Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 23, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #10,036 of 10,930

I may have a cable management issue.

I love to hear suggestions on how I could improve things.

wink.gif

May 23, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #10,037 of 10,930
I love to hear suggestions on how I could improve things.

If the wires are long enough put them up under the desk with a signum or some zip ties like I said in a earlier post.
http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052006
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30200253/

May 24, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #10,040 of 10,930
1) Room Treatment

2) Cable management - reusable material like Velcro lets you experiment and move around equipment with ease. Also, don't bunch the power cables with the audio cables. Running them parallel is not good.

May 24, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #10,041 of 10,930
I havent seen anyone use an Ikea Signum with a glass desk yet so I will show you guys how I attached them to my desk.

First I went to Lowes (any hardware store should have this stuff) and bought some #10 and #8 screws with nuts, and some galvanized metal hanging tape for plumbing pipes. I used the metal tape to create a structure to bolt the Signum to under the desk. I ran lengths of the tape around and between the glass supports under the desk and used the #10 screws to secure them in place using the existing holes for the keyboard tray that I dont use. If you dont have holes already in place you could use self tapping screws or drill an appropriate sized hole for a #10 screw. I used the #8 screws to mount the signums hanging brackets to the metal tape. You cant see the Signums from anywhere in the room unless you crouch down.

Here are a few pics to help illustrate how it is set up.

Sagging a bit under the weight of all my Schiit power supplies lol 

May 24, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #10,042 of 10,930
  1) Room Treatment

2) Cable management - reusable material like Velcro lets you experiment and move around equipment with ease. Also, don't bunch the power cables with the audio cables. Running them parallel is not good.

I buy zipties in packs of 1000 for about 5 bucks, it's easy to clip it with a small pair of sidecuts if it doesn't look right. They hold tight, and they're 4mm which makes them barely noticeable.

May 27, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #10,044 of 10,930

May 27, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #10,045 of 10,930
  I havent seen anyone use an Ikea Signum with a glass desk yet so I will show you guys how I attached them to my desk.

First I went to Lowes (any hardware store should have this stuff) and bought some #10 and #8 screws with nuts, and some galvanized metal hanging tape for plumbing pipes. I used the metal tape to create a structure to bolt the Signum to under the desk. I ran lengths of the tape around and between the glass supports under the desk and used the #10 screws to secure them in place using the existing holes for the keyboard tray that I dont use. If you dont have holes already in place you could use self tapping screws or drill an appropriate sized hole for a #10 screw. I used the #8 screws to mount the signums hanging brackets to the metal tape. You cant see the Signums from anywhere in the room unless you crouch down.

Here are a few pics to help illustrate how it is set up.

Sagging a bit under the weight of all my Schiit power supplies lol 

Sweet idea.

Is that a Zalman cooler I spy? Don't see many of those anymore.

May 28, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #10,046 of 10,930
  Sweet idea.

Is that a Zalman cooler I spy? Don't see many of those anymore.

Oh yeah! It's a great cooler. I've had the same cooler and CPU since 2010. I've been running the i7 2600k oc'd on air cooling at 4.2ghz (stock 3.3) without  hitches for the past 6 years.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #10,048 of 10,930
Yet another update- Tannoy Saturn S6LCR bookshelves as monitors, along with a pair of Murano Audio P200S class-D monoblocks (fully balanced, based on Bang and Olufsen IcePower modules). Cardas Clear speaker cables. Well, at the moment I'm demo'ing the larger Murano Audio P500S (250w into 8ohm instead of 100w into 8ohm), and just for the halibut a pair of Pangea AC-9 power cables (I know, I know, but hey the opportunity was there). Basically, this system is super neutral and accurate but still (IMO) very fun to listen to. The bookshelves go quite deep for their size, and with no distortion or wooliness! DAC is the same Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (I think I already shared this?) and the headphones are the Fidelio L2.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #10,050 of 10,930
Here’s what my system looks and how it works at the current time:

That’s the view behind me when I’m sitting at my desk downstairs in my former office. The poster on the wall says something like ”One can renounce a lot of things in life, but not cats and literature“.

Apple MacBook Pro with 13 inch screen and 1 TB internal harddrive, the central source for our music. The audio files are in ALAC format, iTunes is used as the playback software.

Schiit Modi Uber DAC with optical connection to the MacBook, on the right hand an Apple Airport Extreme base station, establishing the WLAN for the flat. Below a few obsolete audio CDs, which are not used for playback anymore. Once they’re ripped to lossless audio they collect dust or are distributed to relatives, friends, libraries and other folks who might have a use for them.

Tivoli Audio Model One, AKG K712 headphones for use in my desktop system.

Front view at my desk. KRK Rokit active studio monitors, Apple iMac 27 inch, Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp/preamp, Schiit Bifrost DAC. Located below the desk is a Yamaha EQ-550 graphic equalizer, the KRK S-10 subwoofer is placed at the left side behind me. All connections between computers, Airport Express stations and DACs are optical S/PDIF TosLink, I don’t use USB or coaxial connections for audio.

Right next to my office on the same floor: My place for headphone listening. SPL Phonitor 2 headamp/preamp, Schiit Bifrost DAC, Beyerdynamic T 1 headphones, yet another Tivoli Audio Model One for optional “out of the head” mono listening. An ancient Sansui SE-7 graphic equalizer is placed below, music is received wirelessly via an Apple Airport Express. Not in the picture, nevertheless very important: A comfortable Ikea ”Poäng“ chair. 

In a corner of the living room upstairs: Tivoli Audio Model One, Schiit Bifrost DAC, Apple Airport Express.

This is my Apple iPad Air with an optional Logitech keyboard cover attached to it. The MacBook Pro “music server” downstairs in my office is remotely controlled via Apple’s “Remote” software available for iPads and iPhones.

The TV console in the living room. A second pair of KRK Rokit active monitors, Schiit Modi Uber DAC, Apple Airport Express, Toshiba TV, Apple Airport Extreme base station to extend the WLAN upstairs. Below the TV: Pro-Ject tuner and preamp, Western Digital media player with two USB harddrives attached, Edision satellite receiver. The Pro-Ject boxes are used for FM radio, wireless music streaming and to control the sound volume from the TV to the active monitors. A TosLink splitter at the back of the TV is used to connect both the TV and the Airport Express to the Schiit DAC. Sat receiver, media player and TV are connected via HDMI.

There’s no CD player and no DVD/Blu-Ray player anymore in our setup. Once the content has been ripped from optical media, it is stored on harddisks. In my opinion listening to music and viewing movies never has been more comfortable. I don’t see a need for surround setups, and I prefer the analytical and clear sound of active studio monitors.

Werner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back