was so much more clarity and depth. I was comparing the KRK RP6G2 against these Tannoy's (i have the same model as the review I'm almost positive, too lazy to check :p) and the thing I noticed most was the highs. It sounded like there were no highs hardly at all in the KRKs, but they stood out equally as much as the bass with the Tannoy's, which amde a big difference. I just couldn't stand the highs on the KRKs and how terrible they were. I just couldn't hear them over the bass like I could with the Tannoy's with the same track same settings and everything. Plus, I got the Tannoy's on sale for $135 each so yeah I'm happy with my choice. Not the speakers fault, but the sound really sounds crappy when I crank em' up because I am using light phonebooks as stands and I have no amp - just 3.5mm headphone out of my mobo on my computer to unbalanced (the not XLR port). Oh yeah, any suggestions on an amp for these? There were some pads at $40/pair at Guitar Center  i will get. Also, what exactly is a DAC? I know Digital to Analog, but why convert a digital sound to analog? Wouldn't that just lose quality? I've never understood this.

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but here's a great video review comparing Tannoy Reveal 501a vs KRK RP5G2. He's coming from a professional recording perspective rather than "audiophile" speakers so your needs may be different from his. 

http://www.gearwire.com/tannoy-reveal501a-demo.html

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #3,476 of 10,932
Thank You.

I really like Ambient, Minimal Tech, Dub, most electronic of some description.

I put my mixes up on soundcloud sometimes....

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Have a peek if your interested in that type of stuff?

Mostly chilled ambience for really mellowing out to in the vein of the Orb, Eno, although Fuzzy Peachy is fairly pumping!

L3000.gif

would you mind re-linking sound cloud? Interested to hear some of the artists you listed :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #3,477 of 10,932
Being a student is bliss, it just means my wallet can't be any emptier than it is whilst I'm here :)

Suppose I better tell you what lies in the picture

Sound:

Speakers - Monitor Audio Bronze BR1
Speaker Stands - Old P.A Speakers
Amplifier - Yamaha DSP-A595
Headphones - Sennheiser HD201

Computer:

Athlon 64 3200+
1.5GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive
8600GT
LG 42" 1080p LCD

hehe, not as clean as some, function though :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #3,478 of 10,932
Quote:
Are those Dynaudio drivers in the Totem speakers?

I've heard that Totem originally used Dynaudio drivers but switched to other manufactures awhile ago. The only info I found regarding the drivers is from a 2001 Stereophile review, not sure if this applies to new models.

"The Forest is a two-way, floorstanding tower loudspeaker with two drive-units—a 1" SEAS aluminum-dome tweeter and, below that, an Acoustic Technology International (ATI) 6.5" midrange/bass driver"

As for the sound, I would describe the Forest speakers as warm with a slight midrange emphasis. The highs are clean and smooth without being harsh and some may consider it rolled off. Overall I am very happy with the speakers. I had a pair of ProAc Reference 8 Signatures prior to the Totems and I miss them at times but they were too small for my room and didn't play well with heavy bass music. At some point I will probably go back to ProAc when I can afford a pair of towers.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #3,479 of 10,932

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3,480 of 10,932

would you mind re-linking sound cloud? Interested to hear some of the artists you listed
smily_headphones1.gif

here you go sect....

http://soundcloud.com/doublevision-1

hope you might enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back