Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Sep 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #5,311 of 10,933
That's the NEW Sony MDR-ZX1000.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #5,312 of 10,933
From a UI perspective I never got vertical touch-screens. Price isn't the reason they're not catching on. There's actually a phenomena called "gorilla arm" in the UI community that is the result of regularly using a vertical touch interface. Basically, your forearms get massive. Horizontal touch interfaces are another story all together. It's why devices like the iPad, iPhone and other more portable touch interfaces are so popular. Also kind of why I want one... OK, not kind of. I REALLY want an iPad.

But yes, for $300 you could get an IPS display which would likely be a big step forward. They're brighter and have better color which helps.
My iMac doesn't do too bad on the reflections unless there's some really, really strong light going on. But in my experience, in those situations a matte display doesn't always fair much better. The only solution that would really work is an eInk display, which would be rubbish for general computing. For now, at least.

From my experience the gorilla arm isn't that bad at all. If you take on the right posture, and don't spend hours doing it you don't notice it at all. But then again, my mouse/keyboard are still by far my main input devices. I only use the touchscreen a couple times a day, really.

I was thinking of getting the Dell U2311H, which will require me to pay only a couple extra bucks if I can sell the touchscreen for a good amount of money. I hope to get something around $250, which is $100 below current price. I'm not very good with selling stuff second hand, so do you think that's a good price? Or should I higher it and accept lower bids?

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #5,313 of 10,933

Quote:
Thanks! IKEA desk (Cant remember the model name on top of my head) and the monitors are Dell u2410.

That's definitely a Galant with "half-round" extensions (start at page 3)
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5,314 of 10,933
Go on eBay and see what other people are selling theirs for, or check around the web. if something is in good condition you can usually sell it for closer to the original price. I usually expect at least 20% less if it's used, but that's me. Figure out what you think a fair asking price is, put that as your buy it now and then toss it on eBay, see what happens. I think you always have the option of saying no.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #5,315 of 10,933

Quote:
Got a new desk, so I finally have space for a third monitor.

I just need to, y'know, get a third monitor... (been eying an HP 16:10 S-IPS monitor, it's horrendously tempting.)

Obviously, I'd move the laptop and the game consoles off the desk if/when I get a third monitor...

I also need a dedicated desktop source. Been looking at Yulong's D100 for a while now.

Guhhhhh I need all of the monies. Like, immediately. ASAP. Posthaste. And so on, so forth, etc., etc.

-- Griffinhart

Griffinhart check out a program called Display Fusion . It lets you get wallpapers 3840x1080 to spread the one pic over your 2 screens! Free version is good.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #5,316 of 10,933

Quote:
Griffinhart check out a program called Display Fusion . It lets you get wallpapers 3840x1080 to spread the one pic over your 2 screens! Free version is good.

Its a great tool. I actually bought it because its such a great tool. because I bought it, several times when I gave a suggestion for the program he implemented my idea by the next update. Same goes with my friend who also bought it.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #5,318 of 10,933

Quote:
Its a great tool. I actually bought it because its such a great tool. because I bought it, several times when I gave a suggestion for the program he implemented my idea by the next update. Same goes with my friend who also bought it.

yeah i bought it as well. its tops. but just for backgrounds the free one will do the trick.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #5,319 of 10,933
In Windows, if you have two or more monitors with the same resolution, figure out what the full resolution would be, find an image that can fill that much space, then set your wallpaper to "tile". It'll go across all the screens.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #5,320 of 10,933
In XP go to display->desktop->customize desktop->web->new->browse for the file on your computer, then OK everything, it places it on the desktop, you stretch it across both screens, then go back in and click "lock desktop". Done.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #5,322 of 10,933
In XP go to display->desktop->customize desktop->web->new->browse for the file on your computer, then OK everything, it places it on the desktop, you stretch it across both screens, then go back in and click "lock desktop". Done.

I personally use ultramon. Has some other cool features as well.
The only thing it apparently can't do is cycle wallpapers (e.g. wallpaper changes every day, or every startup).

Does anyone know a good multi monitor wallpaper tool that can also cycle wallpapers?

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #5,323 of 10,933

Quote:
I personally use ultramon. Has some other cool features as well.
The only thing it apparently can't do is cycle wallpapers (e.g. wallpaper changes every day, or every startup).

Does anyone know a good multi monitor wallpaper tool that can also cycle wallpapers?

I originally used ultramon. Now I moved to Displayfusion.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #5,324 of 10,933

Quote:

Problem: None of the images that I already have are at 3840x1080; and if I ever add a third monitor, it'll be in 16:10 (most likely 1920x1200), which means that not all of my monitors will have the same resolution.

And finally, I can already do EyeFinity since I'm using an ATI video card. So... thanks, but no thanks. vOv

-- Griffinhart

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #5,325 of 10,933

Users who are viewing this thread

Back