Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #4,291 of 10,932
Yeah - I have the experience of being creative on the piano at the age of 5 and could never shake it off. That's how it all began for me - and also on an ancient piano. But being a music lover and audiophile also has it wonderful benefits....Nice to meet you mate.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #4,292 of 10,932
What do you think of the DT990 for rock? I have the DT770/80 Pro for hip hop and they are good for that but terrible for rock.

Quote:

My office.

The Mac Mini on my desk can be remotely controlled from my iPhone. It’s used to wirelessly stream music …

… to different locations in my flat.

For example upstairs to the living room.

Or to my favorite place for headphone listening:

Recently the AKG K701 has been replaced by a Beyerdynamic DT 990 (600 Ω version) …

… which works in wonderful synergy with the Schiit Valhalla headphone amp.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4,293 of 10,932

Quote:
What do you think of the DT990 for rock?

I think they are great for rock, because they have very clear and detailled highs and the deepest and most powerful bass I’ve heard so far from any headphone. They also have great dynamics, power, muscle and punch, but I guess this probably also depends on the amp.

Can’t say anything about how they sound with contemporary rock, but the more classic rock songs from my collection (Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Free, Humble Pie, Steppenwolf, Cream, The Doors, some live songs from Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix or Lucinda Williams for example) do sound great with these headphones.

Werner.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4,294 of 10,932
For somebody that already has Mopads, could you please measure how much the lift up the speakers off the desk? I have a hutch above my desk and only about 2" clearance between the hutch and my speakers so I don't know if I can fit Mopads in. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #4,295 of 10,932

Quote:
For somebody that already has Mopads, could you please measure how much the lift up the speakers off the desk? I have a hutch above my desk and only about 2" clearance between the hutch and my speakers so I don't know if I can fit Mopads in. Thanks!

They are almost exactly 2 inches.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #4,297 of 10,932
I'm not sure on what to get to compliment my DT770 Pros. They are the only premium audiophile can I have ever owned besides my recent purchase of my Shure SE215 IEMs (which are great, especially for around $100 USD). I feel that I should try another brand besides Beyer, and Grados are said to be good for rock. Heard any Grados? And how are those AKG K701s for rock? Sorry to blast you with a million questions LOL I'm just a very curious beginner audiophile. I have a Darkvoice 337, which is supposedly THE match for the DT880s, so I'm sure the DT990 600ohms would sound great, especially since it is a tube amp.

Quote:

I think they are great for rock, because they have very clear and detailled highs and the deepest and most powerful bass I’ve heard so far from any headphone. They also have great dynamics, power, muscle and punch, but I guess this probably also depends on the amp.

Can’t say anything about how they sound with contemporary rock, but the more classic rock songs from my collection (Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Free, Humble Pie, Steppenwolf, Cream, The Doors, some live songs from Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jimi Hendrix or Lucinda Williams for example) do sound great with these headphones.

Werner.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #4,298 of 10,932

Quote:
[…] Heard any Grados? And how are those AKG K701s for rock? […]

Sorry, I have no personal listening experience with any Grado model. However, I cannot recommend the AKG K701 for rock. I’ve been using them for the last two years, and they certainly are not the best cans for this kind of music.

There seems to be an general agreement that the best match for high impedance headphones are OTL (output transformerless) tube amps, which I certainly can confirm. The AKG K701 (62 Ω) was not exactly a perfect match for my type of headphone amp (Schiit Valhalla, OTL tube amp). Whenever I moved the volume knob beyond the 2 o’clock position things sounded bad and something like distorsions became audible. Not that I like or can stand this volume for long time, but with the DT 990 it’s possible to move the Valhalla’s volume knob to the maximum position, and everything still sounds fine. In contrast, when using the AKG K701 I always felt that volume and power (not to be confused with loudness) were a little weak and thin with any amplifier I tried.

Werner.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #4,300 of 10,932

Since PC is not the place I usually listen to music it's not that rich of HiFi stuff except of course my SR80i which I plug in when I do listen to music.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #4,302 of 10,932
first post here :)

img0833bc.jpg

img0748y.jpg

I just switched the plant with my left speaker position..didn't seem right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back