Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jul 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #7,246 of 10,933
Quote:
Pretty new setup for me here

The monitor on the receiver is used exclusively for music whether it be MOG or foobar or whatever. Much easier than switching between windows!

How are those Polks treating ya?
wink_face.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #7,247 of 10,933
Quote:
How are those Polks treating ya?
wink_face.gif

I really like them! For their price, it would be hard to beat in my mind.

Very clear and the highs are crisp but not ear stabbing either. They handle bass pretty well but I let my sub take over @60Hz
biggrin.gif

They also look nice so that's a plus!

They definitely sound best when they're at ear level, mostly because of the less than ideal acoustics in my room, but I'm sitting at my desk most of the time anyways so it works out well.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7,248 of 10,933
Quote:

I really like them! For their price, it would be hard to beat in my mind.

Very clear and the highs are crisp but not ear stabbing either. They handle bass pretty well but I let my sub take over @60Hz
biggrin.gif

They also look nice so that's a plus!

They definitely sound best when they're at ear level, mostly because of the less than ideal acoustics in my room, but I'm sitting at my desk most of the time anyways so it works out well.

How are the mids on them?  They do look nice!

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #7,249 of 10,933
Quote:
Okay guys, choose me a case for my next build. Gotta be minimalistic. The Bitfenix Prodigy looked good, but mini-ITX boards aren't going to work for me. I'm looking at anything good in the $150 mark, though I prefer something better for sound. The Fractal R4 looks promising, because I love the R3. I could also go crazy and get a Corsair 650D or 700D, and do water cooling, but I prefer the safety of fans.

What will be going into the rig exactly?  Will you be overclocking said hardware?  Just a budget and minimalistic isn't enough to pick a case in that price range :)  There are a LOT of cases out there, don't just look at the old standbys that everyone else uses.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #7,250 of 10,933
Quote:
How are the mids on them?  They do look nice!

The mids are very clear as well. Some say these speakers are on the "bright sounding" side but they are very warm sounding to me. They also have a big sound to them.  I've actually noticed more in my music with these speakers than I have with my HFi-780's.
eek.gif
(I wasn't expecting this so it was a nice surprise)

Remember that I've tuned my receiver to make these sound the best for my room and I also have a subwoofer in play too. Depending on room acoustics and other things, I would imagine they will sound a bit different. But yeah, mids are clear and quite transparent. Overall a great sounding speaker pair for under $120!

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7,251 of 10,933
Jul 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #7,252 of 10,933
Quote:
The mids are very clear as well. Some say these speakers are on the "bright sounding" side but they are very warm sounding to me. They also have a big sound to them.  I've actually noticed more in my music with these speakers than I have with my HFi-780's.
eek.gif
(I wasn't expecting this so it was a nice surprise)

Remember that I've tuned my receiver to make these sound the best for my room and I also have a subwoofer in play too. Depending on room acoustics and other things, I would imagine they will sound a bit different. But yeah, mids are clear and quite transparent. Overall a great sounding speaker pair for under $120!

Nice, been wanting a decent living room music setup, so I think I might just grab these.  :D
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply but yes, it is a calendar.

Lol, it's cool.  Sorry for the weird question, its just I like it! :)

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #7,253 of 10,933
Quote:
Okay guys, choose me a case for my next build. Gotta be minimalistic. The Bitfenix Prodigy looked good, but mini-ITX boards aren't going to work for me. I'm looking at anything good in the [size=inherit]121.78€[/size] mark, though I prefer something better for sound. The Fractal R4 looks promising, because I love the R3. I could also go crazy and get a Corsair 650D or 700D, and do water cooling, but I prefer the safety of fans.

Lian Li makes some sexy, minimalistic cases and are so god damn well made compared to alternatives at same price.
Can't go wrong with Corsair, I have the 800D myself and f*ing love it!

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #7,254 of 10,933
Quote:
Okay guys, choose me a case for my next build. Gotta be minimalistic. The Bitfenix Prodigy looked good, but mini-ITX boards aren't going to work for me. I'm looking at anything good in the $150 mark, though I prefer something better for sound. The Fractal R4 looks promising, because I love the R3. I could also go crazy and get a Corsair 650D or 700D, and do water cooling, but I prefer the safety of fans.

Get the Prodigy, if you arent going to be doing anything that requires a graphics card (gaming or video rendering). Anything else can be handled by Intel HD4000 graphics. If you need a graphics card, go with the Fractal or a 550D. The 650D doesn't have any airflow, and water-cooling in a midtower is stupid imo. 700D isn't being produced anymore, you have to buy a 800D then buy a side panel without a window. You do realize water cooling has fans right? Water-cooling and Air-cooling almost work the exact same way, except watercooling uses water to move heat instead of heatpipes, then uses a radiator instead of a heat-sink to dissipate the heat, you still use fans. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #7,256 of 10,933
Found a Kenwood VR 6050 in the parking garage today near-ish to the dumpster. Figured I'd bring it home to see what's wrong with it. To my amazment, nothing. So far. Cosmetically, it's in perfect shape. I'm going to pick up a coaxial cable this weekend to go from my uDAC to it, and then use the 6050 as my headphone amp. I know, i know, the M50s don't really need one, but hell, it was free.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #7,257 of 10,933

Get the Prodigy, if you arent going to be doing anything that requires a graphics card (gaming or video rendering). Anything else can be handled by Intel HD4000 graphics. If you need a graphics card, go with the Fractal or a 550D. The 650D doesn't have any airflow, and water-cooling in a midtower is stupid imo. 700D isn't being produced anymore, you have to buy a 800D then buy a side panel without a window. You do realize water cooling has fans right? Water-cooling and Air-cooling almost work the exact same way, except watercooling uses water to move heat instead of heatpipes, then uses a radiator instead of a heat-sink to dissipate the heat, you still use fans. 

I will need a graphics card sadly. And water coolers will brick your system if the water cooler breaks. Heatsinks don't break.

Trying to decide if a Fractal R4 is worth it. I kind of want too much, I feel like. Quiet. Cool. Powerful. Portable. I'll be choosing components to fit those when I buy, but I want to focus on the case for now.

Are there any recommendations for fans? I have a couple of Scythe 1200RPM SlipStreams on my Fractal now. Don't know if there's anything better since I'll probably replace all the stocks. I hate reviews

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #7,260 of 10,933
Wow that is incredible!  Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back