Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jul 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4,651 of 10,933

Quote:

But yeah... Any Grade-A browser is alright by me in terms of what people use. It's just the people in IE6 and IE7 whom I want to hunt down and hit them with sticks all the while crying and screaming, "Why do you hate the internet so much!?"

Dramatic? Yes. True? Definitely.

Thanks for making me laugh. I needed that 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #4,653 of 10,933

Quote:
Firefox 5 seems to be a big improvement.

Indeed. The problem is Firefox made a career out of being "The other browser". However, Chrome is doing it a lot better than they are in just about every way. Plus, where Firefox is only backed by Mozilla, Chrome is backed by the might of Google, the second largest tech company in the world. I think they're still second. I think Apple is technically the largest now with Google and then Microsoft behind.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4,654 of 10,933

Quote:
Firefox 5 seems to be a big improvement.

Indeed. The problem is Firefox made a career out of being "The other browser". However, Chrome is doing it a lot better than they are in just about every way. Plus, where Firefox is only backed by Mozilla, Chrome is backed by the might of Google, the second largest tech company in the world. I think they're still second. I think Apple is technically the largest now with Google and then Microsoft behind.

Quote:
Thanks for making me laugh. I needed that 
biggrin.gif

I do what I can. :D

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #4,655 of 10,933

Quote:

I do what I can. :D

I like Opera better than Chrome. But I like how the top of Chrome looks compared to Opera. Opera still functions better in my opinion, even if Chrome is slightly faster on load up. However, the integrated IRC and bookmarks bar on the left really makes Opera work better for me. And Firefox blatantly rips off Opera design anyways. We should really get back to pictures, but I suppose once everyone has posted pictures there's really nothing else left to do... hehe.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #4,657 of 10,933

Quote:
I like Opera better than Chrome. But I like how the top of Chrome looks compared to Opera. Opera still functions better in my opinion, even if Chrome is slightly faster on load up. However, the integrated IRC and bookmarks bar on the left really makes Opera work better for me. And Firefox blatantly rips off Opera design anyways. We should really get back to pictures, but I suppose once everyone has posted pictures there's really nothing else left to do... hehe.

Eh... I have a love-hate relationship with Opera. They are great in so many ways but they are almost as bad as Microsoft when it comes to implementing new standards. It took them forever to implement rounded corners from CSS3, well after everyone else had them. I always kind of look at Opera as the "bespoke" browser. Though, one reason I'll never use it is because I don't know a single developer or designer who goes out of their way to test it.

Quote:
I'm using SRWare Iron browser - functions nicely.

So... Google Chrome for the paranoid, essentially. Which is actually really saying something.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #4,658 of 10,933

Quote:

Used Opera for the longest time. I honestly cant remember the reason I switched. Might have been website compatibility issues. That and I like Chrome's DL manager more. Opera's smooth-scrolling looks awesome in 120hz. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #4,659 of 10,933

Quote:

Used Opera for the longest time. I honestly cant remember the reason I switched. Might have been website compatibility issues. That and I like Chrome's DL manager more. Opera's smooth-scrolling looks awesome in 120hz. 

Complete opposite here. I hate how Chrome handles downloading. I still hated the website compatibility issues until I discovered Identify as Firefox. Also, the automatic Fit to Width is annoying, so I had a button added to the taskbar. It also has a permanent Page Search bar, as well as Disable Images bar. Very convenient. But Fit to Width really helps when people post absurdly large images that break the page, so I can resize them and look at them without opening them again. However, now I don't notice either. Chrome's downloading still pains me. Now back to look for another Opera theme to use. 

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4,660 of 10,933
I love Chrome, but the lightweightedness makes it not work out so well for me. I like to keep 30-50 tabs open sometimes, and even with 8GB RAM and 4 in my laptop it still crashes a bit more often than I'd like. When I  need to restart my computer, it can't save those tabs either. That's why I like Firefox, and now Firefox is just as fast. I still haven't left Chrome because I'm too lazy to download Firefox 5 and I love the omnibar. My 2 cents.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4,661 of 10,933

Quote:

Complete opposite here. I hate how Chrome handles downloading. I still hated the website compatibility issues until I discovered Identify as Firefox. Also, the automatic Fit to Width is annoying, so I had a button added to the taskbar. It also has a permanent Page Search bar, as well as Disable Images bar. Very convenient. But Fit to Width really helps when people post absurdly large images that break the page, so I can resize them and look at them without opening them again. However, now I don't notice either. Chrome's downloading still pains me. Now back to look for another Opera theme to use. 

Never have the resize issue, or the forum issue, but I know that depends on your screen size. I personally like seeing all my downloads at the bottom of my window. Again with a smaller screen I can see that getting congested. 

^ Edit: 30-50 tabs ummm LOL...

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #4,662 of 10,933
And to bring us back on topic, here is my home stereo rig. Polk Audio Monitor 10s there in the front, old garage sale TV (my HDTV is in the living room, gonna switch em out soon), Dual CS-5000 turntable there on top of the right speaker (the wood absorbs the vibration quite well, vinyl doesn't seem disturbed from the speakers vibration), Fiio E7 on the table there for use with my laptop, and my dad's fairly large record collection on the shelf on the left there. I have a couch to the right by the cassete tape shelf that is by a Darkvoice 337 and a pair of Beyer DT770 Pro/80s. The Polks sound GEAT with vinyl but the passive radiator is not good for blasting hip hop music for the bass, it can only give you bass you can hear vs bass you can feel, and to get it to the point where you can feel the bass, you are on the edge of blowing the midbass drivers since that is what is moving the radiator. Should I move that turntable? Also, would a pair of Totem Dreamcatcher speakers (http://www.stereophile.com/content/totem-dreamcatcher-loudspeaker) with a pair of Polk PSW110 subwoofers sound better than the current polks with said subwoofers? I'm not sure where to put my money. Either that setup with maybe a stereo Harman receiver/amp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198F89A/sr=1-14/qid=1309898820/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1309898820&sr=1-14&seller=) or a Marantz PM5004 integrated amp thrown in with my current setup (http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-PM5004-Integrated-Amplifier-Black/dp/B003R7KMTC/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0). What do you guys think?

Pic:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=680DD1A57B6855DB&id=680DD1A57B6855DB%21352

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4,664 of 10,933

Quote:
Keep a pair of stock apple earbuds near your setup. Whenever you feel the need to upgrade while browsing head-fi, plug those earbuds into your source, play a 128 kbps file, and proceed to rape your ears for a few minutes. Afterwards, plug in your regular gear and be awed/happy at what you have. It also helps to chant "laws of diminishing return" repeatedly.

It doesn't work all the time but its usually enough to stave off most of my urges to upgrade. Its like having a nice meal before shopping for groceries.

I have a friend that plays 128cbr mp3's through his audiophile set up.

I want to hurt him..... badly.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back