Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Apr 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #9,031 of 10,932
  Was it meant for browsing 4chan? 
tongue.gif

Well /g/ is technology and since i study computer science i think it's justifiable enough. 
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #9,032 of 10,932
I find Windows 8.1 Start Screen much better than the old school Start Menu. Only the stuff I want there is there and categorised nicely. Takes a week or two to get used to. Then, also remember about Update 1 that gives you power option in Start Screen. Set you 8.1 to boot straight into Desktop mode and you will forget about classic Start Menu in a few days.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #9,033 of 10,932
I find Windows 8.1 Start Screen much better than the old school Start Menu. Only the stuff I want there is there and categorised nicely. Takes a week or two to get used to. Then, also remember about Update 1 that gives you power option in Start Screen. Set you 8.1 to boot straight into Desktop mode and you will forget about classic Start Menu in a few days.

My thoughts exactly. I skipped Windows 7 and updated from Vista straight to Windows 8.1. No regrets.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #9,034 of 10,932
I will probably never switch from Win 7 to Windows 8.  While I don't hate Windows 8 like some people do.  I can't find a single reason to switch.  Windows 7 is pretty perfect, and all windows 8 does is annoy me sometimes.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #9,036 of 10,932
  This is my workstation at school, works well for what it's meant for.

Which Thinkpad is that? I picked up a T410s for a hundred bucks a couple weeks ago. Didn't realize until I got it home that it had an SSD 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #9,037 of 10,932

Which Thinkpad is that? I picked up a T410s for a hundred bucks a couple weeks ago. Didn't realize until I got it home that it had an SSD 
biggrin.gif

That is a T61, running it with a 120GB 840 EVO for the boot drive and then an old 40GB mechanical in the ultrabay for testing and for general scratch. I get about 4 hours of battery with the stock 9cell, pretty okay for a laptop from 2007. Thinking about adding some RAM and maybe getting a new CPU.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #9,038 of 10,932
  I will probably never switch from Win 7 to Windows 8.  While I don't hate Windows 8 like some people do.  I can't find a single reason to switch.  Windows 7 is pretty perfect, and all windows 8 does is annoy me sometimes.

Thought the same until I used it for a while. Whoever says 8 is not better than 7 has not read about the new features in 8. Just look at SSD and USB 3.0 support and you will know why it is better.

Many games and drivers do not work on Windows 8 as well. It really is just kind of a headache for no substantial benefit.

I have a laptop (Sony and they have loads of problems with drivers usually) and a PC I put together. Neither have ANY problems with drivers. Are you sure you are not talking about driver problems for some devices from 15 years ago?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #9,039 of 10,932
Most driver issues have nothing to do with the windows operating system. I'm a computer tech and most of the issue are x86 vs x64 based. When people update to newer computers they tend to blame it on the OS and not cpu structure.  There is an exception if a company uses terrible programmers and programs drivers specifically for an OS. This would be like a pants company only making 1 size of pants and saying hey world you need to lose weight to fit into our 1 size. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #9,041 of 10,932
Quote:

Need some sort of speaker stand for my airmotiv 5s, any recommendations?

Lovely setup, bjonbjonbjon! Any chance for some more pics of it? I really do like it a lot! :)

Also, Emotiva Pro's website has the ASM base that might serve you best → http://www.emotivapro.com/products/asm-base

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #9,042 of 10,932
  Quote:
Lovely setup, bjonbjonbjon! Any chance for some more pics of it? I really do like it a lot! :)

Also, Emotiva Pro's website has the ASM base that might serve you best → http://www.emotivapro.com/products/asm-base

I'll take a picture when I get back home later, yeah I should have bought that stand along with my speakers at that point of time. It's the airmotiv 5 instead of the 5s btw, sorry for the typo.

May 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #9,043 of 10,932
  Most driver issues have nothing to do with the windows operating system. I'm a computer tech and most of the issue are x86 vs x64 based. When people update to newer computers they tend to blame it on the OS and not cpu structure.  There is an exception if a company uses terrible programmers and programs drivers specifically for an OS. This would be like a pants company only making 1 size of pants and saying hey world you need to lose weight to fit into our 1 size. 

The only driver issues I remember hearing much about were unsigned drivers.

-------------------------------------------------------

Edit:Apologies for the rant, got a pinch hyped up.

I am curious as to how many of those who like it have had to pay full price or at least "system builder OEM" price(from newegg or the like) for 8.  I haven't used it beyond on my father's PC which came with it, and in VM's.  And even though I could get it for free through my college, I honestly don't plan to install it on my PC.  At least not until they release the update teased at //Build, the one with a true(imo) desktop start menu.  And if I had to pay for it I'd surely wait for 9(or whatever they might call it).  I mean if the updates they've made say anything, it's that there are still plenty of desktop users out there that find many of the new additions pointless...as in for a regular desktop or even laptop user a GUI that was born from a mobile touch interface doesn't really belong.

Not sure what was meant by USB3.0 improvements, but that's hardly a pro beyond for external storage.  I can easily run 5 VM's on an 840 evo through a USB3.0 case on windows 7, something that would be stupid painful on a regular USB2 drive.  Beyond storage, I don't know of many if anything common that uses USB3.0...maybe wireless cards.

Going through IT courses, I've only heard one person say they liked Windows 8, that was a teacher, and I'm pretty sure that was because he was using it on a tablet with a keyboard dock.  Another student said specifically "you have to force yourself to use it" to learn it, using the word force as in no one there wanted to use it. /rant  Sorry for continuing the somewhat off topic subject.

Edit: This all said, I could figure out windows 8 fairly well if I had to(force myself to).  That's not to say it wouldn't be an obnoxious process.  I would however not want to deal with support for it on a daily basis(helpdesk type support) as much of it isn't intuitive, and therefore difficult for the average joe who won't google it.

May 7, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #9,045 of 10,932
Hi.. good day.. may i ask what do u do with multiple monitors.. iv used one for a while and it serves my purpose well.. im not saying having multiple is not as good.. just wondering how i can optimize either working on it or for personal use.. is it that messaging programs will be on another monitor while browsing on the next..? I tried having two lately and it was great.. but its because i hooked up an extension to an actual led tv deom sony which was 40".. that was great because i watch movies a lot and shows so i just play it on the big screen while im working on my primary computer screen.. but i dont get having multiple small screens.. thanks.. hope i didnt offend anyone with multiple screens i just wanted to know how to use it should i get into that configuration. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back