Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 12, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #10,022 of 10,932
  APC simulated/stepped sinewave, yes. Cyberpower pure sine wave, absolutely not. Tried and tested by yours truly.

Yes to apc is worse or pfc is worse? Or both are just bad?

May 12, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #10,023 of 10,932
  Yes to apc is worse or pfc is worse? Or both are just bad?

Well, for starters, my old APC already ruined 3 active PFC PSUs. Secondly, it makes my USB powered DAC sound like s**t.

The Cyberpower I'm using now does not exhibit any of these issues. I hear no sound quality difference with or without it. I even have both my amp and powered subwoofer hooked up to it.

May 12, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #10,024 of 10,932
  Well, for starters, my old APC already ruined 3 active PFC PSUs. Secondly, it makes my USB powered DAC sound like s**t.

The Cyberpower I'm using now does not exhibit any of these issues. I hear no sound quality difference with or without it. I even have both my amp and powered subwoofer hooked up to it.

Ah ok, I thought as much since I have a ax760 PSU that's PFC I made sure to get a PFC ups as I heard it cleaned dirty power and did not fry my PSU type. I also have not noticed any change in quality but what I have noticed is I'm glad I got it as my power does fluctuate a little bit when the AC is on in my room and I have client data on my machine at times that I don't want any hard crashes.

May 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #10,025 of 10,932
They add loads of thd. Get an oscilloscope and look for your self.that's the whole reason people get power regenerators. I even had one but my thd in my house was remarkably low already so I sold it.

May 12, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #10,026 of 10,932
I guess it has been a while since my last update, new house, new studio, new computer setups:

Main and mastering PC setup, recliner with wireless keyboard/mouse.  Lights usually dimmed much more, turned up for picture.  Audio chain is
Sources: i7-4790K, 32G, 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo SSD (Dual boot Win 10/Wavelab 9/Presonus Studio 192 or Fedora 25 beta/various apps), Bluesound Node, Raspberry Pi 3/hifiberry digi+/softsqueeze, Pro-ject RPM 5.1SE, Oppo 103d
Preamp/Headphone Amp: McIntosh C47
Amp: McIntosh MC452
Speakers: Focal Sopra no 2
Sub: REL S5/SHO
Headphones: AKG Q701

Desktop/compose PC is actually 2 separate PCs, both monitors/keyboard/mouse switch between them.  Audio setup is:
Sources: Windows 10/Cubase PC (i7-6700K, 64G DDR4, 3 x 1TB Evo 850 SSD, 1 3TB spinning disk, Steinberg UR28M), Fedora 24 PC (intel i5, 32GB DDR3, 2 x 1TB Evo 840 SSD), Raspberry Pi 2/Dragonfly 1.2/Softsqueeze
Preamp/Headphone Amp: Oppo HA-1
Amp: Rotel RB-1080
Speakers: B&W N805
Sub: REL S2
Headphones: AKG K701 

All of this is in 1 room, with the room fully treated with GIK bass traps, wall panels, cloud.

May 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #10,027 of 10,932
Here is my re-done setup.  Got a new computer desk and a new shelf.  The basic idea was to finally separate my audio equipment from the PC area.  So, I went for a super clean look over on the PC side, and put my audio rack on the other side of room, connected to the PC via an optical USB cable.  

No speakers at this time... just pure head-fi... Hifiman HE-560 via an iFi Micro iDSD and a Icon Audio Stereo 20PP amp.  Oh, and a REGA RP3 turntable...

I don't use the headphone output of the Icon Audio amp.  It is too weak for the Hifiman.  So I built a custom headphone adapter/resistor network using Vishay Mills resistors to attenuate the amp gain by around 12 db, and provide a constant 8 ohm load on the amp's output transformers.  

Works EXTREMELY well.  Sounds sublime!

May 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #10,028 of 10,932
  APC simulated/stepped sinewave, yes. Cyberpower pure sine wave, absolutely not. Tried and tested by yours truly.

Only APC's Back-UPS series use a stepped/approximated sinewave, their enterprise and professional class UPS systems are all pure sinewave. Cyberpower has several cheaper units that use stepped as well, it's very common on a cheap UPS.

A good UPS (pure sinewave) will not have any negative impact on the audio coming out of your computer, and furthermore if you have an SSD in your computer you should own a UPS, or you're gambling with your data. Sudden power failure is a big concern with these drives and will cause data loss 9 times out of 10.

May 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #10,029 of 10,932

Only APC's Back-UPS series use a stepped/approximated sinewave, their enterprise and professional class UPS systems are all pure sinewave. Cyberpower has several cheaper units that use stepped as well, it's very common on a cheap UPS.

A good UPS (pure sinewave) will not have any negative impact on the audio coming out of your computer, and furthermore if you have an SSD in your computer you should own a UPS, or you're gambling with your data. Sudden power failure is a big concern with these drives and will cause data loss 9 times out of 10.

Yeah a good demo of this is how Dmitry killed his array lol. 

May 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #10,030 of 10,932

May 18, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #10,032 of 10,932
Nice desk, like the staining.

Thanks!  It was a project for me and the wife last summer.  She has an identical desk on the other side of the office, but with a much different setup.  We got them from a place in North Carolina that sells solid wood furniture unfinished for cheaper that you can buy some MDF crap at a big box store, so some sand paper and a few cans of stain later and we had awesome solid desks.

May 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #10,033 of 10,932

I won't lose data. I have 2 ssd one I connect once a month to clone my OS. And all of my other storage is on my raid6 8×1.5TB hdd storage server which is in a different room and on a ups. Noise from battery backup and the horrible amount of electrical noise from all 8 Hdd is the whole reason I did it in the first place. Made a huge difference.

May 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #10,034 of 10,932
I won't lose data. I have 2 ssd one I connect once a month to clone my OS. And all of my other storage is on my raid6 8×1.5TB hdd storage server which is in a different room and on a ups. Noise from battery backup and the horrible amount of electrical noise from all 8 Hdd is the whole reason I did it in the first place. Made a huge difference.

Sounds like a nice setup. I do a lot of work from home and can't afford to lose any data just because of a small brownout, and a good UPS shouldn't introduce any noise into your computer system. What make/model did you have?

May 22, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #10,035 of 10,932

Sit/stand desk with A/V workstation on the left, productivity workstation on the right, and tentacles. I may have a cable management issue.

There is such a thing as speakers too large for a room. Doh!

What is behind the curtain?

My open source virtual data center cluster where I build services including audio and video processing, streaming, and general virtual machine storage and compute. It's a hobby.

I love to hear suggestions on how I could improve things. Major limiting factor is the room is only 11 x 12 x 8. Too damn small, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back